You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sventex

The Terror, Franklin's Lost Expedition

14 comments in this topic

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles

Just a heads up to the people who loved the movie Master and Commander, we've got a new horror tv show about life on the Tall Ships from the doomed Franklin's Expedition to find the Northwest Passage.  So anyone who is interested in the old age of sail and the age of heroes, this could be an interesting show for you to watch, albeit it has some hard horror twists to it.

the-terror.jpeg

Also for reference, this would be the same HMS Terror on the expedition that was present in the Battle of the Star-Spangled Banner.

26-terror-101.w710.h473.jpg

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[POP]
Members
1,162 posts
15,022 battles

Sounds like it could be good as for that other movie you mentioned it was great.

This ship is tier premium material

Image result for commander and master far side of the world

Gives us Russel Crowe as a unique captain and ill buy one :Smile_teethhappy: 

Edited by tm63au
  • Funny 1

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
1 hour ago, tm63au said:

Sounds like it could be good as for that other movie you mentioned it was great.

This ship is tier premium material

Image result for commander and master far side of the world

Gives us Russel Crowe as a unique captain and ill buy one :Smile_teethhappy: 

On HMS Erebus, we have Julius Caesar from HBO's Rome as captain, and Brutus as his second.

vNm2dGS.jpg

And on HMS Terror, we have the tugboat captain from Benjamin Button.

VUvm4EN.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
61 posts
741 battles

My wife and I watched the first season and it was great. Have not seen the new season episodes yet.

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles

I also learned something watching this show, these ships were powered by actual locomotive engines.  That's an interesting detail.

vysj7E9.jpg

Edited by Sventex
  • Bad 1

1,542 posts
26 battles
On 08/05/2018 at 6:35 AM, Sventex said:

Just a heads up to the people who loved the movie Master and Commander, we've got a new horror tv show about life on the Tall Ships from the doomed Franklin's Expedition to find the Northwest Passage.  So anyone who is interested in the old age of sail and the age of heroes, this could be an interesting show for you to watch, albeit it has some hard horror twists to it.

the-terror.jpeg

Also for reference, this would be the same HMS Terror on the expedition that was present in the Battle of the Star-Spangled Banner.

Sounds really interesting. The fiance and I will certainly check it out :)

Members
18 posts
1,822 battles

I know this is an old thread but the book that the TV show is based on is fantastic as well, worth reading if you are into historically based stuff with a crazy dash of weirdness thrown in!

Members
16,046 posts
14,423 battles

I checked the show out not too long ago.

Spoiler

Overall I liked it, but I was kind of disappointed that the monster was a mystical bear.  Prior to that revelation I really did like the series when it was still unclear what the danger was and the crew grappling with their problems.  The early part with the diver seeing the body underneath the ice.  The eeriness with being in the bowels of the ship where they were storing their dead.  The unknown in the ice.  I really loved that part of the season.  I didn't read the book so up until we saw the bear, I was really liking it.  Really did like the setting as it's not a typical subject covered these days.

I found out that a 2nd season is going to hit in 2019.  AMC has a news spot about it, including the setting which is completely different from Season 1.

"The next iteration, co-created and executive-produced by Alexander Woo (True Blood) and Max Borenstein (Kong: Skull Island, Godzilla), will be set during World War II and center on an uncanny specter that menaces a Japanese-American community from its home in Southern California to the internment camps to the war in the Pacific. The second season will also once again be executive-produced by legendary filmmaker Ridley Scott."

This is different because I'm used to a series sticking with a core set of characters throughout, so AMC looks like it can have some creative freedom here.

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I checked the show out not too long ago.

Hide contents

Overall I liked it, but I was kind of disappointed that the monster was a mystical bear.  Prior to that revelation I really did like the series when it was still unclear what the danger was and the crew grappling with their problems.  The early part with the diver seeing the body underneath the ice.  The eeriness with being in the bowels of the ship where they were storing their dead.  The unknown in the ice.  I really loved that part of the season.  I didn't read the book so up until we saw the bear, I was really liking it.  Really did like the setting as it's not a typical subject covered these days.

I found out that a 2nd season is going to hit in 2019.  AMC has a news spot about it, including the setting which is completely different from Season 1.

"The next iteration, co-created and executive-produced by Alexander Woo (True Blood) and Max Borenstein (Kong: Skull Island, Godzilla), will be set during World War II and center on an uncanny specter that menaces a Japanese-American community from its home in Southern California to the internment camps to the war in the Pacific. The second season will also once again be executive-produced by legendary filmmaker Ridley Scott."

This is different because I'm used to a series sticking with a core set of characters throughout, so AMC looks like it can have some creative freedom here.

Oh the best part about the show was that it was about a doomed expedition, so in many ways it was fresher then Game of Thrones because they didn't need to hold back.  I do wish they would keep the show nautical.  So many warships, explorers and expeditions disappear without a trace.  Whatever happened to Surcouf?  She was lost to the Bermuda Triangle and historians can only speculate.  No one even so much as makes a documentary on it.

Surcouf_FRA.jpg

Members
39 posts
147 battles
On 5/8/2018 at 1:35 AM, Sventex said:

the-terror.jpeg

I believe they also found both wrecks of Erebus and Terror, and Terror is actually very well preseved and shows signs the crew may have been able to free her from the ice and sail her into Terror Bay

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
8 hours ago, snakes3425 said:

I believe they also found both wrecks of Erebus and Terror, and Terror is actually very well preseved and shows signs the crew may have been able to free her from the ice and sail her into Terror Bay

Yes, one of the changes from the book to the show took that very fact in account by adding a scene where the Captain orders to crew that remained to sail to their final location in the event they are finally freed from the ice.

Members
39 posts
147 battles
On 8/11/2018 at 3:53 AM, Sventex said:

Oh the best part about the show was that it was about a doomed expedition, so in many ways it was fresher then Game of Thrones because they didn't need to hold back.  I do wish they would keep the show nautical.  So many warships, explorers and expeditions disappear without a trace.  Whatever happened to Surcouf?  She was lost to the Bermuda Triangle and historians can only speculate.  No one even so much as makes a documentary on it.

Surcouf_FRA.jpg

It's widely believed Surcouf was lost after colliding with a freighter or to friendly fire 

Members
39 posts
147 battles
On 10/31/2018 at 11:37 AM, Sventex said:

Yes, one of the changes from the book to the show took that very fact in account by adding a scene where the Captain orders to crew that remained to sail to their final location in the event they are finally freed from the ice.

Still in the end what the men on the Franklin Expedition went through was nothing short of hell. The series really captured what likely happened to those 130 men in their last days, h+ cow they slowly turned on each other as their minds deteriorated further into madness. In terms of the show I would've preferred the monster being kept hidden, the play with the audience about whether or not there is a monster or if it's all in the minds of the crews

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
1 hour ago, snakes3425 said:

Still in the end what the men on the Franklin Expedition went through was nothing short of hell. The series really captured what likely happened to those 130 men in their last days, h+ cow they slowly turned on each other as their minds deteriorated further into madness. In terms of the show I would've preferred the monster being kept hidden, the play with the audience about whether or not there is a monster or if it's all in the minds of the crews

Well, one of the limitations of storytelling about the Expedition is that lead poisoning or scurvy doesn't cause madness.  Paranoia isn't one of the symptoms either.  It would only be at the end, near total starvation that such a story of paranoia could be told in a nonfiction way, which means they would have been a lot of episodes of the crew just sitting around for months.  It could still be done though, I've watched many documentaries about the Franklin Expedition and I have always found them fascinating.  And at the very least, it was interesting to see a piece of Inuit mythology, which is hardly ever shown in media.  Still, I confess the monster was the least interesting part of the show.

I'll give the show credit for making the lead poisoning so paranoid inducing since it was in the food and the doctors were mostly ignorant about lead poisoning.  In reality, the lead solder in the canned food they were eating wasn't actually causing most of their lead poisoning.  It was their lead drinking water tanks.  The crew never did figure out what was really crippling them.

Edited by Sventex