You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

18 comments in this topic

Members
1,866 posts

I know this boat has been offered on the EU, but this is it's first trip to the premium shop here. At the end of WW2, the surviving German cruiser Nurnberg was given to Russia as war reparations. Then it was renamed, Admiral Markarov. So this is Nurnberg, with a different AA suite and worse hydro. Not very exciting, is it? As a Russian captain trainer it's OK I guess, but there are other T6 premium cruisers that are somewhat better. If you want Nurnberg, play the original and advance. They structured the 10pt captain missions to encourage people to buy this, since they're tier 6 minimum.

• Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,156 posts
17,832 battles

The Admiral Makarov was actually available in the tech tree last Christmas, at a significant discount (like all prem ships on sale in the tech tree).

As for the ship, it doesn't excite me much, since I already have the Molotov, as well as the Murmansk and Kutuzov.  But I can understand why some might want her.  Like you said, she's just a Nurnberg flying a Soviet flag, so yes, she is a trainer for Russian captains.  And perhaps in some ways, perhaps she's a fairly good ship for it because she's a light cruiser, rather than a (sorta) heavy cruiser like the Molotov.  But whether it's a ship one wants to buy is entirely a personal choice.

Members
2,434 posts
7,746 battles

Well, its a C-hull Nurnberg. Sligltly better AA, worse hydro. Thats all. Nurmehg is a meh ship, so its the Mehkarov. 

[PVE]
Members
5,700 posts
18,273 battles
4 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The Admiral Makarov was actually available in the tech tree last Christmas, at a significant discount (like all prem ships on sale in the tech tree).

This is when I bought the ship, actually I bought most of what was available on the tech tree because I had a huge surplus of doubloons from the Halloween event. For a cruiser it really has nothing going for it, other than being a premium ship. It isn't remarkable and if you own the Murmansk, Molotov, and Kutuzov then you most definitely don't want the Makarov. If they offered the ship for around $3.50 it would be an ok price for it, otherwise save your money. 

[SIM]
Members
2,553 posts
4,194 battles

It’s a Soviet premium with German HE penetration and a novel 360 degree firing arc for its rear turrets. Yes, it’s a Nurnburg under a Soviet ensign. It’s not the damage hose that is Kutuzov, but it’s not a bad ship. I’d take it over Murmansk and Krasny Krym, personally.

[RLGN]
Members
8,309 posts
17,372 battles
43 minutes ago, Crucis said:

As for the ship, it doesn't excite me much, since I already have the Molotov, as well as the Murmansk and Kutuzov.  But I can understand why some might want her.  Like you said, she's just a Nurnberg flying a Soviet flag, so yes, she is a trainer for Russian captains.  And perhaps in some ways, perhaps she's a fairly good ship for it because she's a light cruiser, rather than a (sorta) heavy cruiser like the Molotov.  But whether it's a ship one wants to buy is entirely a personal choice.

That’s when/why I bought it; especially since a tree purchase meant I didn’t need to get another captain I didn’t need.

Crusis, you already know how I feel about those other premiums, but my like of Konigsburg transferred to Nurnburg when I finally got it, so of course Makarov was an easy fit. Used it for the 500 hits part of the RU mission.

[INTEL]
Members
812 posts
8,362 battles

I quite like the Mak, but then I'm a fan of the Nurnberg. My fav use is rotating it with the Budy to grind elite capt xp in ops. 6 sec reload, long range, good torps, great german ap, useable aa... it wrecks bots in raptor and aegis in particular.

[SALVO]
Members
17,156 posts
17,832 battles
4 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

That’s when/why I bought it; especially since a tree purchase meant I didn’t need to get another captain I didn’t need.

Crusis, you already know how I feel about those other premiums, but my like of Konigsburg transferred to Nurnburg when I finally got it, so of course Makarov was an easy fit. Used it for the 500 hits part of the RU mission.

I wish that the devs would come up with a tier 5 premium German cruiser based on the Konigsberg.  I'd probably be all over there in a heartbeat.  I loved the K-berg.  The N-berg, not as much, but mostly because it felt like its guns were no different from the K-berg, but had to face slightly higher tier MM than the K-berg.  It'd have to be the Koln, since the other ship in the 3 ship class was Karlsruhe, which is obviously already used in game.

I don't know that the Koln did anything of great note, but I think that if they wanted to add a tier 5 cruiser, she'd be a good option.

[RLGN]
Members
8,309 posts
17,372 battles
19 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I wish that the devs would come up with a tier 5 premium German cruiser based on the Konigsberg.  I'd probably be all over there in a heartbeat.  I loved the K-berg.  The N-berg, not as much, but mostly because it felt like its guns were no different from the K-berg, but had to face slightly higher tier MM than the K-berg.

For reasons I’ve often espoused, I’m not a fan of high tier games; but I’ve seriously been edging towards getting Roon, (I recently purchased Yorck...) because it’s set up like Konigsburg, (and Nurn, and Mac...) all ships I like...

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[PVE]
Members
5,700 posts
18,273 battles
23 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I wish that the devs would come up with a tier 5 premium German cruiser based on the Konigsberg.  I'd probably be all over there in a heartbeat.  I loved the K-berg.  The N-berg, not as much, but mostly because it felt like its guns were no different from the K-berg, but had to face slightly higher tier MM than the K-berg.  It'd have to be the Koln, since the other ship in the 3 ship class was Karlsruhe, which is obviously already used in game.

I don't know that the Koln did anything of great note, but I think that if they wanted to add a tier 5 cruiser, she'd be a good option.

I remember grinding the German cruiser line fondly. Each ship felt better than the last, they made sense to me. I liked them all, heck have even kept the Dresden and Kolberg after all this time, the Kol because I got my first Kraken in her. I sold my tier 4, 5, 6, and 7 ships because I had gotten smart and was moving my captain up each time. That fondness is what pushed me to buy Makarov. I don't remember the ship to be as bad as the Russian but lawd it stinks or I just forgot how to play her. I would like to see a premium German cruiser around tier 5 or 6. The Graf is ok, but really not a very cruiser-y cruiser. She plays more like a BB IMHO. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[SANK]
Members
127 posts
4,844 battles

I guess I will buck the system on this and tell you that I love the ship. Funny enough, I had loved the Nurnberg and was going to keep it until I got the Makarov in a xmas crate.

I can pretty regularly get 60K+ dmg out of that little row boat. It really excels at kiting. I like it's rate of fire, and it starts plenty of fires. The 360 degree traverse helps keeping up DPS,as you can wiggly your behind and not have to worry about the turrets keeping up. It is by no means a front line ship, I like to let other ships grab agro and then unload. If I get agro, I turn tail and dodge until I get concealment back. Rinse and repeat.

Angle of fire allows sitting behind islands, though I don't do that much. The angle also requires a little extra lead at range.

Like all cruisers, this ship handles well, but don't get sloppy and go broadside,as you can be deleted in a heartbeat. The traverse once again helps staying off broadside because you don't have to worry about switching sides to fire.

Torpedoes are pretty much useless, as you don't want to get close enough to use them, but can provide area denial against DDs who are trying to chase you down.

I use DF instead of hydro, as I tend to get into trouble more with planes than DDs.

Is this ship for everybody? Obviously not, but it seemed to work well with my play style. Once you get used to how it works, you can make this pretty lady sing.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,193 posts
11,707 battles

I'd like to have one, but I won't pay for it.  Clone premiums are exactly the ones I would offer for campaign bait.

Edited by crzyhawk

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

For reasons I’ve often espoused, I’m not a fan of high tier games; but I’ve seriously been edging towards getting Roon, (I recently purchased Yorck...) because it’s set up like Konigsburg, (and Nurn, and Mac...) all ships I like...

Roon=god’s weapon, you will enjoy it, good luck!

[ARRGG]
Members
163 posts
7,041 battles

With this ship, you do know what it performance will be like. I will not pay money for it.

I won the Varvag and I see WG having it for sale, waiting for suckers to buy.

• Cool 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles

bump

[ARGSY]
Members
6,455 posts
4,321 battles
13 hours ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

I know this boat has been offered on the EU, but this is it's first trip to the premium shop here. At the end of WW2, the surviving German cruiser Nurnberg was given to Russia as war reparations. Then it was renamed, Admiral Markarov. So this is Nurnberg, with a different AA suite and worse hydro. Not very exciting, is it? As a Russian captain trainer it's OK I guess, but there are other T6 premium cruisers that are somewhat better. If you want Nurnberg, play the original and advance. They structured the 10pt captain missions to encourage people to buy this, since they're tier 6 minimum.

It all depends on whether you're paying for the weapon system or the history, doesn't it? Although as others have said, if you like Nurnberg and you have a need for a mid-tier Soviet premium, she fills it.

[OPG]
Members
3,983 posts
5,722 battles

I really like the Makarov.  Very good DPM, 360 turret traverse is great and because it doesn't need IFHE it works with my 19 point Moskva captain.