You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

Skip Izumo? - need advice

Buy Izumo or skip it using 104k free xp?   

10 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use up 100k + free xp not to play Izumo?

• Yes, skip it and buy the Yamoto
    • No, grind it. It's not a bad ship and save your free XP

23 comments in this topic

Members
1,577 posts
10,007 battles

I just unlocked Izumo. I played it with a 19 point captain on the test server and it was excruciatingly painful.  Granted I only played about 6-7 battles but I have Richelieu so I played it the same way. I found the third turret almost useless as it has to turn completely every time I switch aim from left or right. 

Is this ship as bad as it seems? Is there a play style that makes it somewhat bearable?  or should I use 104k free XP and skip to the Yamato? 

ddd.PNG

Edited by STINKWEED_

Members
1,152 posts
3,145 battles

It's really up to you. If you really can't stand it, then skip it, it's a video game and should be fun in the first place. Don't waste time playing a ship you don't enjoy. If you have the patience to learn how to play it, you'll realize that it can actually do some serious work. It isn't trash tier horrible, it's just outclassed by the other battleships at its tier. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,676 posts
9,071 battles

If you have the Musashi you are already familiar with how the Yamato plays and yes the {explicative deleted} is painful to play, it doesn't have the speed to catch most of the ships it sees and at the same time it doesn't have the armor to fight most of the ships it sees.

[AR]
[AR]
Members
316 posts
11,853 battles

Keep the Izumo.

[RLGN]
Members
8,278 posts
17,318 battles

Suffer through Izumo; then use the fxp generated to buy a Nelson, and revel in the rapid aim-shift glory that is an all-forward battleship where the turrets actually all face forward!

• Cool 1

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,897 posts
10,471 battles

If you can afford it skip it.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,676 posts
9,071 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Suffer through Izumo; then use the fxp generated to buy a Nelson, and revel in the rapid aim-shift glory that is an all-forward battleship where the turrets actually all face forward!

This is a really good idea if the OP doesn't already have her.

Members
1,577 posts
10,007 battles
Just now, Estimated_Prophet said:

I have 270k free XP. Is the Nelson any good? 

Where I struggle with Izumo is it's size. It so huge that I have to use it in flank with bow towards enemy but I also don't want to get too close. Problem is when I did that (going really slow or camped) I either got torped by CV planes or got flanked by sneaking Shima.

When I try to run I have to show my sides and being such a big target everything tends to land a direct hit.  

[FML]
Members
1,767 posts
10,138 battles
23 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I just unlocked Izumo. I played it with a 19 point captain on the test server and it was excruciatingly painful.  Granted I only played about 6-7 battles but I have Richelieu so I played it the same way. I found the third turret almost useless as it has to turn completely every time I switch aim from left or right. 

Is this ship as bad as it seems? Is there a play style that makes it somewhat bearable?  or should I use 104k free XP and skip to the Yamato? 

ddd.PNG

Hi. I’m still having fun grinding the Amagi, but I fully plan to free XP past the Izumo without even buying it, and just get the Yamato. I have enough free XP saved already. 

I too played the Izumo on the test server and had the same (negative) experience. 

Members
2,407 posts
7,723 battles
23 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Izumo teaches you a lot about positioning, its a valuable learning towards Yamato IMO. 

And the ship has good guns, so its not that bad.

[RLGN]
Members
8,278 posts
17,318 battles
9 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I too played the Izumo on the test server and had the same (negative) experience. 

Good grief; two years in a Izumo haters are still floating up every now and then...

...if it’s that bad, I suppose that means I’ll love the thing, since that seems to happen with ships everyone else says is bad...

[SIMP]
Members
1,020 posts

Good lord, skip this horrid fake ship at all costs!

It's terrible to look at, sucks in combat unless RNG is smiling on you, and catches fire if someone so much as farts.

The grind is horribly long in it for the glorious - and real, I might add - Yamato.

SKIP IT, SKIP IT, SKIP IT!!!

Members
1,577 posts
10,007 battles

Wow    so far it's a 50/50 split between players saying to skip and those saying it's not a bad ship so...... I added a poll. 

Edited by STINKWEED_

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
56 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I have 270k free XP. Is the Nelson any good? 

Where I struggle with Izumo is it's size. It so huge that I have to use it in flank with bow towards enemy but I also don't want to get too close. Problem is when I did that (going really slow or camped) I either got torped by CV planes or got flanked by sneaking Shima.

When I try to run I have to show my sides and being such a big target everything tends to land a direct hit.  

The Nelson is also a massive slow ship. Its also torp bait. If you don't like huge slow ships i wouldn't head that way.

[LHG]
Members
1,194 posts
4,975 battles

Positioning in a battleship is something you should already know by T9, and if you don't there are much better A-B-[_] battleships in other tech trees that don't suck like the Izumo. I have never seen one do well in any match.

Members
1,844 posts
17,666 battles
1 hour ago, STINKWEED_ said:

(going really slow or camped)

Wrong play style for Izumo...at full speed it can cut & dodge really well for it's size...slow or camped...a sitting duck is sitting.

Not suggesting full speed ahead w/out support of course but rather than ever slowing down for island cover cut around that island & head back the other way at full speed to avoid overwhelming fire...emphasis on full speed. Never camp & slowing down should only be momentarily strategical (quick slam on breaks to dodge a volley of torps or shells or to cut hard 1 way to bring your guns around to change targets to a juicy broadside) & immediately followed by full acceleration ASAP.

Edit: Izumo held my all time highest score (nothing to brag about there anyway...187k) & potential damage records (3.5 Mil) for a long time...but a lot of that has to do w/the fact I finished it long before the free HSF Yammy camo &/or Musashi were available...& I don't run T10 ships w/out premium camo & when I could afford to buy a premium camo I unfortunately used it for the Gearing & bought an Atlanta at same time (commander swap was perfect as long as AFT was viable for Gearing)...a couple of months before they removed stealth firing. Gearings not bad mind you but it was way better w/stealth firing & would not have been my 1st choice w/out the stealth firing option...la vie).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[FML]
Members
1,767 posts
10,138 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Good grief; two years in a Izumo haters are still floating up every now and then...

...if it’s that bad, I suppose that means I’ll love the thing, since that seems to happen with ships everyone else says is bad...

Yes, as the ships we both like seem to be the inverse, I expect you’ll become epic pro at Izumo :Smile_great:

[SOB]
Members
30 posts
7,546 battles

I skipped it.  It's the ONLY ship I've ever skipped with Free XP...it was that bad for me.

I have a friend who grinded the Izumo and says it wasn't that bad. 

Ultimately, its up to you. Try it out and see what you think.

[SPF]
Members
96 posts
9,424 battles

If you have the hull, engine and range upgrades she is actually fun to play (if not, freeXP those and give her a try). her guns are quite accurate and with fire prevention build her surviveability is quite good too. she is a good support BB on a flank (which also helps with her weird turret layout). just cant take too much broadside damage.

[NETSI]
Members
72 posts
7,772 battles

Satisfy your internal masochism and play Izumo full stock grind all the way through like any other ship.

Edited by hyuuu
  • Funny 1