You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
gatorken

Which capt. skill first?

18 comments in this topic

[SYJ]
Members
37 posts
5,638 battles

Should you put AFT on a captain before Manual Secondary's or visa versa?  This is for the German BB line. I just got the Gneisenau.  Battleship's with torps what fun.

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Members
570 posts
3,350 battles

I'm probably not the best source for this, but on my bismarck I took AFT before Manual Secondaries.
The way I see it, manual secondaries are optional, AFT is not.

Members
475 posts
5,713 battles
4 minutes ago, JackBinary said:

I'm probably not the best source for this, but on my bismarck I took AFT before Manual Secondaries.
The way I see it, manual secondaries are optional, AFT is not.

And from my experience it is the opposite. The difference is with AFT you are killing the water , with manual secondaries you are killing the dds, etc...

But this is only good when you reach the Bismarck. With the Gneisenau is a different story.

Edited by _no_one_
  • Cool 1

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Members
570 posts
3,350 battles
Just now, _no_one_ said:

And from my experience it is the opposite. The difference is with AFT you are killing the water , with manual secondaries you are killing the dds, etc...

Fair enough, like I said, I'm probably not the best source, I barely play Battleships, and basically exclusively German ones.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,624 posts
9,027 battles

AFT because IMHO you benefit more from the extended range without manual than you will from the manual skill without the extended range. YMMV

[ARGSY]
Members
6,294 posts
4,256 battles

AFT because IMO if you are busy dodging torpedoes, angling against gunfire, assigning aircraft targets and watching the minimap, you may forget to target your secondaries. Better to have them go off at extended range on their own (and maybe even start a fire or two) than not be assigned because you were busy dealing with other problems.

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,832 battles

There are some really knowledgeable players who question secondary builds at all.

I would say think back over your games and ask if either one would help more in the past. Even so far as to say hold the skill points for a few more and really pay attention to which would affect game play the most. The points dont expire, but are costly to respec.

Members
18,235 posts
5,205 battles
24 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

But this is only good when you reach the Bismarck. With the Gneisenau is a different story.

I agree. I run Bismarck with MFCS, but not AFT. 9.4km (with secondary upgrade) works just fine. I used to have both on my original captain, and I don't really miss the extra 2km range.

BUT, if you are just hitting Gneisenau, take AFT first. You need it to get that 8km range, and you also have awesome AA for the tier, might as well make your no-fly zone bigger.

Ideally, as soon as you get to Bismarck, you'd respec and swap AFT for MFCS. But by the time you get there, you should be close enough to 14 pts. that you won't have to do without MFCS for long.

(as an aside, Gneisenau with AFT and MFCS is a force of nature in Operations)

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,624 posts
9,027 battles
40 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

4 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I agree. I run Bismarck with MFCS, but not AFT. 9.4km (with secondary upgrade) works just fine. I used to have both on my original captain, and I don't really miss the extra 2km range.

BUT, if you are just hitting Gneisenau, take AFT first. You need it to get that 8km range, and you also have awesome AA for the tier, might as well make your no-fly zone bigger.

Ideally, as soon as you get to Bismarck, you'd respec and swap AFT for MFCS. But by the time you get there, you should be close enough to 14 pts. that you won't have to do without MFCS for long.

(as an aside, Gneisenau with AFT and MFCS is a force of nature in Operations)

Few DD's or cruisers for that matter are going to hang around when secondaries are firing on them manual or not.

[SYJ]
Members
37 posts
5,638 battles

I am at 12 points went with manual first when I have Bayern.  I wanted to see what it was like.  I'll probably spend the doubloons to re-spec it.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,210 posts
12,740 battles

AFT also helps AA.

Members
18,235 posts
5,205 battles
24 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Few DD's or cruisers for that matter are going to hang around when secondaries are firing on them manual or not.

They don't always have a choice, depending on what they were doing when they got spotted. Nothing like a DD trying for a 7-8km stealth drop getting lit up by a friendly DD. Also, a DD in a knife fight often doesn't notice, or believes that running from the BB just puts him right where the friendly DD wants him.

You get a ship moving with an island behind him. If you come out from behind another island and get spotted at 8km, he's got nowhere to go. (although in that case, the quickest way to escape means you get a broadside shot with the mains) And most cruisers have a hard time getting away from an oncoming 30+ knt BB that isn't dodging.

I know where you're coming from, and I would expect that from a player who was observant, paying attention, and aware of how much trouble they could be in. But you know as well as I do that there's no shortage of opponents who aren't those things.:Smile_smile:

• Cool 1

Members
18,235 posts
5,205 battles
8 minutes ago, Lert said:

AFT also helps AA.

Yup, and while I don't feel it makes a huge difference to Bis, it definitely does with Gneis. Last time we had the free respecs, I put MFAA on her with AFT. Didn't see many CVs, (of course) but when I did, it was awesome lol.

[WOLFA]
Members
551 posts
3,198 battles

I went AFT and no manual secondaries. With my play style I would rather have them go off automatically this way I will get somewhat of a notification that a DD or other ship is close by.

Once you get to the Bismarck the secondaries go out to 11.3k range.

[SCREW]
Members
118 posts
6,750 battles

I would. Manual secondaries only decreases the dispersion of your small caliber guns, you'll probably want the increased range/damage (don't remember which one AFT does and don't feel like looking it up) first, that way you can at least hit stuff harder or further away. It will also increase your AA rating.

Members
1,564 posts
9,984 battles

AFT first for sure. This way your secondaries are actually useful and will help do some damage. Manual fire control just makes it that much more potent.