You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

32 comments in this topic

[TBOW]
Members
211 posts
1,906 battles

Lyon is wayyy to OP. We had a arizona, Colorado, Leander and some destroyer go up against a Lyon. After that battle I (the Arizona) was sunk the Colorado had about 1000 HP remaining after a single hit citadeled it probably 2-3 times. The Leander was sunk and the destroyer unsuccessfully torpedoed it only hitting once or twice. The destroyer itself being halfed in HP. After they finally sunk the Lyon (with its final shots crippling the Colorado) an enemy Colorado came around the corner and that didn’t help matters

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
552 posts
12,006 battles

wasn't this just covered like a week or two ago? It's not OP and has a lot of defects, liking showing broadside to fire its salvos.   It is a fun ship and needs no nerfs at all.

Edited by nagasakee

Members
3,563 posts
6,877 battles
1 minute ago, nagasakee said:

wasn't this just covered like a week or two ago? It's not OP and has a lot of defects, liking showing broadside to fire its salvos.   It is a fun ship and needs no nerfs at all.

Agree. More like an OP captain involved.

• Cool 4

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles
9 minutes ago, embeddeddear97 said:

Lyon is wayyy to OP. We had a arizona, Colorado, Leander and some destroyer go up against a Lyon. After that battle I (the Arizona) was sunk the Colorado had about 1000 HP remaining after a single hit citadeled it probably 2-3 times. The Leander was sunk and the destroyer unsuccessfully torpedoed it only hitting once or twice. The destroyer itself being halfed in HP. After they finally sunk the Lyon (with its final shots crippling the Colorado) an enemy Colorado came around the corner and that didn’t help matters

You would need to put in a replay as the player using the Lyon might be angled correctly to absorb the shots and the BB he was shooting might not have been, it does have 16 guns so that is like your Arizona firing every 22 seconds

Edited by CriMiNaL__

[TDRB]
Members
1,102 posts
4,194 battles

Lyon is wayyy to OP.

It is the skill of the Lyon commander, not the ship, that was overpowering in your encounter.

Members
2,392 posts
7,707 battles

IMO Lyon is a meh ship, the only thing that saves that ship is that Lyon has 16 guns. Its THE shotgun in WoWs.

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
1,102 posts
4,194 battles

Of the T7 BB's the Lyon has the weakest main guns, the lowest HP and the turrets traverse time is measured with a calendar, over 50 seconds to travel 180 degrees and as you said, showing its broadside to bring all guns to bear. It also does not have a spotter plane to extend the gun range.

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
1,102 posts
4,194 battles

We had a arizona, Colorado, Leander and some destroyer go up against a Lyon.

One of the strengths of the Lyon is deleting cruisers. USN 16" shells tears a Lyon apart. A Colorado caught me broadside and erased about 2/3rds of my HP in a single broadside. The ship I was battling administered the coup de gras before the Colorado reloaded.

Beta Testers
405 posts
4,794 battles

Lyon?   I seem to remember sailing a Wyoming and taking on two Kongos singlehandedly.  Lost half my health and sunk both.  Screw the Lyon, Wyoming is OP nerf the hell out of that ship instead.

The point here, other than the situation being slightly comical, is that when you don't know how to fight and take on someone who is skilled or lucky, you get handed your butt.  Spend a lot more time at the lower tiers so you can learn the finer points of fighting in a US battleship, get a few thousand matches under your belt and then you can ROFL-stomp that player in the OP Lyon.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,632 posts
9,035 battles

When played well the Lyon wrecks face but on the flip side when not played well you are back in port

[INTEL]
Members
6,662 posts
25,738 battles

Ah, seems to be confused between an OP ship and an OP driver. There is a difference.

• Cool 1

Members
1,642 posts
2,152 battles

You must've been doin it wrong. With heavily armored BBs like the Arizona and Colorado, if you would've angled correctly the Lyon would have a lot of trouble scoring big hits on you. It has a lot of guns but they're still only 14". A few weeks back, I easily destroyed a full hp Lyon in my half hp Colorado by staying angled. At the same time, the Lyon's crappy armor won't hold up well against other BB guns and one that is showing it's broadside can almost get deleted. 

Edited by Edselman

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
344 posts
3,704 battles

Using this logic my conclusion is ALL the ships in this game are OP.

[RKLES]
Members
7,210 posts
8,983 battles

Lyon puts pretty much all of it’s effectiveness into its guns, with only some armor and reasonable speed. It lacks Catapult aircraft and hydro. Honestly while I can use it effectively, it is also one of my favorite ships to snack on for its HP and kill since any of my other ships can usually punch through its armor. When using my DDs they are a lot of fun since without Hydro or Catapult aircraft the Lyon is very vulnerable to my incoming torpedoes far too often.

Also Lyon Firing 16 shells and it’s dispersion means that often you will see a Lyon get 1 or even no hits out of 16 shells fired. Of course it can sometimes get a large number of hits as well, the gun accuracy does play a factor in balancing the ship.

So while Lyon does have it's strong points, it does have enough weaknesses to balance out.

[RKLES]
Members
7,210 posts
8,983 battles
26 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Ah, seems to be confused between an OP ship and an OP driver. There is a difference.

So true 

[ARGSY]
Members
6,312 posts
4,256 battles
1 hour ago, embeddeddear97 said:

Lyon is wayyy to OP. 

So grind up to it and make use of the fact!

[POP]
Beta Testers
289 posts
10,505 battles

Seems nowadays that everyone just loves sailing broadside, and when the paddling occurs well ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, OP accusations start to fly.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,854 posts
10,641 battles
1 hour ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Agree. More like an OP captain involved.

This. Lyon is great but hardly OP.

Members
3,563 posts
6,877 battles

Lyon is one of my favourite ships--57% WR over 99 battles which is quite good by my own modest standards. I use the gift captain who is now up to 16-pt and Lyon is a ship where that makes a difference.

But on a more basic level firing 16 gun broadsides is addictive. ;)

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,585 posts
25,702 battles
15 hours ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Lyon is one of my favourite ships--57% WR over 99 battles which is quite good by my own modest standards. I use the gift captain who is now up to 16-pt and Lyon is a ship where that makes a difference.

But on a more basic level firing 16 gun broadsides is addictive. ;)

oh hell yeah. That ship is so much fun to play.

• Cool 1

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,391 posts
5,086 battles

I didn't actually like Lyon that much. It is a good tier VII, but I don't really enjoy the shotgun playstyle. I haven't had any issues dealing with Lyons when they turn up.

[HCH]
[HCH]
Beta Testers
877 posts
7,240 battles

<---- *whenever I see a Lyon go broadside to use all of its guns*

Edited by sulghunter331

[BTH]
Beta Testers
198 posts
4,666 battles

Not to hijack, but can anyone comment on what the 4th equipment slot should be? Rudder shift or Damage Repair?