You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SU_Whisperer

Is there a DD line that is maneuverable?

19 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
803 battles

I used to have fun in DDs, but now I am not since I played the Podvoisky, which I think is simply not fun to play, because one TB squadron is too much for the maneuverability and you'll always end up eating a torp or two. I completely hate how bad the maneuverability is on high tier DDs, it seems like there's no fun, 700m Turning radius is a bitter joke, but what's worse, it's that all high tier DDs have that kind of Turning radius, I simply can't play anymore DDs with that turning radius, I think I will stay at low tiers, enjoying real maneuverability. However, do you guys knows a DD line that is maneuverable all the way to tier 10?

Edited by SU_Whisperer

[ICBM]
Members
335 posts
5,098 battles

US dds are very maneuverable. I believe japanese are too, although I've never played them. Upper tier Pan asian are similar to US in maneuverablility. Germans I think are a little less so. Russian DDs turn like cruisers at higher tiers. Gnevny and Minsk aren't terrible, better than podvoisky, but they aren't exactly nimble. 

With that being said, the only RU dd that I struggle to dodge torps in is the Khabarovsk and sometimes Tashkent (tier X and IX, respectively).  Speed is key. Lure the torpedo bombers with high speed, then cut to revers and make a hard turn will work sometimes. Also, always turn into torpedo bombers when they get within 3-4km or so. that gives you a head start on the turn. Another tactic on russian DDs is to turn away from the torpedo bombers and activate your speed boost. You can actually outrun CV torpedos in almosts all russian DDs. (I think gnevny may be too slow, but Gnevny can dodge them pretty well. Podvoisky should definitely be able to do this. 

Podvoisky is a tier V monster. Those guns and that speed are just insane. If you can learn how to make russian dds work they are an absolute joy to play. 

If you like being sneaky and manueverable, though, stop with the RU dd's and go over to another line now, because Podvoisky is exactly like the upper tier RU dds. 

Best of luck!

• Cool 2

Members
4 posts
803 battles
23 minutes ago, mrieder79 said:

US dds are very maneuverable. I believe japanese are too, although I've never played them. Upper tier Pan asian are similar to US in maneuverablility.

I tried Longjiang and it might be my favorite DD up to now.

• Cool 1

Members
4,825 posts
5,596 battles
5 hours ago, mrieder79 said:

I believe japanese are too,

IJN DDs have quick rudders, but they have reatively large turning circles and they bleed a ton of speed in a turn. They're certainly more maneuverable than some other DD lines, but I wouldn't label them as such.

Edit: To put it in perspective, mid to high tier IJN DDs have the same turning circle as mid tier USN BBs. Akizuki is the worst of the bunch with a 730m turning circle. USN DDs hover around the mid 500s for turning circles, and the KM DDs are roughly on par with IJN DDs.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,965 battles

IJN DDs also can't afford to maneuver that much because of lousy turret rotation (unless you're just fleeing and not trying to engage), so yeah the USN are the only really maneuverable line at the moment.

• Cool 1

[SF-A]
Members
2,895 posts
5,707 battles

@SU_Whisperer

American DDs are probably what you're after. They have good rudder shift, great smoke, and potentially DFAA, which all help deal with CVs.

• Cool 2

[-BSS-]
Members
395 posts
6,282 battles

Agree that US DD are best combo of guns and maneuvering 

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,454 posts
11,762 battles

USN DESTROYERS are speedy and nimble.

Pan Asians get that way after tier 5.

Russians Kiev, Trashcan are good with just the first rudder module.

They have nerfed Khabba to the point that it requires both rudder modules, thus giving up any hope of being stealthy.

Members
4 posts
803 battles

Thanks yall ! I will try both USN and Pan-Asia, Pan-Asia DDs are fantastic ! Really love them, looking forward the USN

Edited by SU_Whisperer
  • Cool 1

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,795 battles
9 hours ago, SU_Whisperer said:

I used to have fun in DDs, but now I am not since I played the Podvoisky, which I think is simply not fun to play, because one TB squadron is too much for the maneuverability and you'll always end up eating a torp or two. I completely hate how bad the maneuverability is on high tier DDs, it seems like there's no fun, 700m Turning radius is a bitter joke, but what's worse, it's that all high tier DDs have that kind of Turning radius, I simply can't play anymore DDs with that turning radius, I think I will stay at low tiers, enjoying real maneuverability. However, do you guys knows a DD line that is maneuverable all the way to tier 10?

If you are getting torped by TB's in the Podvoisky you are doing it wrong. I'm the #1 player on the server in it and have never in over 100 battles in it been torped by aerial torpedos. If you have voice coms look me up in game and I can talk you through how to piss off CV's with such an easy WASD hack a caveman could do it.

360 posts
194 battles

Adding another vote for USN as most maneuverable, and the bonus is that in addition to being able to drop the torpedo beats, you have the turret rotation to be a highly effective knife-fighter when facing other DDs.

[SEC_8]
Members
145 posts
3,553 battles

Just beware if you go the US line, you are also the slowest.  Other dd's will be able to hunt you down and catch up to you...

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

USN DD for sure. Their rapid fire guns with fast turret traverse and their small turning circle and fast rudders makes them the most agile and comfortable of all the DD lines. Just be aware that their guns at long range go into orbit and sorta stay there for a while. But when it comes to engaging other DDs at their mutual concealment ranges (between 5.5 and 6.2 at high tiers), they can absolutely murder any other DD other than a German DD with both Hydro and Smoke available for use.

Members
326 posts
328 battles

If you want to turn on a dime, RN DDs are tour choice. Actually that means Gallant, Vampire, and the Panasian tiers III, V and VII .

1,542 posts
26 battles
On 06/05/2018 at 1:55 PM, Visidious said:

Agree that US DD are best combo of guns and maneuvering 

Definitely agree here :Smile_great:USN and Pan-Asian Destroyers are the best movers and shakers. Have fun OP! 

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,600 battles
On 5/6/2018 at 6:48 AM, GhostSwordsman said:

Akizuki is the worst of the bunch with a 730m turning circle. 

But Akizuki is a freak. Most cruisers can out run her, and she's amazingly sluggish at the helm. She's fun, but she's a freak and doesn't really represent the line well.

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,600 battles

As far as maneuverability goes, I'd say...

1. USN

2. IJN & Brits

3. Germans

4. Russians

Now, I didn't go to T10 with the Russians, and I haven't tried the PADDs yet. But I have run to T10 in USN, IJN and KM. I honestly think the best responding ship in the game, from T6 up, is the Sims. (Lots of things can turn on a dime below T6.)

My experience is that the USN respond to their helm best and have tight turning circles. IJN and RN respond to their helm very well, but their turning circle is a bit broader than would be desired at times. But if you're dodging enemy shells, who cares how big your turning circle is? The Germans can dodge shells, but are a lot less adept at doing so. I didn't play the Russians long enough to get past "sluggish" as the best way to describe their movements.

Members
603 posts
7,095 battles

need to break down what makes a ship with good maneuverability.

imo you need (speed) + (rudder respone) + (turning circle)

USN overall has the best overall maneuverbility imo. while their average speed is not that much better than IJN's, and rudder time is more or less the same. their turning circle is pretty good.

IJN is alright overall, they do tend to bleed a lot of speed when turning (might due to their narrow hull)

German overall has better speed than USN / IJN. but worse rudder than USN / IJN.

Russian is all about straight line speed...like a drag car. their rudder in general is pretty slow and turning circle is not good either.

Pan asian as a line is a mix of US, Russian, Brit, and IJN ship...so it really depends.

that being said. I'll say USN is a good pick as they are good in 2/3 of what makes good maneuverability ship.

[SPTR]
Members
25,793 posts
11,097 battles

US DDs are the way to go my rudder specced gearing versed a moskva in a gunfight when he radar'd me in smoke and I dodge his railguns and peppered him to death.