Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Best Blind Torpedo Salvo

18 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
2,276 posts
9,849 battles

Sometimes it is area denial, sometimes it just a use for loaded torps that you won't need for a while anyway, but what is your best result (most hits, most damage) from a blind torp launch? Launching into smoke  isn't really blind but may count if there were ships there you didn't expect.

My best is in the Flyfire (Gearing). Capped B and heading at high speed to C. Torps loaded so I launched all ten torps over my shoulder toward the A cap and raced on. A bit later the results rolled in, 7 hits on 3 ships for 93K+ damage. No sinkings and most repaired their floodings fairly quickly :Smile_sad: but a good start anyway. None of the ships were yet spotted by anybody. We did end up winning that game.

Sometimes RNG loves you.

Edited by Sabot_100

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

I fired blindly for area denial purposes in my Atago and two BBs ended up sailing straight into them for a little over 100k initial damage plus some flooding.  I didn't do much for the rest of the game, but ended up getting about 170k damage lol.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,838 posts
13,778 battles

Several months back I was playing the Yugumo on Sea of Fortune. I was trying to sink a Yamato who was camping north of the B cap. First set of torps fired sank a stealthed Shima. Waited for the tubes to reload and decided to try getting the Yammy again. Sank another Stealthed Shima. I wasn't upset my torps didn't hit the Yammy but its odd for Shimas to throw themselves in front of a Camping BB to save it from torps. 

But this set of surprise torp are great because I have the proof. [see below] 

Spoiler

• Cool 1

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,233 battles

Think of it as herding cattle

[DRACS]
Members
3,503 posts

Was in my Gearing, under heavy fire, and tossed out a bunch of desperation torps at an Iowa 10km away before dying and losing visibility to it.

Watched the torps go and clearly miss him. I was sad.

15 seconds later, they hit and sunk an Ibuki I'd never spotted at all that match. I was happy again.

It's moments like those that make me love playing that ship ;)

[CVA16]
Members
2,276 posts
9,849 battles
40 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

I wasn't upset my torps didn't hit the Yammy but its odd for Shimas to throw themselves in front of a Camping BB to save it from torps.

One my great frustrations as a DD captain. Doing what I am supposed to do, cruising out in front of my BBs/CAs spotting while unspotted and suddenly run into the wall-o-torps meant for the guys I'm screening. Murphy dictates that this happens when I'm broadside to the torps and my rudder is already turning in the wrong direction for a successful torpedo beat.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,718 posts
4,737 battles

I don't get many blind ones.  Best into smoke though.  That just happened recently

[CVA16]
Members
2,276 posts
9,849 battles
8 minutes ago, vonKaiser said:

I don't get many blind ones. 

Don't get many either. Getting one hit out of two blind salvos would be great. Getting 7 of 10 was something I will never have happen again.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,445 posts
8,088 battles

My best was in Scharnhorst of all things. Tier 9 match, go to take a cap because lord knows my team wont, getting absolutely pulverized and know I'm going to get sunk soon, see an Iowa/Mo on the other side of a mountain just barely in range and visible just long enough to see where the aim line was at the time and get an idea. Turn the ship, based on the way the line had been moving estimated where he would and fire just before I go down. Waiting, waiting, waiting - and every torp hits at the absolute max range they have. And bonus - he burned DCP before I hit him and flooded to death. 

Members
706 posts

killing two ships (DD) and crippling a third (DD) thus getting a double strike in the Sims using the wheezy Bliss Leavitt torps, basically I took out the other teams DD's (I finish off the third DD about 1min or so later when it came into view with my guns)

obviously wasn't a massive damage score and there was a big chunk of luck involved, but it removed the DD threat from the other team, and as you can guess there were accusations of cheating in chat from some of the salty sinkers, though the guy in the third DD did congratulate me, as I could only see him once he fired at me.

most of the time (vs. my other DD's) I do crap in the Sims.

[PVE]
Members
25 posts
1,628 battles

A game from this weekend, playing the Wickes on Big Race.

Headed into the islands in the SW, found the enemy Clemson at less then 4km.

I went into full panic mode and fired all my torps on the side of my ship and spun to bring the other side to bear.

He dodges all of the first round of torps, but this left him unable to dodge the other side.

As my second round of torps is heading to inevitably sink him, the sound effect goes off to let me know that I sunk an enemy destroyer, then another one, then the Clemson in a span of 5 seconds.

My team starts going nuts trying to figure out what I did, all I told them was "I meant to do that."

Edited by Vladeshi
typo
  • Funny 2

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Had one in my T-22 on Neighbors a while back. I saw an enemy DD smoking up by an island and shot both my launchers at him from about a km short of max range. I didn't expect to get anything. So imagine my surprise when First Blood, two Devastating Strikes, and a Double Strike pop up shortly after the torps enter the smoke. Turns out I had gotten his buddy in a Kirov too.:Smile_teethhappy:

Another time, I can't even remember what DD I was in, once again on Neighbors. I spy a New York coming up in the distance. He hasn't spotted me, so I wait patiently for him to get far enough behind the island that he's about to pass that I can nail him on the other side and drop fish. I wait, it looks good, I may miss one or two but he's holding course, all set up for a good hit and... Devastating Strike! Where'd that Budyonny come from that I just killed?

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
420 posts
12,951 battles

A couple of months ago, I was doing a figure-8 around 2 islands in a Furutaka.  I saw a wounded Orion was approaching from the other direction and heading for the channel between the two.  I was hiding behind one island, but since it was late in the game, I decided to pop out and let loose both racks of torpedoes into the channel, before going back into hiding.  About 20 seconds later, I get an alert that I sank a ship.  Five seconds after that I get a second alert saying that I floundered an enemy battleship, and the battle ended.  I had to check to detail result screen to see that I sank an enemy Minekaze, and the Orion.  

[SYN]
Members
546 posts
6,157 battles

Well, it wasn't exactly blind, but it was unexpected. I was in the Shimikaze on the westernmost cap (C?) on Ocean. I fired a spread of 15 torpedoes at an NC going east to west at the northern border at about 11 km (close to max). Somewhere at about 6 km, a gearing took two, Dev Strike. The torps went on and on and on, the NC stayed steady, four hits for flooding and another Dev Strike. 

The Gearing was unexpected, not yet spotted. Then, the NC was unexpected, because I assumed he would WASD, or S, or A, or D after seeing the fate of the Gearing.  Nooo. Straight sailing. The only downside was the >10 second gap that denied a double strike. 

Members
842 posts

About 2 months ago, I got a once-in-a-life-time situation on Loop.  Was in a Shiratsuyu running TRB, bottom tier in a mostly T9 match.

We'd capped B and C and were contesting A, but got over-extended at C and both my supporting cruisers got blown apart in about a 20-second window. I was already exiting the bottom of C, and decided that discretion was the better part of valor, so I did a 180 and was running up the gap between B and C.

Saw that B was about to be over run, and was pretty sure C was gonna get capped before I could get back up to spot again, so I unloaded 2 tubes into B, then hit TRB and did another 2 at C.

Wasn't aiming at anything, was just hopping to force the opponents to dodge until we could regroup.

Blew apart a Hipper and Gadjah Mada at B with single torp hits, then a Yugumo at C with one hit, and a Lion at C with 3 torp hits who flooded out.  I had at least 2-minute stale info on where all 4 of them were. Double strike, triple devastating strike, and a Liquidator.  

Total blind luck. 

Not a bad rest of the game for me: lots of spotting damage, about 30k in gun + fire damage, but not another torp hit for the remaining 13 minutes. Feast or famine, indeed.  And yeah, still couldn't manage a Kraken or Confederate. Sigh. Did get a High Caliber, mostly from the 70k damage the torps+flooding did to the Lion.

Edited by EAnybody

[CVA16]
Members
2,276 posts
9,849 battles
23 hours ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

The torps went on and on and on, the NC stayed steady, four hits for flooding and another Dev Strike. 

Often wonder how you can have torps spotted forever and they continue on an still hit a target. Had a similar instance in a French CA (Martel I think). Fired torps at a BB at 4K and hit with 2, (he sank shortly to flooding and gun damage). Lone torp continued on and hit a cruiser that was 4k beyond the BB (he also sank soon after). He had to be looking in that direction. Maybe they think the torps spotted that far out will run out of gas before reaching them. I believe it was a Russian CA so he may have been basing threats on what his torps would do.

[AAA]
Members
427 posts
5,410 battles

Geade. I had been contesting A cap all game with almost no support. Already torped and sank a dd and damaged a cl with two torps. Kept a bb at bay with my 150s and he ran off. I tried to run as I took a ton of damage. Thought I was clean when la gal opened up on me and I saw him run aground. Then he vanished I fired torps on his direction. Got a hot and sank a dd as I took the final round from la gal. Then a torp struck la gal but no sinking. We needed the a cap to win and la gal would cap it. Then boom flooding sank him. Win

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this