You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aquinian

Hakuryu, or Khabarovsk?

13 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
1,790 battles

I'm still a relatively new player, but I've been grinding out T10s so that I have options as I continue to learn. So far I've unlocked Zao, Yamato, and Z-52. I'm debating whether next to unlock Hakuryu, or Khabarovsk and I'm stuck in the decision.

The argument for Hakuryu would be to ensure that I have through T10 of every class. The downside is that big changes are coming to CVs and it's unclear if having a T10 unlocked right now is a benefit, or a risk.

The argument for Khabarovsk would be that it seems like it'll be a lot of fun to play. :) The downside is that I wouldn't have a T10 CV.

I'm also open to other suggestions, if folks think this is the entirely wrong way to be thinking about it.

Thanks!

Aquinian

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles

khaba

With 1,000 battles, there's no way you're ready for a tier 10 CV (which are ridiculously hard to play)

Edited by megadeux
typo
  • Cool 4

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
4,040 battles

I think the arguments against CV that you propose, OP, are not likely to be relevant.  Historically, when WG has made changes to the tech tree, they are more than fair to players that have already invested in the things they change.  Having a T10 in port in each class may have some value to you, but I think the real argument against is the skill investment.  If you invest enough time to play a T10 CV well in the current game, it's tough not to say you would have wasted that time.  By all accounts, CV game play is being rebuilt from the ground up, and it seems likely that the skills that serve a CV player well now may not translate into how CV's will play after the rework.

As far as the Khabarovsk (or any line, for that matter) I can only comment to tier 8 at the most.  Kiev, IIRC, is supposed to be very similar in play style to Khab, and so far I haven't grasped the RU DD/(CL, really) gunboat playstyle.  But I still have a low battle count.  I have to learn to stay a bit further back early on, and shoot from max range.

Are you considering any other lines?

• Cool 1

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,662 posts
10,328 battles

If you actually want to be able to play your tier 10 without sitting in Q forever I'd go with the Khab.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles

Something tells me you would have a lot of trouble in either, but get Khab if you want to keep your sanity and karma over -100,000.

Although if you want to play CVs, I suggest watching videos and grinding up the entire line without using the slightest bit of free XP unless it is for modules.

Edited by GabeTheDespot
More accurately represents difficulty of CV play

Members
4 posts
1,790 battles

All of this makes sense.

If I went for the CV today, it wouldn't be because I would aim to be any good with it, today...it'd be in anticipation of the upcoming changes. I wouldn't even attempt to learn how to be good at the current CV style.

My initial view of T10 CAs (Zao) is that I'm still extremely (unexpectedly) squishy. In theory I like the "run around like a sneaky SOB" aspect of DDs. I love playing Loyang, Z-52, and Harekaze (although I am definitely still terrible). If I generally like the "run and gun" playstyle, any other suggestions besides Khab?

Also: thanks for pointing out, I have exactly 1000 battles! :)

[5D]
Members
1,246 posts
7,254 battles
17 minutes ago, Aquinian said:

All of this makes sense.

If I went for the CV today, it wouldn't be because I would aim to be any good with it, today...it'd be in anticipation of the upcoming changes. I wouldn't even attempt to learn how to be good at the current CV style.

My initial view of T10 CAs (Zao) is that I'm still extremely (unexpectedly) squishy. In theory I like the "run around like a sneaky SOB" aspect of DDs. I love playing Loyang, Z-52, and Harekaze (although I am definitely still terrible). If I generally like the "run and gun" playstyle, any other suggestions besides Khab?

Also: thanks for pointing out, I have exactly 1000 battles! :)

German cruisers are quite run and gun barring some tactical situations.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,348 posts
9,546 battles

Basically Apples and Oranges.

A DD could be fun to drive, you've been there, ect...

Free XPing into a Tier 10 CV would be quite the learning curve and I wouldn't do that on your First tier 10 CV line. (rework or not, probably not a good idea.)

[FML]
Members
1,767 posts
10,144 battles
2 hours ago, Fishrokk said:

I think the arguments against CV that you propose, OP, are not likely to be relevant.  Historically, when WG has made changes to the tech tree, they are more than fair to players that have already invested in the things they change.  Having a T10 in port in each class may have some value to you, but I think the real argument against is the skill investment.  If you invest enough time to play a T10 CV well in the current game, it's tough not to say you would have wasted that time.  By all accounts, CV game play is being rebuilt from the ground up, and it seems likely that the skills that serve a CV player well now may not translate into how CV's will play after the rework.

As far as the Khabarovsk (or any line, for that matter) I can only comment to tier 8 at the most.  Kiev, IIRC, is supposed to be very similar in play style to Khab, and so far I haven't grasped the RU DD/(CL, really) gunboat playstyle.  But I still have a low battle count.  I have to learn to stay a bit further back early on, and shoot from max range.

Are you considering any other lines?

I agree with this; OP grind the Khab :-)

Members
1,158 posts
6,939 battles

khaba.    its non stop action from the start of the match until you die.  one of the best DD hunters and flame throwing ships in the game. 

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
4 hours ago, megadeux said:

khaba

With 1,00 battles, there's no way you're ready for a tier 10 CV (which are ridiculously hard to play)

yup...and someone is bound to flip out as this is a game forum with an inordinate number of drama queens -- but please please please don't start playing ranked in a T10 CV with only 1K battles under your belt.   

[NG-NL]
Members
5,030 posts
8,269 battles
5 hours ago, Aquinian said:

I'm still a relatively new player, but I've been grinding out T10s so that I have options as I continue to learn. So far I've unlocked Zao, Yamato, and Z-52. I'm debating whether next to unlock Hakuryu, or Khabarovsk and I'm stuck in the decision.

The argument for Hakuryu would be to ensure that I have through T10 of every class. The downside is that big changes are coming to CVs and it's unclear if having a T10 unlocked right now is a benefit, or a risk.

The argument for Khabarovsk would be that it seems like it'll be a lot of fun to play. :) The downside is that I wouldn't have a T10 CV.

I'm also open to other suggestions, if folks think this is the entirely wrong way to be thinking about it.

Thanks!

Aquinian

Unless you can play Taiho very well (avg. at least 75K damage, able to do spotting and good bombing runs without needing to think), don't bother with Haku. Most of the CV unicums, in my experience, run their 10s--and if you're a green recruit compared to them, your teammates will hate your lack of experience.

Khab is much easier given your low battle count.

Members
4 posts
1,790 battles

Done. Khab it is. I'll pay attention to CVs after the revamp. Thanks, all!