Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

still confused on how damage is scored

8 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
1,119 posts
4,244 battles

When I think I have somewhat of an idea about causing damage something happens in game to make me question whats going on.

Are citadels included in your hit total or are they counted separate?

As I understand it the maximum amount of damage you can do is limit by the HP's remaining on your target. A ship with 1000 HP left will only score a maximum of 1000 damage points regardless of the maximum damage a shell/torpedo/bomb can do. Is this correct?

I watched the videos & read several posts about scoring citadels. They talked about where to aim to increase your chances. I fire at a cruiser that turned at the same time I shot. I watched the shells. One bounced off the end of the stern but I receive a citadel . All the others were behind the ship.

I fire a broadside & hit the broadside of the targeted ship. It shows several hits, 3 pins but I score zero damage.

My friends & I Skype when we are playing. To their knowledge they have never had a pin without scoring damage.

[H-W-C]
Members
1,262 posts
3,355 battles

Citadels, fire, flooding, anything that does damage is counted towards your damage total. And yes, a ship with 1000 hp left will only add a maximum of 1000 damage points.

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,316 battles
15 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Are citadels included in your hit total or are they counted separate?

This is the only one I'm not sure about. All I know is that I've gotten citadels before without any shell hit ribbons.

As I understand it the maximum amount of damage you can do is limit by the HP's remaining on your target. A ship with 1000 HP left will only score a maximum of 1000 damage points regardless of the maximum damage a shell/torpedo/bomb can do. Is this correct?

Yes.

I watched the videos & read several posts about scoring citadels. They talked about where to aim to increase your chances. I fire at a cruiser that turned at the same time I shot. I watched the shells. One bounced off the end of the stern but I receive a citadel . All the others were behind the ship.

In-game rendering isn't always accurate, there's lots of lag going on, on the players' side as well as from the server. It's also possible that one of your shells plunged through the deck of the enemy ship, or that it traveled the entire length of the ship from the stern into the citadel (I think the russian cruisers are kinda known for having this happen to them).

I fire a broadside & hit the broadside of the targeted ship. It shows several hits, 3 pins but I score zero damage.

On many ships the citadel has a turtleback or is actually under water. This can actually make it very hard to hit at close range, even when they give you full broadside. You could also just get very unlucky.

My friends & I Skype when we are playing. To their knowledge they have never had a pin without scoring damage.

This should clear up any confusion you might have. I'm pretty sure this video is still more-or-less up to date.

Edited by senseNOTmade
  • Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
245 posts
4,379 battles
25 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

As most of the rest has already been covered, I'll cover this.  0 damage pens occur a lot and generally happen when you penetrate and damage a module without disabling or destroying it.  This mainly happens on main gun turrets as they have the highest overall module health pool.  0 damage pens are very frustrating!

Edit:  I'm referring to 0 damage AP pens here.

Edited by real_icebeast
  • Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
1,119 posts
4,244 battles

As most of the rest has already been covered, I'll cover this.  0 damage pens occur a lot and generally happen when you penetrate and damage a module without disabling or destroying it.  This mainly happens on main gun turrets as they have the highest overall module health pool.  0 damage pens are very frustrating!

Thanks. Yes, pins with zero damage are frustrating Especially when you are trying to raise your play level.

[TDRB]
Members
1,119 posts
4,244 battles

This should clear up any confusion you might have. I'm pretty sure this video is still more-or-less up to date.

Thanks, this video cleared up what I missed in the "How it Works" video on damage.

[SPF]
Members
96 posts
9,441 battles
26 minutes ago, real_icebeast said:

Edit:  I'm referring to 0 damage AP pens here.

OP have a good read of this article:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration

edited, sorry didnt take into account saturation mechanics 

Edited by _Kaiser_Sose_
made a wrong claim

[LOU1]
Members
3,063 posts
8,155 battles

"Pen" or "pens" is short for "penetration" or "penetrations".

Just throwing that out there...

Edited by ExploratorOne

Sign in to follow this