You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

How Does One Angle In A High Tier USN BB?

11 comments in this topic

[STW-M]
Members
2,042 posts
5,854 battles

While tier 5-7 USN BBs were slow and could be overmatched by a wide variety of opponents, one thing that they all benefitted from was a tremendous amount of side armor and torpedo protection (New Mexico has 42% lol). While sometimes AP shells could randomly penetrate, most of the time proper angling meant that they would harmlessly bounce off the side or bow armor.

Now with North Carolina and above, that is no longer the case, so it would seem. Attempting a typical 25-30º angling that I used to do with Colorado or New Mexico only results in regularly receiving 3k-8k penetrations somewhere (along with the occasional what-the-heck-just-happened citadel). Pretty much the only thing that works consistently is bow-on, which isn't very conducive to a healthy BB playstyle, IMO.

Now, I've managed to sail through (heh, sail) NC with a 63% wr, but part of the reason I got away with certain mistakes was due to its rather good maneuverability and stealth.

Having finally ground out all the xp needed for Iowa, I'd like a final work on the USN fast battleships: is bow-on now the only angling that works, or is there a different path?

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,124 posts
5,962 battles

If you try angle against Yamato or Musashi, good luck. They will at anytime over match you ^^ You can be bow on against them, they can still citadel you from the front ;)

[SPTR]
Members
20,099 posts
5,353 battles
13 minutes ago, StableGenius said:

If you try angle against Yamato or Musashi, good luck. They will at anytime over match you ^^ You can be bow on against them, they can still citadel you from the front ;)

Actually, this isn't completely correct from my experience. Angling, not enough to bring your third gun but hiding your bow armor, may work on the 18.1 inch shells by bouncing them. 

For those tiers, concealment is your armor. You have a very low concealment rating for a Battleship, while not as good as the RNBB you have the AP shells that they do not have. Use that to your advantage along with your newfound speed, and when in trouble Bowtank and/or run away. 

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,124 posts
5,962 battles
1 minute ago, khaenn35 said:

Actually, this isn't completely correct from my experience. Angling, not enough to bring your third gun but hiding your bow armor, may work on the 18.1 inch shells by bouncing them. 

For those tiers, concealment is your armor. You have a very low concealment rating for a Battleship, while not as good as the RNBB you have the AP shells that they do not have. Use that to your advantage along with your newfound speed, and when in trouble Bowtank and/or run away. 

They have great concealment, true. But from my experience, and I play my Yamato a lot, I citadel quiet a lot BB's from the front. Yamato vs Yamato will result in over match each others bow armor..

[SF-E]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,166 posts
13,758 battles

You still want to angle... however, note that LoLoRaDo is the last USN BB that has 'superior' armor angling to other BB's. At 8 and up, you gotta angle, but not too much, or else it's almost as if you're derpside still.

TBH, I don't know for sure what angles are the absolute best. Some nerdz some where have that info, and I'm sure if you join the /r/wows Discord, someone might be willing to tell you that. I think Wargaming ought to give the "best angling" info to us in the port, so we can study it and improve our play in matches... but I digress, it's up to us to figure it out.

[SPTR]
Members
20,099 posts
5,353 battles
1 hour ago, StableGenius said:

They have great concealment, true. But from my experience, and I play my Yamato a lot, I citadel quiet a lot BB's from the front. Yamato vs Yamato will result in over match each others bow armor..

From the front, yes, but slight angling, as someone from the recieving end, has saved me sometimes from those who don't know where to shoot and with pure RNG. 

[HAG]
Beta Testers
318 posts
4,074 battles

The Iowa and Montana are great tanks when angled just a bit I have both my Misery and Monty set up as brawlers from the pre-german days and they are still great. Stay with NC a little longer and maybe play some co-op or training rooms but it will come to you.

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
302 posts
5,131 battles

A straight up nose in North Carolina is a very dangerous ship vs everything except the yammies

[-VT3-]
Members
1,625 posts
3,364 battles

Once you get to the high tiers, the play style shifts from "angled" to "bow-on" against anything that isn't a Yamato.  Basically, by angling, you're causing the "cheeks" of your bow to flatten out, and offering the enemy a perfect target to shoot at.  In such cases, you want to become as pointy as possible, to get the most use out of your bow plate.  

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
2,999 battles

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong. Against Yamato and Musashi, you want to angle enough to just barley show the side of the ship. You know they will overmatch the bow so personally with the Iowa I will time the reloads and show a bit more side than you should. Bait them into found for your side. When they fire, straighten up some. You will take damage but usually if they are greedy and go for cit’s They bounce off belt armor. Just my experience. And assuming shells have at least a 5s travel time.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,186 posts
12,684 battles

If you're facing guns that can't overmatch your bow plating, angle in as sharply as possible, less than 30 degrees. At this rate they'll only be able to pen your superstructure, though you'll only be able to use your front turrets and be limited in where you can go.

If you're facing guns that can overmatch your bow plating, angle in more shallow, between 40 and 50 degrees. This might seem counterproductive as you're presenting a bigger target, but those guns will lolpen your bow anyways, and this way you're presenting more heavy armor as well. Less accurate ships / players will derp shots into your heavily angled side rather than your bow. You'll live longer than by just presenting your bow, plus you'll have more firepower available yourself.

• Cool 1