You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

A Theoretical Scenario: What Would Happen If All Captain Skills Were Unlocked Immediately?

15 comments in this topic

[STW-M]
Members
2,044 posts
5,861 battles

Looking over the captain skills, I thought of something that might prove an interesting scenario.

What would happen if captain skills weren't limited by tier? In other words, what if you could jump straight to the level 4 skills like Concealment Expert and Fire Prevention with your first four points without having to go through the skills below, like preventative maintenance and expert marksman?

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,023 posts
3,520 battles

Last Stand - 2 points
Concealment Expert - 4 Points
IFHE - 4 points
Expert Marksman - 2 points
Survivability Expert - 3 points
Basic Firing Training - 3 points
Preventative Maintenance or Priority Target - 1 point

That is the order in which I personally would grab skills for Akizuki.

• Cool 1

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,828 battles

Interesting. While this would certainly change the order, i think that most ships benefit from the first 3 tiers. I would (in most ships) end up with the same build, but CE and/or FP would probably come first in alot of them. Especially in low tiers.

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,893 battles

It would depend on the ship type.  I play dds primarily so I will answer for that line

1) Last Stand (2): all dds have paper armor so it doesn't help if your stealthy if once your spotted, one salvo knocks you out of the fight.  LS is a MUST for all dd captains

2) Concealment Expert (4):  Spotting ships before they spot you is key to setting up your map strategy.  Stealth is life for a destroyer

Once you get to 6 points - now there are different paths for gunboat dds and torp throwers.

Thanks for the intellectual exercise.  As always, for all captains in all ships, the magic number of Captains skills is 10.  Once your there, you're on your way to better outcomes.

Members
4,545 posts
6,437 battles

Just make it even...maybe no advantage.  Hell I dunno. LOL

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,887 battles

We would see more CV with SE?

• Funny 1

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,486 posts
3,435 battles

RPF with the first 4 points, just because I feel contrary. And it'd be hilarious to have others raging that they're already located, esp. in the low tiers.

If I'm actually wanting to be serious with a particular captain and ship, I'll pick out more appropriate skills for them, depending on the tier. Some ships can get by at lower tiers without a few skills that ships in the higher tiers need, so I can sort of "skill build in reverse".

Members
2,496 posts
5,479 battles

Better would be if THERE were no Captains skills and you had to play each ship "AS IS" with no camo, Signals or anything that would make your ship different than an opponent with same ship. 

THATS a fair fight. 

• Boring 2

[BOTES]
Members
1,919 posts
6,658 battles

I assume you mean that you would not be required to take a 1 point skill to unlock 2 point skills, 2 for 3, etc as opposed to taking them out of order.

It really wouldn't make a difference because AR and LS are basically mandatory for BB/CA and DD respectively. At that point, you're talking about refunding 1 point from PM/PT, which doesn't help you much except for hybrid builds. For instance, if you could skip a 1 pointer on BB, you could have a partial survivability build (super, CE, FP), give up BoS, and then take AFT or one of the manual fire control skills.

The fundamental problem with the current system is that it only solved one problem; CE requiring 15 points. The old system made seal clubbing easier and mid tier gameplay a nightmare (and downright unplayable for DD) when uptiered unless you grinded at lower tiers for a long time.

Currently, there are too many cookie cutter builds and no room for variety. It is almost suicidal to take a secondary spec and highly questionable to do AA. Most skills are outright pointless and never taken. Sometimes they're legitimately useless, like Incoming Fire Alert, but others are too expensive to justify, like everything secondary/AA related, JoaT, HA, DE, BFT, etc.

Ex. Akizuki's AA spec frustrates me. Your cookie cutter DD build is PM/PT (I prefer PM), LS, SE and CE. Akizuki AP is useful, but it is too situational. You have to take IFHE. Now you have 5 points left. If you take MFCAA, you take the other 1 pointer and you're done. AFT is pointless on its own and you can't take super, BFT, DE, or AR if you take it. Most people would take super and AR with their last 5. Since I have Yamamoto, I take a risk by skipping super and using BFT and AR. However, if I want an AA build, I can really only afford a gimped AA build...on a purpose built AA destroyer.

I feel like the new system has a lot of variety, but the current point allocation doesn't allow for it.

Edited by awildseaking

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,023 posts
3,520 battles
3 hours ago, AMajor said:

As always, for all captains in all ships, the magic number of Captains skills is 10.

Akizuki being the only exception for competitive play.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,023 posts
3,520 battles

On another note, If I were to build Akizuki for AA specifically under this scenario

0  1-point skills
2 2-point Skills (AR, and LS)
1 3-point skill (BBFT)
3 4-point skills (MFCAA, AFT, CE)

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles

I grind all my captains to 19 using a bunch of free captain experience and tons of flags right away..... so wouldn’t make much difference to me honestly.