You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Popguns_2018

Mine laying DD's

62 comments in this topic

[WENCH]
Members
5 posts
6,193 battles

Mine laying DD's?  Say about 6 mines that float and only can be seen at a 1/2 km.  This could have a major tactical advantage in laying some in certain map areas.

THOUGHTS???

• Cool 1
  • Bad 3

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,822 battles

I suggested this 2 years ago and it was resoundingly crapped on here on the forum. Then implemented sort of in the Dunkirk operation.

[SBS]
Members
2,488 posts
2,253 battles

Its in the game already, have you ever played the Sims?

• Cool 4
  • Funny 7

[INTEL]
Members
6,674 posts
25,826 battles

Other than Sims sea mines? No.

Enough salt. Can you imagine going along and exploding for no apparent reason?

Nope. No. No.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,193 posts
11,707 battles

No thanks.

Beta Testers
1,059 posts
13,870 battles
8 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Now that was funny!

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,039 posts
3,580 battles

I see more friendly ships dying to these, than enemy ships. No thanks.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,711 posts
9,112 battles

We have enough problems with team damage from torpedoes and you want to make that team damage even easier to happen?

Members
3,254 posts
9,531 battles

It would be about well-received as radar. Can you imagine how much BBs would freak out if they died to mines?

Even better, give some ships a consumable that lets them place mines at just before the start of the map. Make them deep water mines so DDs can sail right over them and spot them for teammates, but CAs and BBs who run off and solo run into them and die.

• Funny 1

[SYN]
Members
4,549 posts
11,437 battles
47 minutes ago, Popguns_2018 said:

Mine laying DD's?  Say about 6 mines that float and only can be seen at a 1/2 km.  This could have a major tactical advantage in laying some in certain map areas.

THOUGHTS???

No.

Been brought up before.  Deservedly shot down each time.

There are already enough stealthy torpedo launching DDs and many torpedo launching cruisers.  A few torpedo launching battleships as well.  Then you have very efficiently dropped torps, as well as bombs, coming from aircraft.  In particular, there are already enough torpedos swimming around in the high tiers.  So much so that at times, if there were people modeled in the game, they could walk from one end of the map to the other without getting their feet wet.

Then add to that the problem of mindless players who don't care to differentiate friend from foe when firing torpedoes, and are only too quick to blame the victim when they torpedo a teammate.

...and you think adding mines would be a good thing?  Just, no.

Two things this game unequivocally doesn't need:  Subs, and mines.  People who bring this up and make the suggestions are usually those who know the least about how these assets were actually employed.

Edited by Kuckoo

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
863 posts
4,890 battles
25 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Other than Sims sea mines? No.

Enough salt. Can you imagine going along and exploding for no apparent reason?

Nope. No. No.

Very true. People complain about passive play can you imagine what this would do.

Members
2,433 posts
7,746 battles
56 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Marblehead has water mines too, although is not a DD they are even better (or worse) than Sims :Smile-_tongue:

Edited by Xlap

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,894 posts
1,338 battles
58 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Even worse, the two Italian cruisers.  12 km, 51 knots.  Sea mines.  They do work, though.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,894 posts
1,338 battles
42 minutes ago, Lensar said:

It would be about well-received as radar. Can you imagine how much BBs would freak out if they died to mines?

Even better, give some ships a consumable that lets them place mines at just before the start of the map. Make them deep water mines so DDs can sail right over them and spot them for teammates, but CAs and BBs who run off and solo run into them and die.

Let Asashio drop sea mines as well.  It already pisses BB captains off anyway...

Members
1,348 posts
506 battles
1 hour ago, Popguns_2018 said:

THOUGHTS???

7EcntyP.gif

• Cool 2

[JUICE]
Members
820 posts
6,369 battles

I think they should make the map border a mine. Then there would be no need for the asashio.lol

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

Members
1,853 posts
17,674 battles
1 hour ago, Kuckoo said:

Two things this game unequivocally doesn't need:  Subs, and mines.

Don't group subs w/mines...subs would be cool...just too slow & impractical on any kind of map w/borders.

• Bad 1

[INTEL]
Members
808 posts
8,353 battles
1 hour ago, mavfin87 said:

Even worse, the two Italian cruisers.  12 km, 51 knots.  Sea mines.  They do work, though.

Nice try but no.

Sims sea mines stats: 49kts/9.2km/8500 damage.

Thats considerably worse than the Italians 51/12/13336

Otoh, Sims can almost reload before a spread finishes its run. With reload expert and adrenaline rush she can.

Members
1,348 posts
506 battles
6 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Don't group subs w/mines...subs would be cool...just too slow & impractical on any kind of map w/borders.

a6XtPmW.gif

hB9FKzM.gif

• Cool 1

Members
1,853 posts
17,674 battles
5 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

a6XtPmW.gif

hB9FKzM.gif

Subs would be cool...that is why they originally tried to incorporate them in the 1st place...anybody that doesn't think subs would be cool won't even chase down a DD after they have just watched it's torps pass by knowing how long it will take for the torps to reload just because they are in a BB & instead turn away calling for help (of course you need to be moving close to full speed to insure the DDs death & those types are usually parked anyway)...but anyway...

You don't "reset the clock" when somebody says, "subs would be cool"...unless they are asking for subs to be included in the game when they say it...& I not only didn't ask for that...I stated the reason why it would be impractical...because even that parked BB can full steam ahead & chase down that sub before it has a chance for it's torps to reload because subs were that slow (especially on a map w/borders in a game w/2km assured acquisition even w/out the upgrade...nobody wants to run a ship that only gets to fire 1 volley & then their game is over...even if that 1 volley gets a dev strike it's the only 1 you get more often than not...& as you have to be facing a target to fire them even if your 2nd volley loaded you wouldn't be able to fire them while running because they are forward facing only...sorry...just trolling you w/data you probably already know because you trolled me 1st).

[WOLF9]
Members
1,110 posts
9 hours ago, Popguns_2018 said:

THOUGHTS???

They would have to be visible to your own team on the minimap, and even then, I see this leading to the gnashing of teeth and rending of garments. You are guaranteed to sink most of the BBs on your team, absolutely guaranteed.

Members
1,853 posts
17,674 battles
16 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

They would have to be visible to your own team on the minimap, and even then, I see this leading to the gnashing of teeth and rending of garments. You are guaranteed to sink most of the BBs on your team, absolutely guaranteed.

Minelayer: "Don't worry...I mined that channel...the reds will never get to the 2 of us here".

Just then 6 red ships appear from then flanking direction...

Minelayer: "Uh oh...I just mined off our only means of escape"...

Voice Actor: "Engine boost activated"...

Minelayer: "See ya' BB...gl...hf"

• Funny 1

[SYN]
Members
14,467 posts
10,482 battles

If WG implements sea mines, I will be sure to ram each and every one of them dropped by my teammates, because how else am I supposed to hit the reds with my sword?

• Funny 1

[WENCH]
Members
5 posts
6,193 battles

I was thinking that after getting a cap with no support from team mates that I would leave a few mines in the cap, or mining the channel in 2 brothers map.

just thoughts.