You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
n00bot

Asashio Broken

104 comments in this topic

[PLPT]
Members
632 posts
6,810 battles

First off, I'm a DD main.  When a DD player says this ship is broken, you know it's f*in ridiculous.

image.thumb.png.24e2c8a0e398a17b1bd3572a8547f70f.png

OMGRLY!?  Over twice the average damage of the other Japanese Tier 8 premium torpedo boat Harekaze, and a 2-to-1 average K/D to boot.

WoWS is officially pay-to-win now.

DD's OP?  Add game-breaking radar.  OOPS!  Too many BB's now?  Add game-breaking DD.  wth WG!?  You are seriously idiotic.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 9

[POP]
Members
855 posts
9,759 battles

You'd have to play it.

Then, you'd know.  For Asashio to pay off, you have to have everything go just right.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
14 posts
1,830 battles
2 minutes ago, Gerbertz said:

You'd have to play it.

Then, you'd know.  For Asashio to pay off, you have to have everything go just right.

Well I think the stats tell a bit of a different tale, don't you?

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[PLPT]
Members
632 posts
6,810 battles
2 minutes ago, Gerbertz said:

For Asashio to pay off, you have to have everything go just right.

By the stats, that seems to happen pretty often.

Full disclosure: I do not own an Asashio.

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles

And yet i've seen so many of those burned down without doing anything because they want to wait for their obvious targets without doing what DD do like capping and those useful DD things that most DD do.

I've been in more than a couple matches now where the Asashio declares they won't be capping but BB hunting. How useful.

I'm more scared of a Kag or Loy lurking around.

[ERN]
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,123 posts
4,270 battles

wasd hacks isn't op as people think

[YAN]
Members
1,640 posts
7,467 battles
Just now, MajorRenegade said:

wasd hacks isn't op as people think

Incredibly hard to WASD what can appear from anytime or anyplace and physically cannot, not, set flooding on you unless your a Yamato or Sodak class.

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
Just now, Akeno017 said:

Incredibly hard to WASD what can appear from anytime or anyplace and physically cannot, not, set flooding on you unless your a Yamato or Sodak class.

Play enough and it's not hard to guess what a single trick pony will do. If you are a BB and you know they have one of these on the enemy team you make sure to stick with your group and change course and speed every 10-15 seconds to make sure you aren't derping...i mean sailing in a straight line.

• Cool 1

[YAN]
Members
1,640 posts
7,467 battles
2 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

change course and speed every 10-15 seconds to make sure you aren't derping...i mean sailing in a straight line.

That's assuming that changing course doest immediately lead you straight into torps, which is what I always get. Straightlining seems like it would do me favours tbh.

[PLPT]
Members
632 posts
6,810 battles
7 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

Play enough and it's not hard to guess what a single trick pony will do. If you are a BB and you know they have one of these on the enemy team you make sure to stick with your group and change course and speed every 10-15 seconds to make sure you aren't derping...i mean sailing in a straight line.

I did that actually, in a very maneuverable Gneisenau, and I even saw the Scharn go down.  Didn’t help.  I knew what was coming and from where but still couldn’t avoid it.  That’s what set me off on this thread.

Edited by n00bot

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
11 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

That's assuming that changing course doest immediately lead you straight into torps, which is what I always get. Straightlining seems like it would do me favours tbh.

Since this is a naval game i thought this might be useful;

https://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/behind-the-scenes/blog/zig-zagging-how-confuse-enemy-sea

ZZ_small.jpg

Edited by xalmgrey

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
2 minutes ago, n00bot said:

I did that actually, in a very maneuverable Gneisenau, and I even saw the Scharn go down.  Didn’t help.  I knew what was coming and from where but still couldn’t avoid it.  That’s what set me off on this thread.

Yeah and you will get this from other high tier DD too. It happens. I'm a BB player most of the time although i enjoy all classes for different times. This ship is hilarious. It's over hyped and a one trick pony. It has to hide from everyone. It can only really scare two types of ships and when / if there are none it becomes an extremely mediocre gun ship at best. I think LWM said it was pretty abysmal as a gun boat in the review even.

All its got is those one trick pony torps which can be negated by your team mates. That boat looks for BB with no screen ships neaby. Other DD mess them up. and CA's love how they are immune to the torps so they will chase it down the moment its seen.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
855 posts
9,759 battles
11 minutes ago, n00bot said:

By the stats, that seems to happen pretty often.

Full disclosure: I do not own an Asashio.

I think there are a great many good DD players that bought the Asashio.

Those same players can take any other DD and have good games with them.

I like the Asashio but the first thing I noticed was how limited it is, kinda like a CV that has lost all its fighters.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
1,841 posts
12,880 battles
1 hour ago, n00bot said:

That is why I hate stats,

1. They always throw it at you to try to prove a point
  2. They're always someone that is going to read/misinterpret and then draw a conclusion that will make sense to them based on what they see.

Then the question is, what do I see with these stats. I see a apple vs orange situation in that they're both fruit BUT there is a difference.

• The Asashio has a very small sample size compared to the other DDs
  • The Asashio is a premium ship compared to the others 
  • The Asashio is probably being driven by Torp DDs drivers to begin with, which accounts for the low Battles.
  • Compared to other premium DDs, the Asashio is not that popular so far.

With any new ship, DMG in the beginning will high but then tapper off. Now a better way to compare these new ships stats is, at the 3 month mark

1. make a print screen of the Asashio stat, and compare that with the stats of the say  Harekaze at the 3 month mark as well.
  2. Analise  the changes.
  3. come up with a valid conclusion based that comparison.

Based on the current stats, BBs are not that smart in facing the Asashio but that will change soon. Cheers!

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,217 battles
37 minutes ago, ElectroCoop said:

Well I think the stats tell a bit of a different tale, don't you?

Not really, as most of the players who first purchase new premium ships are better than average players, so it should come as no surprise that they can get her to perform well. Then take into account that no one has had enough games against her to figure out how to hard counter her yet, and those stats are probably somewhat misleading. Players have played less than 9,000 games in her, while every other DD listed has at least ten times that many games. Let her play a few thousand more games and see where she sits at, say the 100,000 game mark.

24 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

I think LWM said it was pretty abysmal as a gun boat in the review even.

The guns themselves are good but have been saddled with a crap ROF.

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles

I had one hunting my scharn just recently. I managed to nail him with a torp while he was hiding in the smoke.

The irony didn't elude me.

Edited by xalmgrey
  • Funny 2

[XBRTC]
Members
1,414 posts
7,427 battles
49 minutes ago, n00bot said:

so, if you knew that it was coming and you had a good idea from where... why weren't you using your hydro? and don't you have a spotter / fighter that you can put up to spot torpedoes with?

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,310 posts
6,590 battles

When I see people bringing up the average damage, I can't help but facepalm.

Especially in this case, the average damage is a rather pointless stat to use, due to the different targets each ship focuses.

Even before I looked at your picture I knew that LoYang qould be one of, if not the, lowest ships in terms of damage. And you know why? Because LoYang is a cap contester, with her primary target being Destroyers. Her low average damage reflects that. Of course no one would attempt to say that LoYang is a bad ship, this current Ranked season proves that she is a very strong ship indeed.

Now for Asashio, what are her primary targets? Battleships, Battleships, and once again Battleships. She doesn't fight other DDs well, and Cruisers are her nightmare. She gets her Lion share from the Battleships, which are known for their high hit pools. So of course her average damage is higher than the one of a DD that focuses other classes equally...

• Cool 6

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
3 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

When I see people bringing up the average damage, I can't help but facepalm.

Especially in this case, the average damage is a rather pointless stat to use, due to the different targets each ship focuses.

Even before I looked at your picture I knew that LoYang qould be one of, if not the, lowest ships in terms of damage. And you know why? Because LoYang is a cap contester, with her primary target being Destroyers. Her low average damage reflects that. Of course no one would attempt to say that LoYang is a bad ship, this current Ranked season proves that she is a very strong ship indeed.

Now for Asashio, what are her primary targets? Battleships, Battleships, and once again Battleships. She doesn't fight other DDs well, and Cruisers are her nightmare. She gets her Lion share from the Battleships, which are known for their high hit pools. So of course her average damage is higher than the one of a DD that focuses other classes equally...

imagssssssssses.jpg

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,839 posts
1,327 battles
3 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

People like the OP do not like to get confused by the facts while they're telling everyone the sky is falling...

[INTEL]
Members
8,581 posts
25,683 battles
17 hours ago, n00bot said:

First off, I'm a DD main.  When a DD player says this ship is broken, you know it's f*in ridiculous.

OMGRLY!?  Over twice the average damage of the other Japanese Tier 8 premium torpedo boat Harekaze, and a 2-to-1 average K/D to boot.

WoWS is officially pay-to-win now.

DD's OP?  Add game-breaking radar.  OOPS!  Too many BB's now?  Add game-breaking DD.  wth WG!?  You are seriously idiotic.

What the stats show, when read properly, is that Asashio is weak and not very effective. I hate seeing them on my team. The team needs DDs killed, but Asashio can't do it. It needs caps taken, but no DD fears an Asashio, because it has no torps. Early DD kills mean better chance of team victory. Asashio can't contribute well there.

Asashio is like Conk, gets gaudy damage numbers, doesn't win. Asashio has a LOWER win rate than Kidd and only a bit higher than Z23 and Hsienyang. This despite the fact that it is being played by captains who bought because they judged they could play it well. The other T8 DDs have effect guns and torps that can win cap battles. Asashio can't. 

New boats have high win rates. Once more people have it, that win rate will fall. Damage is nice, but only Ws count. Asashio can't generate Ws.

[RE]
Members
485 posts
18,140 battles

the 5 or so games where an asashio futured it had no obvious influence on the game,

1 hit me with 2 torps on the bow but that was it and didn't do much damage to my Rep either

but the hilarious 1 was when I played my Mino and the Ash tried to torp me, I just had to gasp in amazement

I popped him the question in chat but no response

Edited by Darthvader_9
  • Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,104 posts

Damage is nice, but doesn't mean much if you don't sink the ship, and if you don't win the match. I once did 96K in torp damage to a Great Freddie with a Maas, and the thing was still alive at the end of the match. Those lovely german torps that always seem to underperform (thanks comrade RNGeezus), damage control, and repair parties combined to give me a lot of damage, for no effect, and a loss because the rest of the team had apparently converted to Jainism and refused to harm another living creature.

• Funny 2

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,829 battles

I remember this thread when it was a week old...

And when the Giulio was released.

And the one the week after the prinz eugen buff was a week old (staying at bottom)

Premiums dont compare well to tech tree ships to begin with. They certainly dont immediately after release, because the testers are fully familiar with it and cleaning up, and the super unicums grab it right away and adapt quickly. The general users that are against it havent adapted yet.

It is just a dd. Its not the second coming. Heck, its not even full of russian bias. Come back to this in one year and it will fit right in.

Edited by c3shooter

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles

I would hardly say the Asashio is broken and here is why,

It goes forwards and backwards when I push the right keys

It goes left and right when I press the right keys

The consumables work, again, with the right keys used

It can fire its guns and torpedoes, when, and I say again, with the right keys pushed.

So what is broken?

Everything on the ship seems to work, just the WG intended it to work.

• Funny 4
  • Bad 2