Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Share with me the game where you finally thought, I get this

4 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,920 battles

Just had to share an experience I had this morning when I finally felt that all this time I'm spent driving dds around came together and all of my instincts were right.

To set the stage: Ranked battle, driving a LoYang, on the map where the A-B cap is nested and the C cap is surrounded by islands.  Had a Benson on the team, so we coordinated in Chat to set up a 2-dd torp wall in the AB cap area.  The Benson let me send in the first torp wave just outside of the cap through the gap and she followed the torps through, sent in a second wave of torps and popped smoke inside the A Cap.  I came in behind hit Hydro, and popped smoke inside the B Cap.  A red BB, cruiser, and dd fell to our torps and guns PLUS we took two CAPs in the first two minutes of the game..  As the game continues, I spot a BB via the mini-map so I go after her, not knowing that she has a cruiser and a dd guarding her that I couldn't see because they were behind an island.  This was my not-so-smart part of the match, my hydro and smoke were on cooldown and I had 30 seconds before my torps were up.  A smart player would have waited, but the BB was at 7.2km and my concealment is 5.8km so I go charging ahead.  I come around the island, these two red ships appear at 5 and 4km away, and I think, oh CRAP, I'm dead.  I'm about ready to fire my guns and go down blazing when I had this moment of inspiration.  I turned hard to starboard and simulated a torp run.  (FYI - a lesson for you players that don't play dds, when you see a destroyer turning hard in a circle and not firing her guns, she's throwing torps at you - we can't hit the 3 key and the 1 at the same time).  Honestly, if I had been in the Benson, I would have believed it...a classic ambush torp run from a LoYang from behind an island that I've died from before.  Needless to say, all three ships started maneuvering away from the imaginary torpedos.  I got my stern pointed at the three ships, got enough gun hits on the Benson to discourage her from following me and got away by only losing half of my HP.

Moral of the story, we won.  I was on the top in points, but more important, I was able to anticipate what the red team was going to do and I beat them to the punch.  Even better, I've struggled with that nested A-B cap map and have lost more times than I've won.  It didn't hurt that the LoYang is one of the most OP ships in Tier VIII Ranked play, although let's not forget that she's a C hull Benson (one of my favorite ships in Random).

Anyhow, I'd like to hear about your stories.  Tell me about your great game where you finally felt like your gameplay went to another level.   

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
730 posts
11,955 battles

Congratulations on the win, and on feeling like things are beginning to click for you as far as anticipating and countering!

I do not recall a particular game where I began to have that feeling. But I imagine it was with a combination of Minekaze and Mutsuki (prior to the IJN DD line split) in destroyers. And that would have been quit a long time ago now. Eventually I began to have that feeling in cruisers and battleships. But my intuition still leads me to make the wrong decision roughly half the time, if my stats are to be believed. I was just beginning to get that feeling in CVs when I stopped playing them in anticipation of CV game-play being re-worked.

May your instincts continue to lead you to victory!

Respects,

Am

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,920 battles
33 minutes ago, Amracil said:

Congratulations on the win, and on feeling like things are beginning to click for you as far as anticipating and countering!

I am humbled that someone with 10,000 battles would respond back.  I'll be honest, I never got good in either the Minekaze or the Mutsuki.  My first fun IJN ship was the Fabuki and I'm having a blast with the Kagero.  She is a stone cold ghost.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
730 posts
11,955 battles
2 minutes ago, AMajor said:

I am humbled that someone with 10,000 battles would respond back.  I'll be honest, I never got good in either the Minekaze or the Mutsuki.  My first fun IJN ship was the Fabuki and I'm having a blast with the Kagero.  She is a stone cold ghost.

Fubuki and Kagero are very fun! If you like the Kagero, I bet you are going to like the Yugumo. I have had some monster games in it and it is a ship I really enjoy playing.  Are you working on the other IJN DD line at all? Akizuki is a lot of fun, though I am really just beginning to get a feel for how to play it. And I understand there will be a T9 and T10 added to that line in the not too distant future that have a similar sort of "gunboat" design.

Respects,

Am

Sign in to follow this