You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Popeye444

Old Navy Retired Guy Needs Some Help

17 comments in this topic

Members
13 posts
9,608 battles

I used the word "old" so you can put my question into context. Background: Navy, 1966, Vietnam to start...26 years later retired Commander.

I have crossed the equator so many times I get frequent emails from Davy Jones!  

Enough [edited]. Just a simple question? Looked on the forum but tough to find the answer.

I'm 74, so "simply" explain what Divisions and Clans are all about.

I play Aces High so used to the squadron concept, so would enjoy the same thing in here.

BTW, served on five DD/DDG/FF type ships and really are the best of the best. But in this cartoon game extremely over molded.

• Cool 4

Members
1,936 posts

A division is joining one or two players to participate in random battles, coop, scenarios.

A clan is a permanent grouping of players, who can participate in clan battles, and have access to clan resources that give discounts and bonuses to random battles.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,414 posts
7,427 battles

Hey, CDR.

Okay, Divisions. You know back in the day, you'd have DESDIV as the basic 3 or 4-ship unit? Then 2-3 DESDIVs for a DESRON?

Same idea here. A Division is where you get up to three people together to play. Ideally, you're going to have voice comms, through an outside service.

Clans are a holdover from... I don't even remember what game it was, at first. It was likely something like Warcraft, back in the late 90's, though. Players would form "clans," which was a term that made sense in the milieu of that game, playing as a team or association or something.

Then the next game came along, whatever it was, and people expanded out to other things, but the term "clan" just stuck. Basically it's simply a team of people who play an online game together.

v/r ex-LT, USN, Surface Warfare

[ICE9]
Members
815 posts

If you've played RPG's like Everquest, Division=Adventuring group, Clan=Guild. That's the best quick-and dirty example I can give.

And by the way, thank you for your service, shipmate. Bravo zulu.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,585 battles

well a division is a small group of players up to 3 that can play in Randoms, co- op or scenarios where as a clan is hopefully a much larger group of people that can play as a  7 team group when Clan battles is on they may also chose to division up for randoms but you are still only able to  do a 3 team division. You can start your own clan for I think 1000 doublons if you got some friends that want to start one up but its probably better to just try and find one you can join most clans are usually looking for new members so gud luck if that's what you would like to do

[NAVY]
Members
1,009 posts
3,771 battles
3 minutes ago, Popeye444 said:

I used the word "old" so you can put my question into context. Background: Navy, 1966, Vietnam to start...26 years later retired Commander.

Enough [edited]. Just a simple question? Looked on the forum but tough to find the answer.

I play Aces High so used to the squadron concept, so would enjoy the same thing in here.

BTW, served on five DD/DDG/FF type ships and really are the best of the best. But in this cartoon game extremely over molded.

Hello! Welcome to WoWs forums, and thank you for your service.

Divisions can be created for Co-Op, Random, and Operations (Scenario) battle modes for you to play with friends. For Co-Op and Random battle modes divisions with up to 3 ships can be created.  For the Operations (Scenarios) you can create divisions of up to 7. Here is more on teaming up from WG:  https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/guides/crash_course/teaming_up/

Clans are player managed organizations. Here is more on clans from the WoWs wiki: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Clans

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles

A Clan is very much like the "Squadrons" from games like Aces High, or Warbirds.

It is a permanent association, as opposed to a temporary one, like a "Division". You can Division with Clan mates, or just random players. 

Like the Squadrons, some Clans are hard-core competitive while others are more casual. You need to shop around before joining a Clan to make sure you get a good fit.

Welcome aboard, Try to have fun, and enjoy the gorgeous ships. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by Skarp_AGW

[VW]
Members
1,934 posts
12,495 battles

As has been said a division is a group of up to 3 players playing together in game. The division has access to a special chat mode analogous to thre team chat or all chat. This makes communication in game easier and thus enables better coordination of the division members. One can invite anyone into a division.

Clans are a group of 30-40(50?) players who by he simple act of unlocking crates through every day play earn oil which can be used to upgrade their base. The various upgrades can provide bonuses such as reduced purchase price for ships and reduced maintenance costs for ships. They also have access to a clan chat which can be used to share tactics or invite one another to divisions. Clans can compete in clan wars which requiress a 7 member division composed only of members of the same clan to compete against other such divisions from different clans.

a bit longwinded but hopefully clear.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,288 posts
8,963 battles

From the title of this thread, I at first thought it was about a dude who retired from Old Navy.

• Bad 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 hour ago, Popeye444 said:

In my opinion Divisions are  up to 3 Strangers playing in a single battle or 3 Friends. Voice programs are helpful but not required.

Clans are up to 50 Players from all over the NA player base {some others from other regions do play in the NA and vice versa}

The Clan membership has  a "Clan Bonus" Exp., Discounts on Ships,  Clans Build friendships over time. Voice Programs are At most use in a Clan Battles and general Discussions. A place to share Idea's and Pictures of your War Gaming/ Life Experiences.

Clan Membership can lead to  familiar people who will offer training and  Team Play{Divisions} on a regular basis.

If you are ready to get involved in any Clan  Before you make a mistake and pick the wrong group {Age , Player Stats, Language} are things you should consider.

Look for Player Clans that will Help you or You can help. There is an Dedicated Thread here in the forums entitled Clan Recruitment.  I suggest you look at those and find what your looking for in a Clan Membership.

Competitive Clans Have Rules of Stat lvl and Play Times.

Casual Clans Have  No rules but a few Personality Traits required.

Some Clans have a recruitment policy of recommended by member of good standing.

Some have Rules of Membership be active a certain amount of games per week.

There are so many Clans  The Player base is the pool at which a Clan Pulls from.

Choose the Clan that has your interest at the front not their's

[ARRGG]
Members
4,731 posts
7,572 battles
21 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

In my opinion Divisions are  up to 3 Strangers playing in a single battle or 3 Friends. Voice programs are helpful but not required.

Clans are up to 50 Players from all over the NA player base {some others from other regions do play in the NA and vice versa}

The Clan membership has  a "Clan Bonus" Exp., Discounts on Ships,  Clans Build friendships over time. Voice Programs are At most use in a Clan Battles and general Discussions. A place to share Idea's and Pictures of your War Gaming/ Life Experiences.

Clan Membership can lead to  familiar people who will offer training and  Team Play{Divisions} on a regular basis.

If you are ready to get involved in any Clan  Before you make a mistake and pick the wrong group {Age , Player Stats, Language} are things you should consider.

Look for Player Clans that will Help you or You can help. There is an Dedicated Thread here in the forums entitled Clan Recruitment.  I suggest you look at those and find what your looking for in a Clan Membership.

Competitive Clans Have Rules of Stat lvl and Play Times.

Casual Clans Have  No rules but a few Personality Traits required.

Some Clans have a recruitment policy of recommended by member of good standing.

Some have Rules of Membership be active a certain amount of games per week.

There are so many Clans  The Player base is the pool at which a Clan Pulls from.

Choose the Clan that has your interest at the front not their's

Sounds like this Clan is just for you , older many ex military retired players:Smile_honoring: were all Clan battle stuff will be revealed 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
1 hour ago, Popeye444 said:

Thanks to all for the information!

In WOWS, being in a clan has certain benefits as regards extra experience and cheaper (silver) ship purchases.

If you want to get the benefits of being in a clan, without necessarily playing with other clan members, you can join clans for people who don’t like clans.   I’m in Lone Wolves 2 and I think we have some spots open.  Feel free to join if you like.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles
15 hours ago, Popeye444 said:

I bet you would have some good stories to share with us on the forums.

[SF-A]
Beta Testers
302 posts
9,887 battles

As another old (73) player who served on CG11 and 12 (61-65), my vision, reaction time, and multi-tasking abilities have faded, but I love the game. Team Special Forces is a large clan, with multiple sub-clans. We have very serious completive, moderately serious, and casual sub-clans (SF-B where I reside). We are a mostly mature (over 18) clan, and you won't find much trash talk. I play every night from 2100 to 2300 PST, and am on the SF-B channel of our TeamSpeak server. Check out our web site at: https://www.team-sf.com/

You can find TeamSpeak access, and clan information there.

Hope to see you in game, from an almost as old as you are former Talos Fire Control guy.

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,481 battles

You can look at my clan.  There are a bunch of vets, like myself.  You will always find a good clan that is there to support a Vet.  They have been good to me.  Some of the benefits of being in a clan (and yes, this has been beat to death a bit) are:

• Purchase net tier ship discounts
  • Research next tier ship discounts
  • Repair discounts after a battle
  • Collaboration - some clans use Discord for a linked personal web site for games.

Many benefits.  Some clans are forgiving for the effort you put in daily/weekly, and some are not.

Enjoy your search, Commander!

1,266 posts
13 battles

Thank you so much for your service, sir. Along with the helpful information given in this thread, here are a few links that may be helpful to you. 

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Clans

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics_(WoWS) (scroll down a bit for the division information)

Please feel free to ask anything else that you need help with.  Also, thanks very much guys for all of the helpful information and insight given in this thread.