You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

Shoutout To Fellow Future Khabarovsk Captains

9 comments in this topic

[STW-M]
Members
2,051 posts
5,861 battles

I've only realized a few days ago just how much of a joy playing the Russia dd line is (currently Minsk); it's like a salve for whenever I get salty.

After playing tier 2-4 as a torpedo boat and getting slaughtered, I finally found that the proper way to play Russian dd's is to keep your guns blazing 24/7, concealment be damned. Considering how much concealment matters to other dd lines like the USN or IJN, this change of pace is most welcoming.

Destroyers? Laugh as you slaughter them from 11 km away with rapid-fire HE while gracefully dodging their return fire

Cruisers? Dance with them from near max range, watch as normal dd hunters like Clevelands and Atlantas rage from being unable to hit or torpedo you effectively as you drive them mad with constant HE spam or drill them apart with AP whenever they show broadisde.

Battleships? Chuckle as their shells splash down just behind you since you're going far too fast for them to hit you while you slowly burn them down (or, if circumstances permit, ambush them from 4 km and torpedo them with your ultra-fast torpedoes)

Carriers? Turn up the music and laugh as you dodge cross-drop after cross-drop.

1CD602DAC421ECF641B8360A71E1E7F7D5F71FBF

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,250 posts
8,868 battles

While I am glad you're enjoying the line and having fun, it's not all wine and roses :cap_cool:.

You're generally going to find that peoples aim improves at higher tier....and radar. That being said, I don't bother with concealment either, at least with Khabarovsk. It's not needed. One thing to remember, hang onto those detonation flags, it sucks(and the cost also) to detonate in a Khab. It can and will happen as you are constantly visible(lots of incoming fire).

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
2 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

I've only realized a few days ago just how much of a joy playing the Russia dd line is (currently Minsk); it's like a salve for whenever I get salty.

After playing tier 2-4 as a torpedo boat and getting slaughtered, I finally found that the proper way to play Russian dd's is to keep your guns blazing 24/7, concealment be damned. Considering how much concealment matters to other dd lines like the USN or IJN, this change of pace is most welcoming.

Destroyers? Laugh as you slaughter them from 11 km away with rapid-fire HE while gracefully dodging their return fire

Cruisers? Dance with them from near max range, watch as normal dd hunters like Clevelands and Atlantas rage from being unable to hit or torpedo you effectively as you drive them mad with constant HE spam or drill them apart with AP whenever they show broadisde.

Battleships? Chuckle as their shells splash down just behind you since you're going far too fast for them to hit you while you slowly burn them down (or, if circumstances permit, ambush them from 4 km and torpedo them with your ultra-fast torpedoes)

Carriers? Turn up the music and laugh as you dodge cross-drop after cross-drop.

Honestly, if carriers are having a hard time hitting you in a DD as fast as the Minsk, they're not good CV carriers.  Very fast DDs are nice for avoiding hits from enemy guns, but no DD can out run a carrier plane.  And worse, your great speed is actually a negative when it come to avoiding torpedoes, because you have so much inertia from your great speed that you just can't slow down and dodge a spread of torps easily, if at all.  Slower DDs (and I really mean sub-40 kts) tend to dodge torps better than high speed DDs in my experience.

Regardless, the Russian DDs can indeed be a joy to play, particularly once you get to a high enough tier that your turrets finally turn fast enough to keep up with your maneuvering.

• Cool 1

[STW-M]
Members
2,051 posts
5,861 battles
22 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, if carriers are having a hard time hitting you in a DD as fast as the Minsk, they're not good CV carriers.  Very fast DDs are nice for avoiding hits from enemy guns, but no DD can out run a carrier plane.  And worse, your great speed is actually a negative when it come to avoiding torpedoes, because you have so much inertia from your great speed that you just can't slow down and dodge a spread of torps easily, if at all.  Slower DDs (and I really mean sub-40 kts) tend to dodge torps better than high speed DDs in my experience.

Regardless, the Russian DDs can indeed be a joy to play, particularly once you get to a high enough tier that your turrets finally turn fast enough to keep up with your maneuvering.

Bah, killjoy:Smile-_tongue:

[-GPS-]
Members
2,536 posts
25,018 battles

I play DDs a lot and have fun with most of the Russians but there are some real turds in that tech tree. Tashkent has never appealed to me.  Ognevoi is good at some things but is my least favorite Tier 8 DD. Minsk is a Leningrad ... with stupidly short range torpedoes. Gnevny used to be one of my favorites when it was Tier 5 and had a 2.2 km stealth firing window, but at Tier 6 I almost never play it. 

As Crucis said, Russian DDs often are the easiest targets for CV torpedo bombers. They go fast but they are long and turn poorly.  

OTOH Leningrad and Kiev are a blast. Udaloi is consistently fun, and Khabarovsk is the only ship that I play better when I’m angry. Sometimes I sit down and decide to play only Russian DDs. 

Edited by Landing_Skipper
  • Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

your great speed is actually a negative when it come to avoiding torpedoes, because you have so much inertia from your great speed that you just can't slow down and dodge a spread of torps easily, if at all. 

Absolutely true. Many dd players forget this - hit boost when near red dds and whamo... deadski. It can also cost you IF you stick to relatively straight or gently curving paths. If i'm firing on a Khab at speed, I spread my shots out. A spotter plane working on a Khab helps immensely in this regard. 

[ICBM]
Members
335 posts
5,079 battles

Russian DDs can outrun CV torpedos. So you have a choice to turn in or turn away. Often times I will dodge CV torps by popping speed boost and outrunning them. Things get harder if they cross torp, but it can be done. 

As far as aim improving with higher tiers, yes and no. In ranked, it is hard. Most people can hit my Khab pretty well. In random, not so much. Hindenburg captains can hit me consistently about 50% of the time. Moskva, about the same. For some reason I haven't had many Zao captains in random that could hit me. All other cruisers, forget it unless I'm too close. BBs too. Not many BB captains in random hit me (this is when I stay at about 11.5 km and further. closer is a different story). In ranked, this all goes out the window. You gotta stay waaaay back in ranked. 

But that's only khab. In tashkent, you got 15km of range, so that's a really hard shot to make. Kiev is same 14km range with smaller profile and better rudder shift. Minsk? Are you kidding me? that thing is even smaller and just as fast. Really hard target to nail at 13-14 km. There are captains who can do it, but you won't meet them very often in random. If you do, just go somewhere else. 

Ru dds are very strong when played properly. You're gonna love it. But if you ever try ranked, you will have to adapt to a more cautious role. They can be good in ranked and clan, but you have to play differently than in random. 

[AAA]
Members
427 posts
5,431 battles

Well this is nice but Russia has no dds. They have super light cruisers

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,330 battles

Shoutout to other Khaba captains.  But I hate running into you in my Khaba.  

When I get into a Khaba duel we end up blowing each other to bits when I could be doing better things like killing DDs and pestering the heck out of BBs.