Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Question about the matchmaker mechanics

16 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,916 battles

Been playing in Ranked battles and wanted to play some Random battles (I play dds).  New for me is that my Tier VII ships are meeting Tier IX and my Tier VIII are now see Tier Xs.  Is it the fact that I'm playing Ranked that the computer is uptiering me or is there some other metric that it's using?  If it's the latter, I'm flattered, if just a little frustrated.  I need to know if I have to adjust my gameplay.  I'm a decent Benson driver, but I can't put myself in a place where I'm 1 on 1 with a Gearing (which I got to play with the space battles so I know how bad [edited] she is).

Members
9,976 posts

Since when didn't they? :Smile_amazed:

I've never touched ranked, and I still see a significant # of matches bottom tiered in 7 and 8.

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,021 battles

You aren’t playing in ranked. Make sure it doesn’t say random battles. Ranked is only tier 8 until rank 10. Rank 9 until rank 2 is tier 10 and rank 1 is tier 7. You will only see the tier that you are in. 

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,916 battles
23 minutes ago, awiggin said:

I've never touched ranked, and I still see a significant # of matches bottom tiered in 7 and 8.

It's new for me.  Does that mean that the game thinks that I can play at that level?

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,916 battles
19 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

You aren’t playing in ranked. Make sure it doesn’t say random battles. R

I don't understand your comment.  I assure you, I was playing Ranked battles.  I'm not that good yet, but I'm improving.  If you want, I can send you a screenshot of my profile.

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,021 battles
17 minutes ago, AMajor said:

I don't understand your comment.  I assure you, I was playing Ranked battles.  I'm not that good yet, but I'm improving.  If you want, I can send you a screenshot of my profile.

I think I read that wrong. You’re saying you are finding it weird to be uptiered in random battles? Ranked and clan are the only game modes where you play against same tier... You have always played within 2 tier +/- unless you played a few years ago.

In other words there can be be a range of 3 tiers per game. It has nothing to do with skill or ranked just how the game has been made.

Edited by Belyy_Klyk

Members
1,339 posts
504 battles

tier 7 has seen tier nine for like ever,, and same for T8 seeing T10.... nothing has changed... and likely nothing will...
RANKED games are all SAME TIER GAMES...

over 2K battles and you never noticed +/- 2 tier???

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,916 battles
On 5/6/2018 at 5:52 PM, neptunes_wrath said:

over 2K battles and you never noticed +/- 2 tier???

No, I did know before.  My experience in the past in Random, however, was that I've had a mix of uptiered, even tiered and top tiered games so it's evened out.  It just seemed that very lately I am ALWAYS uptiered in every Random battle that I play.  I'm probably just being paranoid and Perception is not Reality.  It does feel that I'm working much harder in Random play lately.  I think that I'm getting spoiled with the elevated gameplay in Ranked (at least during the week).  I did have a possible explanation.  Does it change the game dynamics that my captains are getting up there in terms of Commander Skills (16 in the Benson for example) that would cause the game algorithm to pair me up with Tier X ships with Captains that may not have as many skills, just to even things out?  I'm probably giving the programmers too much credit.  That would be kind of cool, though, wouldn't it?

Just random thoughts.  As a scientist, I know better than to assume a pattern without collecting data.  I'm going to have a little scratch pad and make a mark each time I'm in a Ranked battle if I'm up-tiered, even, or top-tier and see what the data says after, say 20 battles.  Who wants to bet that it's an even split? 

Members
1,339 posts
504 battles
29 minutes ago, AMajor said:

No, I did know before.  My experience in the past in Random, however, was that I've had a mix of uptiered, even tiered and top tiered games so it's evened out.  It just seemed that very lately I am ALWAYS uptiered in every Random battle that I play.  I'm probably just being paranoid and Perception is not Reality.  It does feel that I'm working much harder in Random play lately.  I think that I'm getting spoiled with the elevated gameplay in Ranked (at least during the week).  I did have a possible explanation.  Does it change the game dynamics that my captains are getting up there in terms of Commander Skills (16 in the Benson for example) that would cause the game algorithm to pair me up with Tier X ships with Captains that may not have as many skills, just to even things out?  I'm probably giving the programmers too much credit.  That would be kind of cool, though, wouldn't it?

Just random thoughts.  As a scientist, I know better than to assume a pattern without collecting data.  I'm going to have a little scratch pad and make a mark each time I'm in a Ranked battle if I'm up-tiered, even, or top-tier and see what the data says after, say 20 battles.  Who wants to bet that it's an even split? 

see this is the thing.... you saying that makes it sound like you are the only tier 8 on the team and every red ship is nine or ten...
Now... having said that AND reading the rest I think confirmation bias is the word you are looking for...
12 ships.... and more than ONE will be bottom tier... more than ONE will be top tier, and a handful at matching tiers... chances are that a higher % will be either top or bottom, and all things considered, you should be top, mid and bottom about the same all around...

accept the challenge of bottom tier and SHINE for your team, be brave, and clever and learn that being at the bottom is never the worst thing, especially when you learn HOW to bottom tier like a boss...
(I miss the days when I could DIV my Umikazi with a Hindenburg and torp those BBs for minimal damage for laughs and never once get detected...

Edited by neptunes_wrath

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,916 battles
10 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

especially when you learn HOW to bottom tier like a boss..

I would REALLY appreciate any suggestions, videos, wiki posts, etc. that will help me do that.  I drive Tier VII and VIII USN (Sims, Mahan, Benson) and IJN (Akatsuki and Kagero)dds plus one Bad A** Pan Asian (LoYang) who is a C Hull Benson with Hydro.  My problem is when my Benson meets a Gearing or my Kagero comes up against a Shimakaze. 

Members
1,339 posts
504 battles
6 minutes ago, AMajor said:

I would REALLY appreciate any suggestions, videos, wiki posts, etc. that will help me do that.  I drive Tier VII and VIII USN (Sims, Mahan, Benson) and IJN (Akatsuki and Kagero)dds plus one Bad A** Pan Asian (LoYang) who is a C Hull Benson with Hydro.  My problem is when my Benson meets a Gearing or my Kagero comes up against a Shimakaze. 

GET THE FLETCHER,,,,, you will be happier....
GET THE AKIZUKI.....and again you will be happier....if you get good at Knife fights with the fletcher you might not be so afraid of Gearings....(I see a lot of gearings with a not so good style of playing it right....so you might be better off... and the Akizuki ROF against not so good DDs will make your day... IFHE and she makes for a lot of good fun...
WATCH YOUTUBE  Notser, FLamu and whoever you find that helps...

Members
3,470 posts
6,176 battles
10 hours ago, AMajor said:

I'm going to have a little scratch pad and make a mark each time I'm in a Ranked battle if I'm up-tiered, even, or top-tier

There is no tier spread for Ranked battles - it is in Random battles that have tiering.

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,814 battles
On 5/7/2018 at 5:57 AM, AMajor said:

Been playing in Ranked battles and wanted to play some Random battles (I play dds).  New for me is that my Tier VII ships are meeting Tier IX and my Tier VIII are now see Tier Xs.  Is it the fact that I'm playing Ranked that the computer is uptiering me or is there some other metric that it's using?  If it's the latter, I'm flattered, if just a little frustrated.  I need to know if I have to adjust my gameplay.  I'm a decent Benson driver, but I can't put myself in a place where I'm 1 on 1 with a Gearing (which I got to play with the space battles so I know how bad [edited] she is).

Normal random MM. You only protected in bottom tier. Now you a small fish in a bigger pond. :Smile_teethhappy:

[AOI]
Members
111 posts
9,221 battles

80% of my matches in random games our in games with ships of at least 1 to 2 tiers above me..You have to understand all this stuff people our talking about is not what drives most of the battle setups by MM in random games..It comes down to how many players our online..WOW just does not have the player base numbers yet to have matchmaking keep most people in the same tier as the ships they our using..I play wow with ships from almost every tier as I enjoy the ships and the action not the need to get to tier 10..For me upper tier games our boring most of the time past tier 8..By that I mean on average team play is better but the games our more scripted while below tier 8 team play can be below average and less scripted but with smaller maps make the action in your face much more..The point to that previous statement is I like playing all the tiers depending on my mood so my time is spread across the spectrum of MM.Just spent the other day just playing tier 3 and 4..I wonder how many people get to tier 10 and never go back and spend any time in the lower tiers..That issue effects MM also..Back to the topic..WOW is going to have to expand its player base by a large margin before we see more balance in MM below tier 10 along with more game types and maps..Tier 10 is the only safe place to be right now if playing others above your tier bothers you..That is why smart people do not see into the stats to much because they realize MM has little balance right now......

timinindiana =V=

Edited by timinindiana

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

I don't see World of Warships ever gaining more than 20,000 players average a night, if anything that is the max I have see it if not a tad bit higher but 15,000 players is more of a average amount. The main thing about Match Maker is that I do believe it is sorta stat based but not fully. My reason for this being that for example: I can have my Ryujo, a Arizona, and a Fubuki Division and we will be battling at Tier VIII. Stat wise, I am a dangerous Ryujo Player. This does not mean I hate it rather I enjoy uptiering because it means I must change my tactics in order to win the battle.

To make it simple:

• Enjoy the challenge of uptiering or complain like everyone else (and mostly everyone does this)

Sign in to follow this