You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

New Mexico vs Arizona differences?

11 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
7,195 posts
8,951 battles

Finally started using USS New Mexico a little, and got looking at Arizona and New Mexico and wondering what are the differences between? I know Arizona was in the preceding class of BBs to the New Mexico and their appearances look rather similar, but looks can be deceiving. Anyone have a spreadsheet or something comparing the 2 of them?

[RKLES]
Members
7,195 posts
8,951 battles
2 minutes ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

Historical or in game?  

Both will be great if possible since I need the in game comparisons, but I do have a love of history as well. :Smile_Default:

[SPTR]
Members
3,474 posts
5,731 battles

The most noticable difference in game would be the guns. Arizona's gimmick is her extremely accurate artillery compared to New Mexico, at the expense of a slightly longer reload. Arizona's AA is weaker, but it's not like New Mexico can win any plane shooting contest either. The rest is standard USN supedread character: thick belt that allows you to get away with broadsiding against lower tier battleships some times, large areas of unarmored hull that eats IFHE and 16 inch overmatch left right and centre, and the standared, agnizing 21kts speed...

Historically New Mexico was revolutionary for its propulsion. Before her final refit, New Mexico was equipped with a electric propulsion system that achieved great efficiency, but it was eventually replaced with the more reliable and universal standard steam block. American designers also attempted the mono bridge design, influenced by the HMS Elizabeth class refit. It's outstanding performance has proven her supeority, yet unfortunately not all ships receieved enough funding to receieve such a refit. The USN doctrine before Pearl Harbor is to modernize the ships from the oldest ships to the newest. The proof is the Arizona, that had her cage mast replaced with the trimast.

New Mexico also have a newer gun mount with a more spacious turret, allowing for slightly less interference of the muzzle blast against gun accuracy.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,344 posts
9,536 battles

They're both different classes of US Navy "Standard Type" battleships. Nevada, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, California, and Colorado are the name ships of the classes, and a total of 12 of them were commissioned. As built they all had the following in common, 4 turrets, 2 on each end, abt 600 ft long, abt 97' beam, and abt 32,000 tons displacement. 13" thick belt and 3" of deck armor. They all do about 21 knots and have 700 yard turning radius. As they were built, there was just some incremental improvements

With Nevada as the base, with 10 guns (2 twins and 2 triples) and 2 shafts (Oklahoma was powered by triple expansion engines, Nevada had turbines)

Pennsylvania added 2 more guns for a total of 12, and went to 4 separate shafts.

New Mexico swapped the 14"/45 cal guns for 14"/50 cal guns, and added a clipper bow. (New Mexico herself had turbo-electric drive for a while, in the same machinery spaces, so it wasn't subdivided up well)

California lost the hull casemate guns, moved the secondary guns up a deck level and went fully turbo electric, and the machinery spaces were subdivided differently.

Colorado traded the triple 14"/50 cal gun turrets for twin 16"/45 cal gun turrets.

Edited by SgtBeltfed
  • Cool 1

[DRACS]
Members
3,503 posts

The primary difference is the guns.

Arizona uses the same 14/45 guns found on New York with its 1.8 sigma. More accurate but less velocity and penetration. Great against cruisers.

New Mexico uses 14/50 guns with a 1.5 sigma. Punchier but less accurate . Great against battleships.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,682 posts
8,120 battles
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:58 PM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Finally started using USS New Mexico a little, and got looking at Arizona and New Mexico and wondering what are the differences between? I know Arizona was in the preceding class of BBs to the New Mexico and their appearances look rather similar, but looks can be deceiving. Anyone have a spreadsheet or something comparing the 2 of them?

I don't have a spreadsheet, however, if you look at the in game armor viewer the chief difference between the two, is that (1) Arizona has a 37mm strip of plating above the torpedo belt while having a bad torpedo belt. 2) New Mexico has only standard hull plating but an exceptional ~47% torpedo belt and better AA. Very much like the difference between Alabama and North Carolina, they are very similar but different.

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles

An interesting historical aside is the story of the USS Nevada, a similar predecessor to the New Mexico. She was present at and the only BB to get underway during the Pearl Attack, fought through the entire war, survived both an underwater and aerial nuclear bomb detonation.

However the coolest thing is when she was used as a target ship after all of that.  The stationary Nevada was subjected to fire for "several" hours from multiple US warships, including the IOWA which was broadsiding her as well.  Finally, they say, Nevada rolled onto her side but Still Refused To Sink.  She was finally dispatched by an aerial torp amidships which means either into the deck or the bottom of the hull.

That's how tough US BB hulls really were.

Edited by BullHalsey

1,542 posts
26 battles

I sort of noticed a few differences between these two ships- Arizona is the faster of the two but has less armor. NM can turn much easier and has better maneuverability all around I feel but she needs it because she is generally a closer range ship. 

I prefer New Mexico despite her slow speed though. I feel she can really take a punch 

[MOH]
Members
233 posts
1,250 battles

Although the US fast battleships (NC, South Dakota, and Iowa classes) tend to dominate the spotlight during WW2, the older Standards have an amazing history and battle record.  They were all pretty much rebuilt and modernized throughout the war to various degrees, and contributed greatly towards the war effort.  With the exception of their low speed, they were really ahead of their time when built, and the US's design choices to emphasize heavy firepower, a tight tactical turn radius, and both heavy armor and torpedo protection paid off in dividends during the Pacific Campaign. 

US Standard improvements were incremental, progressive, and easy to follow during this time: 

Nevada's - 575', 10x 14"/45 cal guns, revolutionary "all-or-nothing" armor scheme, oil-only propulsion, heavier deck armor compared to other world navies

Pennsylvania's -- 600', 12x 14"/45 cal guns, improved underwater protection

New Mexico's - 624', 12x 14"/50 cal guns, clipper bow, better sea keeping

Tennessee's - 624', 12x 14"/50 cal guns, heavily improved TDS, some main battery gun changes allowing for longer range of fire

Colorado's - 624', 8x 16"/45 cal guns

The New York, Nevada, and Pennsylvania classes all used the 14"/45 cal guns.  The New Mexico and Tennessee used the 14"/50 cal guns.  The Colorado used 16"/45cal Mark1 guns.  The North Carolina and Alabama's both fired the 16"/45cal Mark6 guns, and the Iowa's fired the 16"/50cal Mark7 guns.  Had the Montana's been built, they too would have used the 16"/50cal Mark7 guns.  And had naval history taken a different turn and dreadnoughts continued to be the top dog of the fleet, post-Montana designs would have probably used an 18"/47 cal design firing a 3,850lb super heavy shell.  Take that, Yamato!

• Cool 1

[-GPS-]
Members
108 posts
5,685 battles

I like the NM and the AZ, very comparable for the most part. AZ was worth the money as she carried me to rank 1 a few seasons ago :Smile_medal: