You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Loose thoughts on premium ship purchases: input invited.

51 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,354 posts
4,275 battles

Under consideration:

Steam Anshan bundle:

PRO: Cheap (< $13CDN), includes doubloons & 6-pt captain. Uses standard torpedoes. Pan-Asian captain trainer (especially since the next transition is from Jianwei to Fushun!! Can go in scenario/operations. Tier 6 ranked may happen again someday.

CON: "Russian bias", LOL, albeit with a Communist Chinese flavour. (Do you like your Borscht with soy sauce?) Seriously, though, I have no experience with Russian destroyers above Tier 2, so this could be an interesting purchase in more ways than one!!!

Steam Texas bundle:

PRO: Cheap, as per Anshan. Lethal AA. America, (redacted) yeah camo. It's a Tier 5 premium battleship, unlike all my other Tier 5 battleships. Will be a good trainer if I ever take on US battleships.

CON: Do I really need another T5 battleship, especially since I haven't ground up US Tier 3 and 4?  Not eligible for scenarios. Will probably never see ranked battles at this tier again.

Yubari:

PRO: Cheap-ish (< $17 CDN). Quirky. Potentially useful XP booster for my Furutaka captain (since he's not going any higher). Could be a lot of fun in co-op or with Yamamoto.

CON: Vulnerable. Not able to win prizes, ships, tasks, etc. Will never see ranked.

Tachibana:

PRO: Dirt cheap (< $10CDN). Quirky. Gun and torpedo performance & layout is similar to early Royal Navy destroyers after they moved away from Turtleback hull profiles. Good for low-tier co-op fun/randoms suicide runs now that I've moved away from the Umikaze. LIkely useful for mining first-win XP in the destroyer captain and helping (a little) to retrain him as he moves up (the Isokaze is not that far away). Could be hilarious with Yamamoto, depending on where I eventually put him (I suspect he will end up on the Shinonome when I get her, so he will be DD-optimised).

CON: Relatively underarmed and fragile; Tier 2 XP gains are not really that huge. Not able to participate in tasks, prizes, etc. Will never see ranked.

I'm likely to get the Tachi regardless, just for the lulz and because she's so incredibly cheap. I may or may not get all of the others. Your thoughts on further pros and cons of all of these ships are welcome. Yes, I could get a "better" premium ship for something like the price of some or all of these (e.g. the Steam bundles plus Yubari vs. the Perth; the whole lot vs. the Gallant), but it's not a bad price for FOUR ships.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[BLUMR]
Members
2,049 posts
7,233 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Under consideration:

Steam Anshan bundle:

PRO: Cheap (< $13CDN), includes doubloons & 6-pt captain. Uses standard torpedoes. Pan-Asian captain trainer. Can go in scenario/operations. Tier 6 ranked may happen again someday.

CON: "Russian bias", LOL, albeit with a Communist Chinese flavour. (Do you like your Borscht with soy sauce?)

Steam Texas bundle:

PRO: Cheap, as per Anshan. Lethal AA. America, (redacted) yeah camo. It's a Tier 5 premium battleship, unlike all my other Tier 5 battleships. Will be a good trainer if I ever take on US battleships.

CON: Do I really need another T5 battleship, especially since I haven't ground up US Tier 3 and 4?  Not eligible for scenarios. Will probably never see ranked battles at this tier again.

Yubari:

PRO: Cheap-ish (< $17 CDN). Quirky. Potentially useful XP booster for my Furutaka captain (since he's not going any higher). Could be a lot of fun in co-op or with Yamamoto.

CON: Vulnerable. Not able to win prizes, ships, tasks, etc. Will never see ranked.

Tachibana:

PRO: Dirt cheap (< $10CDN). Quirky. Gun and torpedo performance & layout is similar to early Royal Navy destroyers after they moved away from Turtleback hull profiles. Good for low-tier co-op fun/randoms suicide runs now that I've moved away from the Umikaze. LIkely useful for mining first-win XP in the destroyer captain and helping (a little) to retrain him as he moves up (the Isokaze is not that far away). Could be hilarious with Yamamoto, depending on where I eventually put him (I suspect he will end up on the Shinonome when I get her, so he will be DD-optimised).

CON: Relatively underarmed and fragile; Tier 2 XP gains are not really that huge. Not able to participate in tasks, prizes, etc. Will never see ranked.

I'm likely to get the Tachi regardless, just for the lulz and because she's so incredibly cheap. I may or may not get all of the others. Your thoughts on further pros and cons of all of these ships are welcome. Yes, I could get a "better" premium ship for something like the price of some or all of these (e.g. the Steam bundles plus Yubari vs. the Perth; the whole lot vs. the Gallant), but it's not a bad price for FOUR ships.

Tachi and yubari is awesome with yamamoto. I use same skills gor both aa loadout works for gun loadout on tachi

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

Low tier is low tier and high tier is high tier. Pick your poison and don't complain about it.

• I've not used Anshen
  • Texas is just New York with AA
  • Yubari is decent, just watch out for detonations
  • Tachibana I use for chasing other DDs (I don't use her much)

[ARGSY]
Members
6,354 posts
4,275 battles
2 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

Low tier is low tier and high tier is high tier. Pick your poison and don't complain about it.

No complaint is intended - I'm simply listing things (even blatantly obvious ones) that the various candidate ships can and cannot do. None of them are deal-breakers.

• Cool 1

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,843 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Under consideration:

Steam Anshan bundle:

PRO: Cheap (< $13CDN), includes doubloons & 6-pt captain. Uses standard torpedoes. Pan-Asian captain trainer (especially since the next transition is from Jianwei to Fushun!! Can go in scenario/operations. Tier 6 ranked may happen again someday.

CON: "Russian bias", LOL, albeit with a Communist Chinese flavour. (Do you like your Borscht with soy sauce?) Seriously, though, I have no experience with Russian destroyers above Tier 2, so this could be an interesting purchase in more ways than one!!!

Steam Texas bundle:

Yubari:

Tachibana:

I have looked everywhere for those Steam bundles and I can not see them in the Premium shop in game or on their website. How do I find them?

[ARGSY]
Members
6,354 posts
4,275 battles
Just now, Belthorian said:

I have looked everywhere for those Steam bundles and I can not see them in the Premium shop in game or on their website. How do I find them?

You formally log in to the WOWS website (top right corner). Then go to "ships".

Members
9,979 posts
2 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

You've verified your logged in? They should show under ships now....you might try logging out and in again.

After all the issues with one payment finally got cleared up, those bundles stacked up a lot of doubloons.

Edited by awiggin

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,843 battles
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Under consideration:

Steam Anshan bundle:

Steam Texas bundle:

Yubari:

Tachibana:

The Texas is an AMAZING ship. I will always recommend her. True she is slow but she is accurate, is a moving AA bubble. I have fun seal clubbing in her all the time. I have divisioned with a friend in his Texas.....many a yelp from baby seals was heard in that game.

[RLGN]
Members
8,278 posts
17,318 battles

Tachibana and Smith are both good lulzbotes, even if their guns aren’t much better than cork guns, their torpedoes reload so fast they can just about strafe low tier battleships with those.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,583 posts
3,751 battles

One pro of the Anshan is the built in 100% Free XP bonus it comes with. Sadly, it is not a Pan Asian Destroyer trainer for the whole line. The only ship in the line that needs EM is Fushun, Gadjah is workable and the rest are USN copies with the superfast traverse. You might therefore end up with a Commander that needs EM only for Anshan and Fushun.  That said, I still think it's a bargain, just for the camo.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,413 posts
9,602 battles

Anshan:  All of the Gnevny type DDs T5-T7 have the same 'habit' of use.

Guns Guns Guns..  and some suicide torps.  The Leningrad and Gremyashchy has usable torpedo range.  the rest are suicide range.

And the guns are S.L.O.W. turning, so get used to the 'Fire -- rudder -- wait -- Fire -- rudder -- wait" reflexes...  and this is still there with the new Victor captain.

Texas:  No CV -- same as the New York, except you can drop any US captain into it.  Battleships are more relaxing, like a 'lazy river ride'.

Texas:  CV battle -- they know enough to stay clear -- unless you are in a T7 battle where they can ignore your AA and give you a dunk.

Yubari:  Have one...  rarely play it except for weird missions.  Zuchinni is a better trainer for everything IJN, including CV captains.

Tachibana:  Toss your high tier DD captain in there for fun.  CE and RD really make that boat fun.  Spam torps every few seconds.  Do it for fun because you won't make many credits at T2.

To choose one of these?  Take the Texas.  It produces the highest credit/FXP per game, and it won't get deleted too quickly.

And Texas is also good for flag farming.

CON:  If you see two Hiryu on the other team -- hit reverse at battle start.

Members
142 posts

My two cents here would be definitely play the New York before you consider buying the Texas. If you don't like New York, you won't like Texas. All the others a bit more unique in how they play.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,843 battles
45 minutes ago, awiggin said:

You've verified your logged in? They should show under ships now....you might try logging out and in again.

After all the issues with one payment finally got cleared up, those bundles stacked up a lot of doubloons.

That worked, thanks....you have to go back to the Sergeant from Gomer Pyle, I can't get used to your new profile pic lol.

Members
3,564 posts
6,893 battles
1 hour ago, JessieTheKitty said:

Tachi and yubari is awesome with yamamoto. I use same skills gor both aa loadout works for gun loadout on tachi

Seriously? hmmmm. He likes the Yamato but has been getting uppity. Perhaps I'll put him in the Tachibana and see what happens.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
4,032 battles

I've got Anshan, and I'm glad I picked her up.  I've only driven her a few times, though.  For the most part, I followed the instructions in LWM's review.  One respondent above mentions that her guns turn slow.  If you (like me) aren't going to dedicate a captain to her, and don't want EM on your PA DD line captain, well, a versatile DD with slow guns is something you can get used to.  I'll probably train a captain for Anshan specifically at some point (especially now that I have LoYang).

Here's me not completely sucking, driving Anshan:

(Shouts out to my FF div mates, and our div that was on the opfor as well as @Lord_Zath for featuring my replay!)

That said, whether you have her or not, the Steam bundle (which I bought, but got doubloons since I already had the boat) is a good value.  In fact, I thought all of them were.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,364 battles

I love the Yubari, but the Yubari sale doesn't look like as much of a sale as some of the others, so I might wait to see if that can be had cheaper.

Anshan is a great ship, IMHO, but it does suffer from the mid-tier Russian DD problem of bad turret traverse.  This is also a problem on Fushun, but less so on Gadjah Mada and is not a problem at all from Hsienyang up.  So, if you were going to build a dedicated captain for Anshan (or Fushun), you would probably take EM at 12 captain points.  You can operate without EM, and thus can use the ship as a trainer for a captain who will move up the line without retraining (without EM), but I would mount the turret traverse module and play in a certain way - pre-train your guns, and be ready to kite, i.e., keep the action to one side of your ship as if you were a BB.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,278 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yubari:

Pro: Enjoy hours of unadulterated glee as foolish CV Captains fly their planes over you; and then wonder where the pieces are. EXCELLENT AA. best in tier, and better than many tier 5s. Also, outstanding accuracy with her 140 mm guns with her special update module; gun arcs like a Russian DD.

Cons: WORST HP pool of any tier 4 Cruiser, absolutely the bottom of the barrel. Also, a difficult ship to master, plays much like RN Cruisers, but without smoke, which she used to have when I first got her.

She is a really fun ship if you choose to put in the hours to play her right.

56 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

and some suicide torps

Anshan has 8 K torps, and her detection range can be dropped to 6.5 K, giving you a 1.5 K safety range; hardly suicidal.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,049 posts
7,233 battles
38 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Seriously? hmmmm. He likes the Yamato but has been getting uppity. Perhaps I'll put him in the Tachibana and see what happens.

Do PM, LS, DEMO, AFT, IFHE, CE 

shes best gunbote at t2

[ARGSY]
Members
6,354 posts
4,275 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Tachibana and Smith are both good lulzbotes, even if their guns aren’t much better than cork guns, their torpedoes reload so fast they can just about strafe low tier battleships with those.

1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

One pro of the Anshan is the built in 100% Free XP bonus it comes with. Sadly, it is not a Pan Asian Destroyer trainer for the whole line. The only ship in the line that needs EM is Fushun, Gadjah is workable and the rest are USN copies with the superfast traverse. You might therefore end up with a Commander that needs EM only for Anshan and Fushun.  That said, I still think it's a bargain, just for the camo.

1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

Anshan:  All of the Gnevny type DDs T5-T7 have the same 'habit' of use.

Guns Guns Guns..  and some suicide torps.  The Leningrad and Gremyashchy has usable torpedo range.  the rest are suicide range.

And the guns are S.L.O.W. turning, so get used to the 'Fire -- rudder -- wait -- Fire -- rudder -- wait" reflexes...  and this is still there with the new Victor captain.

Texas:  No CV -- same as the New York, except you can drop any US captain into it.  Battleships are more relaxing, like a 'lazy river ride'.

Texas:  CV battle -- they know enough to stay clear -- unless you are in a T7 battle where they can ignore your AA and give you a dunk.

Yubari:  Have one...  rarely play it except for weird missions.  Zuchinni is a better trainer for everything IJN, including CV captains.

Tachibana:  Toss your high tier DD captain in there for fun.  CE and RD really make that boat fun.  Spam torps every few seconds.  Do it for fun because you won't make many credits at T2.

To choose one of these?  Take the Texas.  It produces the highest credit/FXP per game, and it won't get deleted too quickly.

And Texas is also good for flag farming.

CON:  If you see two Hiryu on the other team -- hit reverse at battle start.

Fun is the whole aim with the Tachi - will probably pick up the Smith too, if she ever comes back at a reasonable price, but the Tachi is the nearest thing and is here now. By Zucchini you are talking about the Ishizuchi? I've got that.

Which flags do you farm in the Texas, and by what means?

1 hour ago, Poharan said:

My two cents here would be definitely play the New York before you consider buying the Texas. If you don't like New York, you won't like Texas. All the others a bit more unique in how they play.

I have the Iron Duke and the Bretagne at the moment; I like the Bretagne a little more (or at least I seem to get more wins in her). How do New York/Texas compare to them for the ship vs ship aspects?

48 minutes ago, Lillehuntrix said:

I love the Yubari, but the Yubari sale doesn't look like as much of a sale as some of the others, so I might wait to see if that can be had cheaper.

Anshan is a great ship, IMHO, but it does suffer from the mid-tier Russian DD problem of bad turret traverse.  This is also a problem on Fushun, but less so on Gadjah Mada and is not a problem at all from Hsienyang up.  So, if you were going to build a dedicated captain for Anshan (or Fushun), you would probably take EM at 12 captain points.  You can operate without EM, and thus can use the ship as a trainer for a captain who will move up the line without retraining (without EM), but I would mount the turret traverse module and play in a certain way - pre-train your guns, and be ready to kite, i.e., keep the action to one side of your ship as if you were a BB.

I think I just missed a cheaper sale on the Yubari, though I may be misremembering. She's still a sub-$20 premium, though. Will consider.

As for the Anshan and the EM thing - I don't anticipate going any higher than the Gadjah on the pan-Asian line, and since she can't torpedo other DDs I might as well enhance her guns as much as possible. If I'm going to sail in US destroyers, I would prefer the versions with standard torpedoes. I'm at the Jianwei now but if we already had the British destroyers I quite frankly wouldn't even be going to the Gadjah; I'd just grind up the British line to the JKL-class (which I hope they offer). As she is basically a premium Fushun with standard torpedoes, Anshan isn't that different from what I'm moving up to soon anyway.

That being said, if the British DDs come out later this year, I'll most probably be ditching the Pan-Asians to open up the port slot (unless we get a mid-tier offer similar to the French Battleship line). The only reason I really started climbing the pan-Asian line is that quite a few of them are ex-British or (in Jianwei's case) minor recasts of IRL British destroyers (Jianwei, though a paper design, is basically a Broke-class destroyer leader). That Free XP bonus aspect to the camo is tempting, though.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,413 posts
9,602 battles
33 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Which flags do you farm in the Texas, and by what means?

Dreadnought, fireproof, unsinkable, dev strike, secondary (with AA cruiser captain)

Never got a Kracken, but I was very close.

They changed clear skies - but I got a couple of those too.  Can't even find it on the achievements..

[ARGSY]
Members
6,354 posts
4,275 battles

Update: in order to cheer myself up after a busy, stressful and depressing early part of the week (including a session last night that was plagued by ping times in the two-second region), I got all four. 

The people who convinced me it's a right and proper thing to buy stuff in this game have created a monster. :cap_haloween:

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
250 posts
2,169 battles

Texas :  Slow, but very consistent and reliable.   AA is an absolute beast.  One game, some fool Hiryuus tried to do strikes on me and another Texas.  Let's just say their pilots never made back to their ships, and the Hiryuus never bothered either of us again.

Yubari:  Even though it was my first premium (came with the beta package), it's always been a mixed bag for me.  Last week I almost sold it for scrap.  Yesterday, I had a grand time in a game.  Very much love/hate relationship here.

Members
1,866 posts
8,968 battles
48 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Update: in order to cheer myself up after a busy, stressful and depressing early part of the week (including a session last night that was plagued by ping times in the two-second region), I got all four. 

The people who convinced me it's a right and proper thing to buy stuff in this game have created a monster. :cap_haloween:

You already have the Fiji, grind the Lyon and Leberecht Maass and you're set.

That's really as good as it gets, everybody mistakenly hopes if they can just get "X" it will get better.

Edited by CaptainTeddybear