You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
hyuuu

How to fix Izumo?

54 comments in this topic

[NETSI]
Members
72 posts
7,772 battles

Just started the Izumo stock grind, so far only reached B hull and engine upgrade while doing not too badly so far.
The grind hasn't been as terrible as people claim, except the ship lets me down in many cases that I have to make up for by superior skill than my opponents whereas a ship like Missouri would have trivialized the scenario.

I hear some of the most polarizing opinions on this ship, with a large majority claiming the best option is to free XP past it because it is that bad.
The introduction of Musashi in the same tier recently only reinforced how outclassed Izumo is among tier 9 BBs, especially against Musashi in almost every aspect such as gun caliber and turret layout.

I personally feel like Izumo has a lot of wasted potential in her unique design that feels lost in soft stats such as getting burned down easily, inconsistent dispersion, weak secondaries, getting spotted across the map, sluggish speed, and so forth. 

Given that WG seems to have no plans of replacing this ship with another tier 9 tech tree IJN BB, what are some realistic buffs Izumo could take in order to at least make it competitive among its tier?
What are Izumo's crippling flaws that could be fixed in order to make her more fun to play without changing hard design details such as turret layout?

Potential ideas?
- Improve dispersion to match Yamato's sniping accuracy
- Increase deck armor slightly to reduce direct HE pens
- Increase range or accuracy of secondaries and their fire starting chance
- Increase engine speed to 30 kts
- Increase AA effectiveness
- Reduce getting set on fire
- Reduce concealment range to 13 km~ (max camo/skills)
- Slightly faster rudder shift time
- Slightly faster turret rotation time

Edited by hyuuu
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[T-RIP]
[T-RIP]
Members
1,045 posts
8,082 battles

How to Fix Izumo, free XP past it. 

/end 

=) lol 

• Funny 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,254 posts
8,649 battles

Turn the C turret around.

EDIT: Also, buff the barbette on the B turret :Smile_sceptic:

Edited by pikohan
  • Cool 4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,724 posts
9,112 battles

How to fix the Izumo?

hqdefault.jpg

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles

It's always the same, various manifestations of predisposition bias or somesuch. 99% of those on the Izumo are just there to get to her older sister the Yamato. I actually enjoyed her and will buy her back when next on sale. But yes rear turret turn would be lovely.

Here is Flamu acing it in the Izumo:

• Bad 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,239 posts
9,038 battles

I found the RNG on her turrets to be very temperamental when I used Izumo, some days the AP would behave and pen, and other days I had to use HE out of pure desperation to get some damage in matches.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Truth: I bought and sold the Izumo four times because. She is a Gatekeeper. Think of her as a bouncer perhaps, there to keep you out of the Yamato club. Just when you figure you figured her out bammmm... a Montana/GK/Yamato sets you straight again by knocking you on your keister. Just do yourself a favor now - free XP by her. She won't teach you anything really pertinent to using the Yamato.

She'll just drive you. Nutz. 

[SYN]
Members
14,468 posts
10,488 battles
13 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Here is Flamu acing it in the Izumo:

meh, only 238k from a T9 BB?

please, there are many T7/8 ships, not including CVs, capable of more than that.

Fixes for Izumo:

• Fix the [edited] 32mm plating all over
  • Fix the fact that Izumo has mediocre levels of HP for a T9 BB, despite not having anything else going for it.
  • Fix the [edited] 356mm thick and extremely high sitting barbettes. Like, seriously, why the [edited] are the turret faces 508mm thick when the barbettes underneath are only 356mm? Who the [edited] designed such a retarded design?
  • Add more secondary turrets and AA. The number of them is completely inconsistent with other IJN BBs, where it was "cram everything you can onto it". Izumo looks desolate in comparison. Hell, WG even took off the 155mm wing turrets and replaced them... with nothing! WTH!?
  • Increase bulge size. Like how the [edited] did you go from 42% TDS on Amagi, down to less than 30% on Izumo? That crapdoesn't make any sense
  • Increase concealment or add more gunnery range. Seriously, 19.3km concealment and then having 21.7km range is [edited]embarrassing, especially compared to Iowa.
  • Turn the 3rd turret around. Like, seriously, why would I even want a turret pointing backward, when it can't even fire directly backward and you have to go seriously [edited]broadside to use it? If I'm going to suffer having to go broadside to shoot backward, I might as well have all the turrets point forwards and suffer going full broadside shooting over the shoulder.
  • Why the [edited] is Izumo's rudder upgrade locked into C-hull?
  • Why the [edited] does Izumo even need a B-hull?
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 3

[SPTR]
Members
3,479 posts
5,755 battles

How to fix?

Simple. Make her look better. Now that more people will actually bear with it and learn how to play her well instead of all skipping her before 50 games.

If we are being serious, a deck armor buff to 38mm would be logical and balanced, a logical trasition from the roaming but squishy Amagi to the tanky, relatively stationary Yamato

Lowering the ship in water and turning the C turret around can also be helpful, although the latter solution my have unintended consequences.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
14,468 posts
10,488 battles
2 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

How to fix?

Simple. Make her look better. Now that more people will actually bear with it and learn how to play her well instead of all skipping her before 50 games.

If we are being serious, a deck armor buff to 38mm would be logical and balanced, a logical trasition from the roaming but squishy Amagi to the tanky, relatively stationary Yamato

Lowering the ship in water and turning the C turret around can also be helpful, although the latter solution my have unintended consequences.

liAoiaQ.jpg

You mean like that? because only turning around the 3rd turret forwards will be exactly this.

Them 356mm barbettes croak and die so easily, it's hilarious.

• Funny 2

[SPTR]
Members
3,479 posts
5,755 battles
2 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

I'm seriously surprised to see an Izumo survived long enough at a close enough range for an enemy battleship to take out the turrets XD

I dunno, perhaps WG is forcing people to use Izumo at a long range?

Edited by The_first_harbinger

Members
2,434 posts
7,746 battles

WG wont "fix" the Izumo because every line has its bad ships, and Izumo is the IJN lemon. Yamato is already one of the most popular ships in the game, imagine if they make the grind easier. 

Still, into the "fix" idea:

- Give Izumo the same turret layout of Nelson, all three facing foward. 

- Improve the upper belt and deck armor. 

[SPTR]
Members
3,479 posts
5,755 battles
1 minute ago, Xlap said:

I dunno, I don't think there's any stinkers for the French and the German bbs, nor the Japanese CV, which is globally the more popular carrier line.

Members
1,155 posts
3,146 battles

Flip turret 3, buff accuracy, and make turrets tougher so they don't get knocked out as often. 

[SALVO]
Members
17,148 posts
17,812 battles
10 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

I dunno, I don't think there's any stinkers for the French and the German bbs, nor the Japanese CV, which is globally the more popular carrier line.

The FDG at tier 9 is considered rather weak, but I'm not sure that it's as weak as the Izumo.  The thing is that the FDG is weak in a different way.  Her guns seem overly weak and inaccurate even by German BB standards though her armor is still German strong, whereas the Izumo's issues include that bad 3rd turret facing, dreadful concealment, and weak-ish armor.  Fully upgraded, the Izzy's guns seem fairly good, though the 3rd turret will never be anything but a pain so long as it faces to the rear.

[-BRS-]
Members
890 posts
7,637 battles
3 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

liAoiaQ.jpg

You mean like that? because only turning around the 3rd turret forwards will be exactly this.

Them 356mm barbettes croak and die so easily, it's hilarious.

wow... is that a recent picture? I remember before they buffed turret HP, had no turrets on my warspite.... sad days...

Members
567 posts
75 battles

Put a volleyball court on the rear deck where a turret is supposed to be, or maybe a couple pool tables and a wet bar. Will at least make it more enjoyable to play. 

[SYN]
Members
14,468 posts
10,488 battles
1 hour ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

wow... is that a recent picture? I remember before they buffed turret HP, had no turrets on my warspite.... sad days...

no, it isn't even originally my picture, but the Izumo still loses turrets quite frequently. Especially #2

and even after turret HP buffs, this kind of RNG still happens

[-BMV-]
Members
205 posts
13,642 battles

Izumo, if i remember correctly is one of the preliminary J-series designs right?

First, i have always been conflicted as to why WG chose this design over any other of the Proto-Yamato designs.

5 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

Fixes for Izumo:

• Fix the [edited] 32mm plating all over
  • Fix the fact that Izumo has mediocre levels of HP for a T9 BB, despite not having anything else going for it.
  • Fix the [edited] 356mm thick and extremely high sitting barbettes. Like, seriously, why the [edited] are the turret faces 508mm thick when the barbettes underneath are only 356mm? Who the [edited] designed such a retarded design?
  • Add more secondary turrets and AA. The number of them is completely inconsistent with other IJN BBs, where it was "cram everything you can onto it". Izumo looks desolate in comparison. Hell, WG even took off the 155mm wing turrets and replaced them... with nothing! WTH!?
  • Increase bulge size. Like how the [edited] did you go from 42% TDS on Amagi, down to less than 30% on Izumo? That crapdoesn't make any sense
  • Increase concealment or add more gunnery range. Seriously, 19.3km concealment and then having 21.7km range is [edited]embarrassing, especially compared to Iowa.
  • Turn the 3rd turret around. Like, seriously, why would I even want a turret pointing backward, when it can't even fire directly backward and you have to go seriously [edited]broadside to use it? If I'm going to suffer having to go broadside to shoot backward, I might as well have all the turrets point forwards and suffer going full broadside shooting over the shoulder.
  • Why the [edited] is Izumo's rudder upgrade locked into C-hull?
  • Why the [edited] does Izumo even need a B-hull?

MrDeaf here has very reasonable solutions. If i may added one, that would be creating a more "robust" superstructure. The way Izumo is represented in game is very similar to the design its based on, but a design like that is not feasible for a soon to be constructed and commissioned ship.

Since the German T-4 to T-6 got Fantasy upgrades,, i want to suggest Izumo gets a new upgrade in Hull C that add a Yamato like superstructure with Musashi's level of secondaries and AA. That way Izumo can have a more robust superstructure that can absorb better damage, survive a little longer and actually be more resilient to HE. Of course like MrDeaf points out, we need to get rid of that uniform 32 mm plating that's everywhere.

In the past, when there was only two BB lines, i could understand Izumo been the way it was, but after the introduction of the German BB lines with their Fantasy upgrades, i believe that the time has come for Izumo to get a new design.

As an additional note. I find it funny that in the PS2 game Warship Gunner, on the Japanese BB line, when you chose the Superstructures, there was one that was exactly like this. In fact in that game you could build an Izumo, i think it was called Satsuma there. I have always wondered if WG knew this and created Izumo as a tribute to that game.

Edited by Sidelock