You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wye_So_Serious

Dev Strike & CQE

27 comments in this topic

[LUCK]
Members
1,301 posts
19,563 battles

So last night with secondary build Amagi, a Benson pokes out from an island at about 4km, not advisable IMO, but he did it.

I let loose all main battery guns and target manual seconds. Little Benson went from full health to nothing in seconds. What is surprising to me is I received both Dev Strike and Close Quarters achievements. Wouldn't they be mutually exclusive? How can you get both on that?

[H-W-C]
Members
1,262 posts
3,355 battles

The Benson detonated or your main guns blapped him.

[LUCK]
Members
1,301 posts
19,563 battles
1 minute ago, warpath_33 said:

The Benson detonated or your main guns blapped him.

didn't detonate and if it was main guns it wouldn't be close quarters, but thanks

[KNTI2]
Members
786 posts
4,302 battles

It's possible that it counts the secondaries as firing one "volley" when all guns locked on target have fired and are reloading. Normally secondaries don't apply since you're typically out of range, but if you fired your main battery while the secondaries were still firing, the kill shot would've happened before all of your secondaries reloaded.

[CK5]
Members
803 posts
6,555 battles

The main guns probably did almost all of the damage and your secondaries just finished the Benson off for the Close Quarters achievement. 

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles

Secondaries did the final kill, might only have been one shot from them but enough to kill him, well done.

Members
1,149 posts
3,141 battles

Dev strikes can be "forgiving" at times, like an atlanta two shotting a destroyer and getting dev strike. The secondaries must have counted as part of your "one salvo" and they finished him off. It's happened to me before, but in atago (i know). 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,597 battles
5 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

The main guns probably did almost all of the damage and your secondaries just finished the Benson off for the Close Quarters achievement. 

I think it is this. Otherwise your secondaries may have detonated him.

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles

I was going to say I’ve gotten a dev strike while in a BB instead of double click for full salvo and got a dev strike. I assume it is a timer from the first shell to hit to the killing shells. (A very simplified explanation but it seems to be a simple timer) So your secondaries got the kill within that timer of main battery hitting.

[LUCK]
Members
1,301 posts
19,563 battles
14 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

Dev strikes can be "forgiving" at times, like an atlanta two shotting a destroyer and getting dev strike. The secondaries must have counted as part of your "one salvo" and they finished him off. It's happened to me before, but in atago (i know). 

Thanks all, but I'm inclined to attribute it to this.

It was so close in distance and the DD suddenly appearing,  the 2nds and mains were all one salvo in the games terms. 

[DAY]
Members
1,179 posts
11,719 battles
1 minute ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

It was so close in distance and the DD suddenly appearing,  the 2nds and mains were all one salvo in the games terms. 

can confirm

i have gotten dev strike from shiratsuyu's 5 sec spaced trb torp vollys

also multiple times with 2-shot mino in my des moines

i think it's a like 10s window or something

your 2ndary must have finished him off very soon after your main guns got him down to almost no HP

• Cool 1

Members
2,285 posts
4,107 battles
2 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

There is a time between first hit and death for a dev strike. 

• Cool 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,301 posts
19,563 battles
4 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

can confirm

i have gotten dev strike from shiratsuyu's 5 sec spaced trb torp vollys

also multiple times with 2-shot mino in my des moines

i think it's a like 10s window or something

your 2ndary must have finished him off very soon after your main guns got him down to almost no HP

3 minutes ago, StoneRhino said:

Thank you

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,839 posts
1,327 battles
41 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

didn't detonate and if it was main guns it wouldn't be close quarters, but thanks

Secondary got the final hit for the kill, so Close Quarters, but, his health dropped to 0 from 50%+ so quickly from the whole set of hits that you got Dev Strike as well.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,414 posts
7,427 battles
1 hour ago, StoneRhino said:

It's not from first hit to death... it's time (5 seconds) between first and last shot of the salvo that killed him, and flooding and fire appear to be connected to that salvo as well. If you shoot at a BB who has 80% health and just put out his fires, and you hit him with torpedoes for 30% more damage, and then he floods out the rest of the way... you should get a dev strike out of it. Or at least you used to, they may or may not have changed that over the past couple years.

the 5-second counter is key when it comes to ships like DES MOINES and MINOTAUR, who can put out more than one full salvo of shells in that time.

In the OP's case, the time between the broadside he fired and the secondary shot that killed the BENSON was less than 5 seconds... therefore, dev strike.

[SYN]
Members
549 posts
6,162 battles
3 hours ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

I received both Dev Strike and Close Quarters achievements.

I did that in Pensacola. I got first blood too.  Quite the salvo. 

• Cool 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,301 posts
19,563 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

I did that in Pensacola. I got first blood too.  Quite the salvo. 

That is very cool.

Given that, is there a four for one?

[INTEL]
Members
8,581 posts
25,683 battles
22 hours ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

So last night with secondary build Amagi, a Benson pokes out from an island at about 4km, not advisable IMO, but he did it.

I let loose all main battery guns and target manual seconds. Little Benson went from full health to nothing in seconds. What is surprising to me is I received both Dev Strike and Close Quarters achievements. Wouldn't they be mutually exclusive? How can you get both on that?

If the kill is achieved in a certain period of time, it counts as a dev strike. For example, if you fire your turrets one at a time but quickly within the space of a couple of seconds, you get the dev strike even though your shells did not arrive at the same time. 

Members
2,285 posts
4,107 battles
8 hours ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

It's not from first hit to death... it's time (5 seconds) between first and last shot of the salvo that killed him, and flooding and fire appear to be connected to that salvo as well. If you shoot at a BB who has 80% health and just put out his fires, and you hit him with torpedoes for 30% more damage, and then he floods out the rest of the way... you should get a dev strike out of it. Or at least you used to, they may or may not have changed that over the past couple years.

the 5-second counter is key when it comes to ships like DES MOINES and MINOTAUR, who can put out more than one full salvo of shells in that time.

In the OP's case, the time between the broadside he fired and the secondary shot that killed the BENSON was less than 5 seconds... therefore, dev strike.

Lol, "its not first to death; its first to last shot of the solve that killedthem".

Every hit starts a timer. If from that first hit the target sinks and had more than 50% health it is a Dev strike.

Not the first hit if the game.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,414 posts
7,427 battles

Lol, "its not first to death; its first to last shot of the solve that killedthem".

Every hit starts a timer. If from that first hit the target sinks and had more than 50% health it is a Dev strike.

Not the first hit if the game.

um... no [excrement]?

What gave you the idea that I was saying "first hit of the game?"

And what's up with all the typos when not-actually-quoting what I said?

Members
2,285 posts
4,107 battles
10 hours ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

um... no [excrement]?

What gave you the idea that I was saying "first hit of the game?"

And what's up with all the typos when not-actually-quoting what I said?

Typos = autocorrect 

I just found it funny that you are arguing my statement is wrong the paraphrasing it in your own.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,414 posts
7,427 battles

Typos = autocorrect 

I just found it funny that you are arguing my statement is wrong the paraphrasing it in your own.

I'm not paraphrasing you. you stated that the timer is between the first hit and death, I said that it was between the first and last rounds of the salvo that killed him. Do you understand that those are two very different statements?

First hit to death could be 1 second, could be 3 seconds, could be 60 seconds of fire or flooding later and still be a devastating strike, so long as all that damage happened from the same rounds. There's no timer on that. The timer is on the shots that caused the fatal damage, which must have been all fired within a 5-second span. 

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles
28 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

I'm not paraphrasing you. you stated that the timer is between the first hit and death, I said that it was between the first and last rounds of the salvo that killed him. Do you understand that those are two very different statements?

First hit to death could be 1 second, could be 3 seconds, could be 60 seconds of fire or flooding later and still be a devastating strike, so long as all that damage happened from the same rounds. There's no timer on that. The timer is on the shots that caused the fatal damage, which must have been all fired within a 5-second span. 

Are you sure of this? If you are consistently hitting a target while doing damamge then get a detonation 2/3 health will you get a dev strike? Your argument means yes while @StoneRhino‘s argument means no. I can’t think of any time I’ve had something like this happen but it would settle this if anyone knew. 

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,904 battles

Dev strike includes damage done within a certain timeframe. I hit a BB with 5 torps but couldn't kill him. The flooding killed him within 15 seconds and I got a dev strike.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,414 posts
7,427 battles
37 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

Are you sure of this? If you are consistently hitting a target while doing damamge then get a detonation 2/3 health will you get a dev strike? Your argument means yes while @StoneRhino‘s argument means no. I can’t think of any time I’ve had something like this happen but it would settle this if anyone knew. 

Yes.

Well, sometimes. Maybe.

If the ship was over 50% health when it detonated, then in theory you should get a dev strike out of it, yes, and the person who got blown up should get some quality time with Juliet and Charlie.

See, for instance:

image.thumb.png.4c7f3f3653d6808d3928f634ae4b9111.png

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEy1LKk7ZKc