You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Astrosaint

Thoughts on on CVs

129 comments in this topic

[_H2O_]
Members
137 posts
6,203 battles

I have been playing the low end CV for some time.  I have not kept up with the CV discussions but I have seen some of the videos with the higher tier CVs.  I also saw the video done by the Mighty Jingles on the Tier 10 USS Worcester as well as Noster's comments about CVs.  Based on my experience and viewing the videos, I have some suggestions for redoing CV.

1.  Get rid of the Manual Drop for all CVs.  This would level the playing field between new payers and the Unicom super players a bit.  I was aghast that someone can drop 15 torps on a ship and delete it in seconds using Manual drop.  Auto drop actually gives a ship captain time to maneuver.  It takes more time for the planes to get in formation.

2.  On the higher tier surface ships like the Worcester, the Mighty Jingles video demonstrated how to wipe out 300 planes using the AA module.  That also left me aghast.  It is quite understandable the CV players avoid tactical attack on these ships.  The AA model becomes available as early as tier 6. Another Jingles video showed how a Tier 8 Lexington told the team it would only be chasing the CV because the other Tier 8 and 9 ships carried the AA module.  He wanted something to sink and not obliterate every plane that is deployed.  Get rid of the module.  It was a bad way to balance out the air power advantage.  I  played a Tier 8 North Carolina that show 30 planes down without ANY AAA modifications in one of my early games with it.

3.This will really upset people who play CVs (those few of us).  Limit the plane load out to 1 squad of fighters, 2 Squads of bombers, and 2 Squads of Torpedo planes for EVERYTHING above Tier 6.  When I see 7-9 full squadrons of planes in the air per carrier, I am at a loss on how to sail any surface ship w/o the AA module.  The term "sky cancer" would be correct for such massive Air forces.

4.  Leave the spotting ability alone--it is not that important when you have 3-5 squadrons of plane flying around.  It is a problem with you have CV deploying 7-9 squads of aircraft.  All those squads also mandate an AA module that has one ship knocking down more planes than were shot down during the Mariana's Turkey Shoot in 1944.

Sorry Unicom players, the meta for high end CVs is busted and CV are now an endangered species in WOWS.  Saving it will require drastic measures for IJN and USS CVs design.    Astrosaint

Edited by Astrosaint
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 5

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Balancing CVs by removing manual drops is like balancing battleships by removing main batteries. The way to fix the CV skill gap issue is to remember that there are 11 other players in the match, and introduce an AA mechanic that makes their skills a factor.

Edited by cometguy
  • Cool 5

[SOV]
Members
465 posts
10,940 battles
4 minutes ago, cometguy said:

Balancing CVs by removing manual drops is like balancing battleships by removing main batteries. The way to fix the CV skill gap issue is to remember that there are 11 other players in the match, and introduce an AA mechanic that makes their skills a factor.

Thats perfict.

Removing manual drop know one will play cv because its boring.  Blaming the cv when there are others in the game needs to be remembers. If you blob up planes will not get through.

• Cool 1

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,036 posts
11,210 battles

1. Manual drops its the only reason to play cvs. Remove manual drops is making cvs become useless.

The skill gap not "happens" in the manual drops, but in the strafe. That what they need re-work, now is easy a good cv control totaly the bad one because you can just strafe everthing.

• Cool 3

Members
2,500 posts
5,479 battles

Maybe WOW will implement  TRUE MANUAL drop via this diagram where YOU fly the plane and release the bomb ?  You fly the plane in realtime and view in third person view or first person view. - your squadron mimics you.

bomb-run.png

[_H2O_]
Members
137 posts
6,203 battles

Interesting.  People want to keep manual drop but are not disturbed by 300 planes being destroyed by one cruiser or the entire sky covered with airplanes.  Astrosaint.

[SOV]
Members
465 posts
10,940 battles
21 minutes ago, Astrosaint said:

Interesting.  People want to keep manual drop but are not disturbed by 300 planes being destroyed by one cruiser or the entire sky covered with airplanes.  Astrosaint.

Very very true.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,217 battles
1 hour ago, cometguy said:

Balancing CVs by removing manual drops is like balancing battleships by removing main batteries.

Utter nonsense; what it WILL do is narrow the skills gap  between noob and vet CV players, which the vets obviously don't want.

1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

Removing manual drop know one will play cv because its boring.

More nonsense; every time there has been a major change in how the game works, someone has said it was the end of the game, the end of the type, the end of the class, or the end of the ship. All it really will be is the beginning of the whining.

1 hour ago, HyenaHiena said:

Manual drops its the only reason to play cvs. Remove manual drops is making cvs become useless.

And another bit of utter tripe, as CVs were far from useless when the game went from Closed Beta to Open Beta. More CV drivers not wanting their OP ships nerfed.

Manual drops make CVs too powerful, make the skills gap between new and vet CV players difficult to overcome, and because of that, are actually harming the CV driver population, and the game. BaBBies do when their ships are threatened

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles
1 hour ago, Astrosaint said:

On the higher tier surface ships like the Worcester, his video demonstrated how to wipe out 300 planes using the AA module.

42 minutes ago, Astrosaint said:

I would like to know how it was 300 seeing as a random tier 10 match won't even come close to that number, both CV lines don't carry that many planes in the hanger?

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
149 posts
2,120 battles

I hate 'em. Miserable floating nests of annoying metal flies....

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles

3.This will really upset people who play CVs (those few of us).  Limit the plane load out to 1 squad of fighters, 2 Squads of bombers, and 2 Squads of Torpedo planes for EVERYTHING above Tier 6.  When I see 7-9 full squadrons of planes in the air per carrier, I am at a loss on how to sail any surface ship w/o the AA module.  The term "sky cancer" would be correct for such massive Air forces.

Not to sound rude but did you look at the load out for both IJN and US CV lines if you did you would know that the US line load outs are not even close to 7-9 squad Midway only gets 6 and that tier 10, IJN CV get the higher load outs like you have said so it won't be CV players that get upset if it changed to 1-2-2 like you have said and we know what they can be like and WG towards IJN CV.

[SOV]
Members
465 posts
10,940 battles
1 minute ago, Aurora_7 said:

I hate 'em. Miserable floating nests of annoying metal flies....

Then stop playing the game. Your the whiny player base we dont need. Why can there not be planes but dd can fire 8 trips every 2 min and that is ok

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
4 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Utter nonsense; what it WILL do is narrow the skills gap  between noob and vet CV players, which the vets obviously don't want.

It's not utter nonsense. It will narrow the skill gap, because it removes skill. And then you end up with things like the Graf Zeppelin, because CVs are supposed to do large amounts of damage to capital ships. Making it autodrop only means autodrop has to be better. Which means literally anyone is good enough to delete a battleship.

• Cool 1

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles

2.  On the higher tier surface ships like the Worcester, his video demonstrated how to wipe out 300 planes using the AA module.  That also left me aghast.  It is quite understandable the CV players avoid tactical attack on these ships.  The AA model becomes available as early as tier 6. Another Jingles video showed how a Tier 8 Lexington told the team it would only be chasing the CV because the other Tier 8 and 9 ships carried the AA module.  He wanted something to sink and not obliterate every plane that is deployed.  Get rid of the module.  It was a bad way to balance out the air power advantage.  I  played a Tier 8 North Carolina that show 30 planes down without ANY AAA modifications in one of my early games with it.

Most good CV players know how to work around AA you could be a tier 8 CV in a tier 10 match and still help your team while dealing a lot off damage, you spot and give AA cover and let your teammates get rid off some AA guns then when the ships AA is weaker the CV can start to go in for strikes. Same as a ship spec for AA CV  players will avoid them and teammates use them for AA cover it's part off the game.

• Cool 1

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
149 posts
2,120 battles
4 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Then stop playing the game. Your the whiny player base we dont need. Why can there not be planes but dd can fire 8 trips every 2 min and that is ok

I'm honest, not whiny. I continue to play just out of pure vengeance.

I love it when I get the opportunity to kill a carrier...:Smile_playing:

• Cool 1

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles
1 minute ago, Aurora_7 said:

I love it when I get the opportunity to kill a carrier...

And im sure a CV loves it even more when they sink you and that nice feeling of watching a ship sink to the bottom off the sea as you fly over the top of them in your planes.

• Boring 1

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
149 posts
2,120 battles
6 minutes ago, ausanimal said:

And im sure a CV loves it even more when they sink you and that nice feeling of watching a ship sink to the bottom off the sea as you fly over the top of them in your planes.

Considering how much it's happened to me, I've experienced a whole lot of luv'n. :Smile_sad:

Edited by Aurora_7
smiley
  • Cool 1

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
303 posts
5,159 battles

I have been playing the low end CV for some time.  I have not kept up with the CV discussions but I have seen some of the videos with the higher tier CVs.  I also saw the video done by the Mighty Jingles on the Tier 10 USS Worcester as well as Noster's comments about CVs.  Based on my experience and viewing the videos, I have some suggestions for redoing CV.

1.  Get rid of the Manual Drop for all CVs.  This would level the playing field between new payers and the Unicom super players a bit.  I was aghast that someone can drop 15 torps on a ship and delete it in seconds using Manual drop.  Auto drop actually gives a ship captain time to maneuver.  It takes more time for the planes to get in formation.

2.  On the higher tier surface ships like the Worcester, his video demonstrated how to wipe out 300 planes using the AA module.  That also left me aghast.  It is quite understandable the CV players avoid tactical attack on these ships.  The AA model becomes available as early as tier 6. Another Jingles video showed how a Tier 8 Lexington told the team it would only be chasing the CV because the other Tier 8 and 9 ships carried the AA module.  He wanted something to sink and not obliterate every plane that is deployed.  Get rid of the module.  It was a bad way to balance out the air power advantage.  I  played a Tier 8 North Carolina that show 30 planes down without ANY AAA modifications in one of my early games with it.

4.  Leave the spotting ability alone--it is not that important when you have 3-5 squadrons of plane flying around.  It is a problem with you have CV deploying 7-9 squads of aircraft.  All those squads also mandate an AA module that has one ship knocking down more planes than were shot down during the Mariana's Turkey Shoot in 1944.

Sorry Unicom players, the meta for high end CVs is busted and CV are now an endangered species in WOWS.  Saving it will require drastic measures for IJN and USS CVs design.    Astrosaint

#1 absolutely not. If you are going to adjust manual drops the only thing you need to do is bring them back to tier 4 and 5.

what I think needs to happen: dump the strafe. Or make it a consumable thing with a cooldown thing.

allow left click fighter engagements to be disengaged with a consumable. 

Keep manual drops as is.

nerf the defAA to a 100% bonus or less but keep or even buff the effects of the panic.

Possibly Buff manual AA to a 200% bonus.

I’ve always felt the biggest detriment to CVs is the fact that it’s a 1v1 fight. When a noob or even mediocre cv player runs up against a Unicom cv player it’s frustrating enough to make people rage quit more than anything else in this game. This at least gives them a small chance to be a little more effective without getting strafed to the ground in the first few minutes of the game.

• Bad 1

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles
17 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Manual drops make CVs too powerful, make the skills gap between new and vet CV players difficult to overcome, and because of that, are actually harming the CV driver population, and the game. BaBBies do when their ships are threatened

The problem not the manual drop but the lack off info about it when you get a tier 6 CV, if your new and have no idea about it when you hit tier 6 and get into a match and the other CV strafes all your planes or their TB drops are better you wonder how and start trying to find out. I'm sure we all have seen that new tier 6 CV that didn't know about manual drops or strafes WG need to put in info about letting you know what it is and how to use it, even if it pops up on screen when you get your first tier 6 CV. Any new player to a class of ship will not be good as vet player and that go's for nearly any game it's practice that will make you better and in case off CV needing to learn strafe and manual drops, it's fine to get told how to do it or watch a youtube video but that just gives you the idea on how to do it.

If your manual drops are bad as a CV then it time to take a step back and go practice be it co-op, tier 6 or in training with friends or clan members and learn how to do those pin point manual drops to be able to cross drop a DD and get the kill in one shot and not most off your torps missing. 

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles
13 minutes ago, gmrbull said:

what I think needs to happen: dump the strafe. Or make it a consumable thing with a cooldown thing.

allow left click fighter engagements to be disengaged with a consumable. 

Keep manual drops as is.

nerf the defAA to a 100% bonus or less but keep or even buff the effects of the panic.

Possibly Buff manual AA to a 200% bonus.

I’ve always felt the biggest detriment to CVs is the fact that it’s a 1v1 fight. When a noob or even mediocre cv player runs up against a Unicom cv player it’s frustrating enough to make people rage quit more than anything else in this game. This at least gives them a small chance to be a little more effective without getting strafed to the ground in the first few minutes of the game.

1 problem with getting rid of strafe is the loadouts of the CVs in open water a IJN CV can just use both fighters on the 1 US fighter and win or just use one knowing it will lose while the other one gives AA cover to team. If they were to remove strafe they would need to look at the loadouts off both CV lines and tier of fighters and even squad numbers.

The problem with AA is everyone just wants a buff to AA but no one will spec their ships for AA, let alone the team working as a team and using that AA cover, you can tell your team you ship is spec for AA at the start off the match but they will still rush of and not care until the enemy CV sinks them.

• Cool 1

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles
27 minutes ago, Aurora_7 said:

Considering how much it's happened to me, I've experienced a whole lot of luv'n.

If i see you in a match and im playing CV i won't sink you right away ill let you live for a while or until my team could lose because off you.

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
149 posts
2,120 battles
3 minutes ago, ausanimal said:

If i see you in a match and im playing CV i won't sink you right away ill let you live for a while or until my team could lose because off you.

Hmmm.....deal.

Members
3,780 posts
14,033 battles
2 hours ago, HyenaHiena said:

1. Manual drops its the only reason to play cvs. Remove manual drops is making cvs become useless.

That wouldn't break my heart in the least.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,217 battles
1 hour ago, cometguy said:

It's not utter nonsense. It will narrow the skill gap, because it removes skill. And then you end up with things like the Graf Zeppelin, because CVs are supposed to do large amounts of damage to capital ships. Making it autodrop only means autodrop has to be better. Which means literally anyone is good enough to delete a battleship.

It IS utter nonsense; literally everything in this game removes skill. Recticular aiming removes skill; enhanced hit percentages removes skill; Notifications that you are spotted removes skill; telling a player how many reds are targeting him removes skill; repairing your ship in the middle of a battle removes skill. WoW doesn't cater to skill, they cater to dump-truck potatoes; because if those tater tots CANNOT sink a battleship in their shiny new, incredibly expensive premium CV, they won't buy any more: Any more ships, any more consumables, any more premium time. And autodrop ought to be competitive, but a CV should NOT be as powerful as it is in the real world, or the game balance will be shot to crap.

CVs did an ENORMOUS amount of damage to ships in CBT and OBT, all without manual drop; in fact, they did so very much damage that BB drivers complained and got them nerf-hammered even before DDs got slammed. AND we already have CVs that are terribly OP, and not just Graf Zep; Saipan is OP with tier 9 planes against tier 5 AA; Kaga is OP with her weird drop patterns; and now USN CVs are getting AP bombs, which will make them OP also. The way to fix and balance CVs isn't to give them more gimmicks, it's to give them equal chances of sinking a ship as that ship has of sinking them.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,217 battles
1 hour ago, ausanimal said:

The problem not the manual drop but the lack off info about it when you get a tier 6 CV

No, the problem which makes manual drops OP is the ability to drop torps 0.3K away from a ship, removing all possibility of avoiding the drop. By removing that ability, you restore balance between CV drivers.

1 hour ago, ausanimal said:

other CV strafes all your planes

Fighters should be removed completely; they cannot target ships and add to the number of things a CV driver has to worry about. No fighters, no strafes, no problems.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1