Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

11 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
4,735 battles

I'm having a bad ranked season and the attached screenshot of the team matchmaking is one of the major reasons why. My understanding is that a player's rank determines his/her skill, so why the heck would matchmaking put five rank 10 players together vs a team with only one rank 10? The other team is ridiculously stacked so no wonder we got steamrolled. This isn't the first time, as I'm mostly on the team that gets steamrolled with the occasional lucky placement onto a team that does the steamrolling. I'd rather just have a nicely balanced and fun match of two teams of equal skill.

Why can't MM evenly distribute rank levels between teams???

shot-18_05.06_01_46.31-0030.thumb.jpg.fd6f88f6a57aa279d5b5a3edd347a25e.jpg

[SALVO]
Members
17,060 posts
17,716 battles

Actually, I'd say that the MM looks OK.  Both teams have 1 Hurricane league clan player, and 1 Typhoon league clan player.  Both teams have a no-clan player.  The ranks within a rank league don't seem like that big a deal to me, because some players are more into pushing up through the ranks than others, and that's not really a measure of talent.  Just willingness to put in more time into the grind.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
1,767 posts
10,138 battles
7 minutes ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

Rank does not imply skill in the slightest

QFT

Case in point: I've ranked out twice.  100 per cent chance, not skill.  

Members
3 posts
4,735 battles

Thanks for the response. I believe the clan rank is not a very accurate measure of player skill either because not every player in the clan participates in the clan battles. I know I haven't. How does one "push up through the ranks" as you say? I'm trying but these ridiculous teams are keeping me down.

I don't know if it's because I'm so frustrated that I'm looking for trends that aren't really there but the same thing happened to me in the follow-up match to the above. See below of another example of player rank on a team being a good predictor of the victorious team.

shot-18_05.06_02_13.49-0647.thumb.jpg.03e71bee3eb61e3a489a2410fd987399.jpg

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles

Rank is but a number, some people take 10 wins to get to rank 10 other take 100, if you grind it enough you will make it to rank 1

1 minute ago, DJRIDONKULUS said:

I believe the clan rank is not a very accurate measure

Depends on the clan, if you see 07, ZR, OPG, to name a few, just hope they're on your team. There is a reason why these clan people have 65% + WR.

[SALVO]
Members
17,060 posts
17,716 battles
9 minutes ago, DJRIDONKULUS said:

Thanks for the response. I believe the clan rank is not a very accurate measure of player skill either because not every player in the clan participates in the clan battles. I know I haven't. How does one "push up through the ranks" as you say? I'm trying but these ridiculous teams are keeping me down.

I don't know if it's because I'm so frustrated that I'm looking for trends that aren't really there but the same thing happened to me in the follow-up match to the above. See below of another example of player rank on a team being a good predictor of the victorious team.

I have to disagree with you on clan rank as a measure of skill.  I don't you're going to see many potatoes in any Hurricane League clan.  Their entry standards are usually too high for even a player like myself.  And while I suppose that Typhoon league clans may have a few potatoes in them, I'd still look membership in a Typhoon or Hurricane league clan as a better measure of skill than whatever rank you are within a rank league.  I see a hurricane league clan guy, I'm going to assume that he's a unicum or close to it.  I see a typhoon league player, I'm going to assume that he's pretty good, possibly above average or even a unicum, but could be merely average.  Still, probably better than a clanless player or a squall league player.  It's not a perfect measure, but it's better than nothing.  And you don't even know what CB's league they were in prior to the battle, though some of the unicum clans are well known enough that some players will recognize their clan tags, like ZR and OPG and APOC, etc.

[KNTAI]
Members
173 posts
4,912 battles

Judging from your results screenies, I've seen worse. I've had games where there were two hurricane players on the opposing side and I was the only Typhoon player, with everyone else being either Squalls, clan rankless, or clanless.

...so that probably explains why I topped the scoreboard at the end of the day during those losses.

[1NJS]
Members
15 posts
1,487 battles

How can they rank players based on skill when  the win loss ratio is capped and rng is in affect(Btw doesnt RNG take skill away for the most part?) If the devs want ranked about skill they should kill off The rng affect in ranked battles. Furthermore how is one supposed to progress when  they may win 1 game and loose 3 ? Just my humble opinion.

[ODIN]
[ODIN]
Members
456 posts
13,323 battles

I've actually looked up the stats of every player in a ranked game I lost brutally last season. If WR, average damage, and average experience per battle are any indication of a players ability, it was very one sided.

I don't mean to be one of those "stat guys" but I do believe they can reveal a lot. You also have to consider what the player did during the game as well though. For example, a battleship heading toward the back of the map with low scores is probably not a good player, camping in the back and contributing little.

[5D5]
Members
2,286 posts
14,345 battles

The MM groups players in a match based on their current ranks. So you got players that were in the 6-10 range.

Using their actual rank as a default skill assessment is plain wrong. A guy at rank 10 could have started later than someone currently at rank 7.

Sign in to follow this