Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
J30_Reinhardt

Kinda had this coming..

5 comments in this topic

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,651 posts
3,924 battles

So there I was playing Battletech on Thursday shortly after a line of thunderstorms passed overhead, thinking I was in the clear.

Nope. Soooooo much nope.

God decided it would be funny to have the transformer and a lightning bolt meet. This being half an hour after it stopped raining.

A loud pop like a .22 LR round going off and the undeniable smell of a fried powersupply emanated from my rig. That was about 3 feet from me.

The list of stuff that got nuked:

Power supply, motherboard, R9 390 video card, RAM sticks. Still unknown on the liquid cooling system. Both hard drives including the SSD are fine, but I'm gonna back them up and throw em out.

Router fried, to the point the data cable was fubar and the front-shell of the router was found on the floor.

Plasma tv in guest room toast.

Washing machine gets stuck on infinite spin cycle. Dryer also has to be manually shut off.

My old Dell/office PC that was also hooked up to a UPC is no longer with us. Two power strips also need to be replaced.

Thankfully the stove, both ovens, 2 refrigerators in the house are okay as well as the one down in the hangar next to the airplanes are all fine.

All together it's well over $2k to replace but still below the deductible for insurance, and that'd be *if* they covered it at all.

Replacement components(upgrades really), won't be ordered until Monday morning so I'm likely going to feel Amish still for another week.

Blah. Someone summon Felix Jr already.

[SIDE]
Members
1,247 posts
8,868 battles

Ouch, that really sucks. Still, it could be worse. A lightning bolt hit my parents house about five years ago, and burnt out the entire top floor. Luckily, no loss of life(that includes pets of course).

So yeah, while that really blows, it could of been a real catastrophe.

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,651 posts
3,924 battles

@WolfofWarship, nah I'm okay. Thanks for asking.

Short update/sorta good news. The gray water filter/sprinkler system didn't go undamaged($1k), and the washing machine will be $300 to fix so that now pushes this completely into the realm of insurance claims. (Yay?)

Replacement parts are on the way for the new PC build. Upgraded parts cheaper than replacing my old stuff, though I did splurge to get a giant video card that I hope fits. Should all be here Wednesday, so hopefully by Friday it gets built.

I will be without a tv in the guest room for quite some time until the claim goes through.

All I can say is thank god none of my power-tools, the table saw, wood router, band-saw, sanders, drill press, or various metalworking tools in the hangar got nuked. That would have set me back timewise and thus financially being that I am building/restoring 3 aircraft at the moment.

I need a drink lol

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,230 posts
8,863 battles
On 5/6/2018 at 11:33 PM, J30_Reinhardt said:

God decided it would be funny to have the transformer and a lightning bolt meet. This being half an hour after it stopped raining.

I hear you. The only way I'd even begin break even on insurance payments minus deductibles is if my roof got blown off by a tornado and it landed on my pickup. It's just about impossible to isolate electronics from a nearby lightning strike. Even if the surge doesn't go through the household wiring, the EMP from a close strike can still damage a computer. I had lighteing strike in the back yard last summer and it took out my sound card. Fortunately, Xonar DGs are only $20. Several years ago, when we still had an above-ground power line coming into the house, a direct strike on the transformer took out two TVs, two VCRs and a computer. Surge protectors are made to deal with power company surges of a few amps and can't do much versus the massive electrical current produced in a lightning strike.

An average bolt of negative lightning carries an electric current of 30,000 amperes

Edited by Snargfargle

Sign in to follow this