You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jester_of_War

Premium ship "Must Buy"?

64 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
450 posts
3,836 battles

Are there any premium ships available right now that are a 'must buy'?

I'm new to the game and I keep hearing about how great the Gremyaschy or the Missouri or the Belfast is. But none of them, or a bunch of other great Premiums, are available to a noob like me.

So are there any Premiums that are currently available that I just have to pick up? Any Premiums that are so OP that we'd be foolish to not grab them while we can?

And just as importantly: will we get ample warning when the current crop of available Premiums get taken off sale?

Note: If this thread already exists, please slap the link right here and we'll all head over there.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,578 battles

Dunno if it's available in any channel right this moment, but the Caesar perhaps?

Also, Scharnhorst. 

Members
1,866 posts

None of them are OP if they don't suit your playstyle. Lots of people have cursed Missouri and done poorly in it. Others have done well in ships rated "garbage". I won't name, what ships, but if you go to this link, it ranks the ships by win percentage and other stats. Keep in mind that part of this result depends on who plays the ships. Exclusive ships always do well, and some very popular premiums have results that are depressed by so many new players picking them up.

https://na.wows-numbers.com/ships/

Members
4,545 posts
6,437 battles

Graf Spee.  Very high win ship but tricky to learn to play.

Members
1,296 posts
21,038 battles

Kutusov.  DOH!  I sure made a mistake not buying that.

I've heard the GC.

Glad I got the Missouri and Musashi (for free - not counting time spent).

Members
3,562 posts
6,867 battles
39 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

None of them are OP if they don't suit your playstyle. Lots of people have cursed Missouri and done poorly in it.

Which rather begs the question doesn't it? I'm rather tired of this fixation on what is OP and what is not. Why a particular player meshes with one ship or not is occult (i.e. hidden from view).

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,828 battles

At the moment, i believe the october revolution is on sale, it was last rumored to be never sold again, and can be considered OP. Guilio is the other, but i think its on cooldown for a couple months.

I advise caution buying a higher tier than you are playing successfully.

Of course if you dont care about your karma, buy an asashio, and make a big spectacle of yourself in chat at the beginning of a match. I like the salt it brings.

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,828 battles

Usually there is little to no notice regarding the ships coming or going from the premium shop.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,191 battles

Mikasa; if you can do damage with her main batteries, you can shoot and kill ANYTHING!

• Funny 2

Members
1,866 posts
22 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Which rather begs the question doesn't it? I'm rather tired of this fixation on what is OP and what is not. Why a particular player meshes with one ship or not is occult (i.e. hidden from view).

I know very well why I like some ships and not others. I can play more than one way, depending on the ship, but some do not do what I want. The win rate is a reasonably fair measure, but there's more to the story. Before you shell out 50 bucks, read the details of strengths and weaknesses. Some tech tree ships are just as good as their premium cousins.

[FML]
Members
1,751 posts
10,116 battles
1 hour ago, Jester_of_War said:

I'm new to the game and I keep hearing about how great the Gremyaschy or the Missouri or the Belfast is. But none of them, or a bunch of other great Premiums, are available to a noob like me.

So are there any Premiums that are currently available that I just have to pick up? Any Premiums that are so OP that we'd be foolish to not grab them while we can?

And just as importantly: will we get ample warning when the current crop of available Premiums get taken off sale?

Note: If this thread already exists, please slap the link right here and we'll all head over there.

Premium ships that are new player friendly include the Guilio Cesare and the Scharnhorst. I don’t think they are currently on sale right now, but they will be back soonish and are must buys (if you want to have fun). 

Members
453 posts
7,884 battles

Scharnorst or Tirpitz is probably the way to go to start off. Those German secondaries were really a good time. I think these will be around for a while.

[RKLES]
Beta Testers
471 posts
6,495 battles

Probably the only premium I have that is a must buy is Missouri.  Unfortunately...

Out of what is in the shop right now...

De Grasse would be my fist choice.  It is an excellent tier 6 cruiser.  With IFHE and Pyro, it is an absolute menance.  So it does require an experienced captain to really be effetive.

Tirpitz is another good choice.  It is an close-in brawler.  Some think it is long in the tooth.  It is IMO, the most forgiving tier 8 premium in the game.

• Cool 1

Members
17 posts
1,075 battles

I wouldn't buy anything tier 5 and up if you're new, unless you surpassed tier 5. But do keep in mind if you're buying a premium ship at a high tier, it's a huge learning curve, especially in the skilled nature of high tier players. I sort have made that mistake when I bought the Alabama, but I eventually got used to the ship, and the players around me, and how to play better. My suggestion is try to see what tech tree and class of ship you like, excel at least up to tier 8, and then see about getting a ship, however if you're anxious enough to get a ship before it goes away, then buy one, then get a feel for the game with your current ships, and then play the ship you like and see how it goes. It's really all about experience.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Beta Testers
471 posts
6,495 battles
16 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Premium ships that are new player friendly include the Guilio Cesare and the Scharnhorst. I don’t think they are currently on sale right now, but they will be back soonish and are must buys (if you want to have fun). 

Absolutely...

Guilio Cesare is probably the best newb friendly premium ship in the game.  Quite possibly the best premium tier for tier available... unfortunately, just not right now.

Members
61 posts
741 battles
51 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Mikasa; if you can do damage with her main batteries, you can shoot and kill ANYTHING!

I've seen the Mikasa kill other tier 2 ships with one shell from the main guns. It's funny as heck as the one that's sunk often starts yelling, Hacks! 

[SALVO]
Members
17,043 posts
17,674 battles
58 minutes ago, c3shooter said:

At the moment, i believe the october revolution is on sale, it was last rumored to be never sold again, and can be considered OP. Guilio is the other, but i think its on cooldown for a couple months.

I advise caution buying a higher tier than you are playing successfully.

Of course if you dont care about your karma, buy an asashio, and make a big spectacle of yourself in chat at the beginning of a match. I like the salt it brings.

I don't see why the OktRev would be considered OP.  It seems like a rather normal tier 5 BB, though perhaps maybe a little more accurate than normal for tier 5.  I don't remember, since I haven't played mine in a while.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
1,751 posts
10,116 battles
48 minutes ago, Capt_Binkley said:

Probably the only premium I have that is a must buy is Missouri.  Unfortunately...

Out of what is in the shop right now...

De Grasse would be my fist choice.  It is an excellent tier 6 cruiser.  With IFHE and Pyro, it is an absolute menance.  So it does require an experienced captain to really be effetive.

Tirpitz is another good choice.  It is an close-in brawler.  Some think it is long in the tooth.  It is IMO, the most forgiving tier 8 premium in the game.

I support this too.

personally, if you could only pick one between Scharnhorst and Tirpitz, I’d pick Scharnhorst as it is more fun and materially cheaper whilst still being a solid credit earner and good captain retrainer. But the Tirpitz is useful for all those objectives that require XP using Tier 8 ships and above, and given it has torps it is still fun to play by offering a different play style to other T8 BBs. 

[-B-Z-]
Alpha Tester
715 posts
2,667 battles
2 hours ago, Jester_of_War said:

I'm a collector of premium ships, and the more OP ones are either no longer for sale (i.e. Nikoai, Gremyasachy) or are not on sale right now. The Oct. Rev. is similar to the Nikolai but it is at tier 5 whereas the Nikolai is at a preferred tier 4. Probably the best source for info on premium ships is littlewhitemouse. She does a solid, in depth review of every new premium ship. Her or her site is http://shipcomrade.com/. Do your research there as well as the youtube contributors and you won't go wrong.  

Members
1,860 posts
8,789 battles
2 hours ago, Jester_of_War said:

You can get the Texas plus the special camo for $10 right now.  That is a must buy imo.

• Cool 3

[PNP]
Members
393 posts
2,941 battles

Currently, at the store, I would say De Grasse. However, I recommend that you should wait when WG rotates in other premium ships that are much more enjoyable to play, such as Scharnhorst or possibly Guilo Cesare. I would also say that the Blyskawica is a close contender of an enjoyable DD.

Edited by RighteousRhyno

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,828 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

I don't see why the OktRev would be considered OP.  It seems like a rather normal tier 5 BB, though perhaps maybe a little more accurat

I have no opinion on the OP nature of it. I dont own it, i have thought of buying it, but i was relaying what others have said about it. My only personal experience is that it can be hard to get solid hits on,  but that doesn't make a ship OP. Although i remember seeing something about it not getting released again, so it did catch my eye the other day.

Many feel that the Giulio is OP...I personally haven't figured her out, i have a 41% in her, and ok damage numbers but nothing special. Again there i was referencing others.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Graf Spee for ten dollars is a steal, I'd grab that if I didn't already have one. Otherwise, Dunkerque is a great ship. A cruiser like DeGrasse or Molotov would also be a good choice.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,536 posts
25,006 battles

$5 for the Itchy Coochie is a great deal. No, she has no AA but she’s fast and has good guns. Good trainer for IJN BBs. 

Sims. If you ever want to go up the USN DD line, get the Sims. 

T7 Leningrad is a hoot. Who doesn’t want to go almost 50 knots?  The only downside is that you kind of need a 12-point captain.  He will fit T4-7 tech tree ships but not T8+. 

When Scharnhorst goes on sale again, buy it. 

Members
3,775 posts
14,010 battles
3 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

Kutusov.  DOH!  I sure made a mistake not buying that.

I've heard the GC.

Glad I got the Missouri and Musashi (for free - not counting time spent).

I have Kutuzov and Missouri but don't do very well with them. I know that they're excellent ships having been on the receiving end of them several times but I cant get the best out of them.

To me, that shows that a great ship is only as great as it's driver.