You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Ensign Cthulhu and son, Carrier Captains

7 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,267 posts
4,224 battles

My elder offspring has been at me for a while to play carriers. On the last PTS, he goaded me into playing a game with a Hiryu (because what harm could it do on the PTS), but I found using that many air groups at once too overwhelming.

This afternoon, I got a port slot in a Consumables container and was beginning to think about what I might use it for, when I thought "Naah, let's make him happy." So I free-XP'd to the Langley and bought it, and played a couple of games for his entertainment.

I will be training him to keep an eye on the minimap and notice stuff. If I ever get a training room, I'll let him loose in there.

One good thing about autodrop; if the enemy ship is relatively isolated, it makes it nearly impossible to teamkill. (What is the range of carrier a/c torpedoes anyway?)

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WPP]
Members
515 posts
5,418 battles

I’m not brain enough for Tier 6+ Japanese CVs, but the Americans are much more manageable.  I love my Langley.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,345 posts
9,536 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

What is the range of carrier a/c torpedoes anyway?

Air dropped torpedoes on Langley have a 3.2km range,  All other US CV's (including Saipan and Enterprise) have a 3.7km range.

All IJN CV's except Kaga have a 3.4km ranges,  Kaga has a 3km range.

Graf Zeppelin has a 2km range, regardless of choice between deep water and standard in her 1/2/1 load out.

If memory serves, the range is basically the length of the drop cone.

Torpedo Acceleration is very much a CV skill, and will cut the range, make you drop a little further back, and make your torpedoes harder to dodge. 

Some Tips for handling "busy" CV's like Hiryu. run your aircraft in groups. Your fighters will probably need to be run separately. Send both your dive bombers to the same location, and from then on, select them by windowing them, and treat them a single flight. You can do the same with torpedo bombers, though you might need to micro them for a cross drop.

Edited by SgtBeltfed

[ARGSY]
Members
6,267 posts
4,224 battles
7 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Air dropped torpedoes on Langley have a 3.2km range,  All other US CV's (including Saipan and Enterprise) have a 3.7km range.

All IJN CV's except Kaga have a 3.4km ranges,  Kaga has a 3km range.

Graf Zeppelin has a 2km range, regardless of choice between deep water and standard in her 1/2/1 load out.

If memory serves, the range is basically the length of the drop cone.

Torpedo Acceleration is very much a CV skill, and will cut the range, make you drop a little further back, and make your torpedoes harder to dodge. 

Some Tips for handling "busy" CV's like Hiryu. run your aircraft in groups. Your fighters will probably need to be run separately. Send both your dive bombers to the same location, and from then on, select them by windowing them, and treat them a single flight. You can do the same with torpedo bombers, though you might need to micro them for a cross drop.

Thanks for the advice.

I have a couple of captains - on one, I'm going to run Farazelleth's preferred order of aircraft servicing/HP, torp acceleration, torp-bomber servicing boost, air supremacy, dogfight expert. On the other, I'm getting the aircraft servicing and dogfight expert skills first, then going for the rest. I have upgraded the fighters and have almost enough to go for the B hull with larger hangar.

I also intend to stay with the Langley, and in co-op. This is mostly being done for the lad's entertainment, so I don't care if I never advance past it until he's old and grey.

Torpedo acceleration dropping the range should also help me avoid embarrassing "overs" like the one that clipped one of my destroyers this evening. Fortunately he was able to repair, but it was a bit bizarre and pointless to get a damage warning with each flooding tick; that's a bug I hope they remove. Warning on impact, teamkill penalty if they sink. What they do now has the potential to flood the chat bar as well as the unfortunate target vessel.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles

Jap CVs are hard, the the trade off though is a better CV, as they can anihilate their USN counterparts assuming equal and good skill, but USN ones are much more manageable, and if the skill is low and equal, will stomp their Japanese counterpart.

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
149 posts
2,120 battles
5 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

My elder offspring has been at me for a while to play carriers.

I'm jealous. I tried talking my oldest, an RPG player, into giving WoWs a try but he balked. He didn't think he could get into simming with ships. He'd rather quest with elves, lead special ops missions, fight aliens, prevail against dark magic or explore post apocalyptic worlds.

He's such a disappointment. :Smile_sad:

• Funny 2

[ARGSY]
Members
6,267 posts
4,224 battles
2 hours ago, GabeTheDespot said:

Jap CVs are hard, the the trade off though is a better CV, as they can anihilate their USN counterparts assuming equal and good skill, but USN ones are much more manageable, and if the skill is low and equal, will stomp their Japanese counterpart.

If I get another port slot, I might try the Japanese perspective. Right now, though, I just need to drop everything and put 90% of my effort into the Honourable Service mission. This weekend is hard because it skewed the matchmaking towards certain nations and away from others (that I would very much have liked to sink). Perhaps another event down the road will skew it back, and things will also improve when the US cruiser split happens and I have two Tier VIII ships to alternate between.