You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Fast_Battleship_Iowa

Fade-in Fade-out game mechanic is fantastically stupid

24 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
2,462 posts
5,645 battles

This mechanic blows.

World of Warships combat was infinitely better when the second an enemy ship was spotted, it would instantly appear right in front of you instead of having this **** slow fade in. I have no idea why they implemented it.

I was killed by a Fiji because he was spotted, and he had been spotted for several seconds, but this absolute mechanic prevented him from rendering in and he killed be before I could return fire on his invisible location.

Please Wargaming, at least give us the option to disable this mechanic.

rLdGL2b.png

Post edited by Mezurashi.
Mind the language.

Edited by Mezurashi
  • Cool 3

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

They announced a couple weeks back they were having some graphics issues; the current state is temporary. They "should" have it nailed down sometime very Soon. I know it's irritating... in some matches half the reds I should see, as I'm inside their gun bloom, don't appear for upwards of four to five seconds later. 

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
2,462 posts
5,645 battles
1 minute ago, Herr_Reitz said:

They announced a couple weeks back they were having some graphics issues; the current state is temporary. They "should" have it nailed down sometime very Soon. I know it's irritating... in some matches half the reds I should see, as I'm inside their gun bloom, don't appear for upwards of four to five seconds later. 

I can't wait until they remove it. In no other PvP game can I think of where I have to wait 3-5 seconds for an enemy to be visible enough to fire.

Members
4,561 posts
6,492 battles

This appear/disappear thing does drive me crazy. Well it's part of the mechanics so be it, but IRL ships don't appear then disappear like in this game....at least not to the extent they do in WoWs. Whatever.  Gotta deal with it.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,047 posts
5 hours ago, Cruiser_StLouis said:

snip

:Smile_great:This

5 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Only this has been an issue at Least since  I joined up and from everything I've seen even before that:Smile_amazed::Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1

Members
4,561 posts
6,492 battles
5 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

So you are saying part of this is graphics issues?  Ok. Get it fixed! 

[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,572 battles

This game was definitely more realistic when I first started this invisathing is a royal pain

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,258 posts
2,029 battles

Not sure if song reference... or just happy coincidence...

[SALVO]
Members
17,079 posts
17,744 battles
5 hours ago, Cruiser_StLouis said:

snip

What is it with you ... children ... that you can't write posts without swearing???  You do realize that intentionally mis-spelling an obscenity is a violation of forum rules, don't you?

EDIT: I don't give a damn how many down votes you guys give me.  Misspelled obscenities are every bit as much a violation of forum rules as naming and shaming!  You're willing to call people out on that in a heart beat, but heaven forbid that someone violate this rule.  You'll ignore it in a heart beat, and down vote anyone who dares to call you on it!  What friggin' hypocrites.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 4

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts
43 minutes ago, dmckay said:

So you are saying part of this is graphics issues?  Ok. Get it fixed! 

Yessir. Right away sir. On it sir. Loaded and hammer back sir. In the pipeline sir. 

It sort of existed before, so iirc, they did the fade in / fade out in an attempt to well... i have to guess... ease processing for the graphics, as ships at the very edge of visibility would be visible, not, visible, not, visible, not... etc... times potentially a number of ships. So once you were visible you "should" stay visible for some small period of time, otherwise no reduction in over head, right? 

It also had issues iirc, tied to the graphics glitch a patch or two back, remember that one? 

As with all things WoWS/WG, it'll get fixed when it gets fixed. In my book, yeah, should be a high priority. 

• Cool 1

[XBRTC]
Members
1,422 posts
7,448 battles

Well, the problem with "fixing" this is thaaaaaaat..... this is the fix.

Because doing it this way does not "create any unwanted side effects," it has been upgraded! It's a feature now, not a bug.

Sing it with me, everyone! FUN! AND! ENGAGING!

Members
4,561 posts
6,492 battles
10 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Yessir. Right away sir. On it sir. Loaded and hammer back sir. In the pipeline sir. 

It sort of existed before, so iirc, they did the fade in / fade out in an attempt to well... i have to guess... ease processing for the graphics, as ships at the very edge of visibility would be visible, not, visible, not, visible, not... etc... times potentially a number of ships. So once you were visible you "should" stay visible for some small period of time, otherwise no reduction in over head, right? 

It also had issues iirc, tied to the graphics glitch a patch or two back, remember that one? 

As with all things WoWS/WG, it'll get fixed when it gets fixed. In my book, yeah, should be a high priority. 

Sir!  Yes Sir! Carry on Sir!  Tks

Members
3,797 posts
14,092 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

[YORHA]
Members
3,338 posts

Had a game last night where a Belfast was spotted and was rendered on the mini-map .  He was sailing behind an island heading for an open channel separating it from another  island and I was waiting for him with AP in all barrels.  It would have been a kill shot for certain.

Would have been except for the fact he never rendered.  I sat there watching the icon on the mini map go from behind the first island, across the channel, and disappear behind the second island.  He rendered just in time for me to see his stern disappear out of sight.  I held the shot because I was sure he would render.  He didn't.

It was fun.  I was engaged.

Edited by JCC45

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts
1 hour ago, JCC45 said:

See? It WORKS! WUNDERBAR!!! :cap_like:

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,047 posts
5 hours ago, JCC45 said:

Had a game last night where a Belfast was spotted and was rendered on the mini-map .  He was sailing behind an island heading for an open channel separating it from another  island and I was waiting for him with AP in all barrels.  It would have been a kill shot for certain.

Would have been except for the fact he never rendered.  I sat there watching the icon on the mini map go from behind the first island, across the channel, and disappear behind the second island.  He rendered just in time for me to see his stern disappear out of sight.  I held the shot because I was sure he would render.  He didn't.

4 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

See? It WORKS! WUNDERBAR!!! :cap_like:

Lol:Smile_facepalm:

[TMS]
Members
1,741 posts
22,088 battles
9 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Even before the current rendering issue the fade in and out adds delay all by itself.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

What gets me is I get a spotter for a certain amount of time. Every time that contact fades out and then reappears on the minimap it's up to 5 seconds for it to reappear again. That severely impacts the usefulness of the asset. If it's going to take more time to fix the issue then I think it's fair that the active time of the asset should be an additional 10% until the fix is achieved. 

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,010 posts
9,045 battles
13 hours ago, dmckay said:

This appear/disappear thing does drive me crazy. Well it's part of the mechanics so be it, but IRL ships don't appear then disappear like in this game....at least not to the extent they do in WoWs. Whatever.  Gotta deal with it.

In real life, ships don’t have instant damage control, unlimited torpedoes that reload under two minutes, 3-4% hit rate instead of 30%, don’t travel at 100+ mph, etc.

13 hours ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

This game was definitely more realistic when I first started this invisathing is a royal pain

It was pretty much the same timing since open beta when ships instantly popped up. The issue now has nothing to do with the rendering delay between mini-map and the screen - that’s a recent bug.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,572 battles
1 hour ago, SavageTactical said:

In real life, ships don’t have instant damage control, unlimited torpedoes that reload under two minutes, 3-4% hit rate instead of 30%, don’t travel at 100+ mph, etc.

It was pretty much the same timing since open beta when ships instantly popped up. The issue now has nothing to do with the rendering delay between mini-map and the screen - that’s a recent bug.

It seems to have begun when they started the game mechanic that you become visable for a timed period when firing, many times I’ll see a ship in tracking  fire were I think they are and only see a disturbance in the water but see no ship for 5 or more seconds  ,when it does appear it’s not for very long.. this is clear line of sight with no smoke in the way

Members
4,561 posts
6,492 battles
1 hour ago, SavageTactical said:

Heck I know....but it still drives me nuts at times! Carry on. :Smile_honoring:

[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,572 battles
3 hours ago, Gascan75 said:

What gets me is I get a spotter for a certain amount of time. Every time that contact fades out and then reappears on the minimap it's up to 5 seconds for it to reappear again. That severely impacts the usefulness of the asset. If it's going to take more time to fix the issue then I think it's fair that the active time of the asset should be an additional 10% until the fix is achieved. 

You would think the spotter plane would improve visable ship sighting ... I launch mine the visable ships disappear happens to much to be a coincidence 

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,017 battles

Well I don’t know of any other game that has to load and render so much detail each time a ship is spotted. It probably has to do with the way to ships are stored and have to be retrieved in order to render. I would assume recoding in order to get an immediate render will take a while. As for the fade in and out, it is the same as before the update except they made everything render at the same time instead of seeing the wake and smoke after a second then the actual ship a few seconds later. This fact also is the reason I believe it is the issue with retrieving the model in order to render.

• Boring 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,047 posts
5 hours ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

Well I don’t know of any other game that has to load and render so much detail each time a ship is spotted. It probably has to do with the way to ships are stored and have to be retrieved in order to render. I would assume recoding in order to get an immediate render will take a while. As for the fade in and out, it is the same as before the update except they made everything render at the same time instead of seeing the wake and smoke after a second then the actual ship a few seconds later. This fact also is the reason I believe it is the issue with retrieving the model in order to render.

Excuse's...........................