Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Spotter Plane Zoom to Locked Target

3 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,851 posts
13,070 battles

As some of you are aware, during a patch last year WG changed processing of the spotter plane zoom when a target is locked.  Instead of zooming to the locked target range, they changed it to zoom to cursor range.  The problem for me (and others) is if your cursor is sitting at the horizon (or anywhere in the sky) the zoom goes to max....edge of map.  One then has to frantically scroll the mouse to bring cursor to target range, and then aim...shoot.  Before the change, it was simply...zoom...aim...fire.  Or, as it's a zoom to range and not lateral, simply zoom fire.  Scrolling back is a work around, but it can take precious seconds away.  Even taking the cognitive leap to put cursor at target range prior to zoom requires time.   This is especially true when a player spots someone behind a land mass while you are targeting someone else.  All you have to do is look lock and then pop the spotter plane, and you're immediately on the new target.  Now, I look lock, pop the spotter and suddenly see the spotter view at edge of map 30 km away when the target is 5 km away. 

I submitted a ticket to WG, but something is obviously being lost in translation.  After the first non nonsensical response, I explained it again...and got another non nonsensical response.  I doubt a third time will achieve any measure of success. 

So, I come to the forums here asking for help from the CCs or other players who have inside communications and can raise this issue.  Either WG needs to change it back...or perhaps if there are those that actually like the new zoom (I've yet to find anyone), then make it an option in the user interface.  A "Spotter Plane:  Zoom to Locked Target" checkbox.

Not a game breaker...but extremely annoying when it happens.  And in some cases...costly.

• Cool 1

[-GPS-]
Members
2,545 posts
25,082 battles

Well said. I think you explained this stupid problem accurately. 

Soemtimes the fastest way to get on target when you end up looking at the horizon is to zoom out, aim at the ocean in front of you, zoom back in and slowly raise the crosshairs to your intended target. If that sounds like it eats up valuable time, it does. 

I know that shooting wihile using a spotter plane is difficult at first. However, it is extremely useful once you get the hang of it. Of course you can shoot over islands with much greater accuracy. It also extends your range significantly.  The Shchors can shoot more than 20 km with a spotter plane. You can start fires at any range, but it’s much harder for that BB you’re turning into a barbecue to hit you at 18+ km. Finally, a spotter plane makes it much easier to gauge the distance correctly when shooting into smoke. 

I typed all of that because I used to think spotter planes were fairly useless. It made me angry to get the plane duration special upgrade. Not anymore!  Playing the Shchors forced me to learn how to use it, and now I run the extended plane duration module on that ship and a few others. IIRC it gives me 118 seconds of extended range on the Shchors. Excellent!  

I use a spotter plane on my USN and IJN battleships even when extending the range would be just silly. It’s so much fun to blap a cruiser who thinks he’s safely wedged between two islands...

i have no idea why WG changed the aiming mechanic, but they really need to change it back. Lock on a target while zoomed out and zoom in STAYING LOCKED ON THAT TARGET. 

Edited by Landing_Skipper

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
15,017 battles
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Either WG needs to change it back...or perhaps if there are those that actually like the new zoom (I've yet to find anyone), then make it an option in the user interface.  A "Spotter Plane:  Zoom to Locked Target" checkbox.

Like you said, the issue is it takes time, to be able to dial in a target. Lots of time if both of you are moving and maneuvering, due to shell time. what I suspect is WG wants players to use and (want) the extended spotter mod.

Sign in to follow this