You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Moskva HE against DDs - how stronk?

8 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

I'm curious, like always, about HE with my Moskva. Is her standard HE strong against DDs for you? I find quite often the need to drop three salvos, maybe four on the DDs she encounters before they sink. This sort of surprises me, as I would "expect" two salvos to do it. Her HE against other ship types works nicely. Fun thing was I actually managed to take 60K away from a Yamato last night, sinking it with three AP salvos in the end of 3 to 6K each salvo. So I do enjoy playing her. 

It just "seems" (to me alone, no doubt) a salvo of HE on a Tier 8-10 DD should pretty much devastate the destroyer. Two, should be sunk. But quite often it's three and sometimes four. I'm talking about 40-50% hit rate on each salvo. I suppose my math is wrong? 

Members
1,327 posts
501 battles

I remember deleting many a DD after two salvos.... IIRC IFHE plays a big part of that...
Have not took it out in some time... so I could be wrong... but the HE it slings is pretty stronk.... maybe some of the best in the cruiser lines....

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles

Well you have 9 rifles with 3100 HE dmg per shell. That means you have a potential ~9,200 damage per salvo if you land and do damage with all 9 on a DD. The Harekaze has about 13k hp so you would need 2 salvos to take it out. Really you will probably hit less than half your shells meaning less than 5k per salvo so you would need about 3 salvos to kill the lowest HP tier 8 DD.

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles
7 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

I remember deleting many a DD after two salvos.... IIRC IFHE plays a big part of that...
Have not took it out in some time... so I could be wrong... but the HE it slings is pretty stronk.... maybe some of the best in the cruiser lines....

Do any DD’s have more than 36mm armor?

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,310 posts
6,590 battles

Since she has the ballistics to hit DDs, she is doing well against them, however

15 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

IIRC IFHE plays a big part of that...

in case you do not know, IFHE has no impact at all on the damage dealing itself. IFHE affects your raw penetration value, nothing more, nothing less.

The way HE works when facing armor is the following:

When the shell hits the armor it will never bounce, and the fuse will always detonate (so you can set fires regardless of what happens next) and with it the fire chance gets applied and the dice thrown on that. In the next step, the game takes the raw armor thickness (regardless of angling, HE doesn't care about the angle) and sees if it is either thinner than the HE penetration of the shell or not. If the armor is thinner, your shell will score a normal penetration or a citadel hit depending on what it hit. If the armor was too thick, no shell damage will occur.

HE penetration is in general 1/6th of the caliber, with the exception being all German guns that are 128mm or larger and all British Tech Tree Battleships and the Duke of York. Those exceptions have 1/4th.

On the example of the Moskva it looks like that:

220mm / 6 = 36.666mm which we round up to 37mm. Your HE will now penetrate anything up to 36mm. If you add IFHE the 36.666 will be multiplied with 1.3, so it becomes 47.666mm or in other words anything up to 47mm.

Since no Destroyer has a plating that is in between 37mm and 47mm, IFHE on the Moskva will have zero benefit when it comes to hunting DDs.

[SALVO]
Members
17,055 posts
17,692 battles

2 HE volleys from a Moskva sink a tier 10 DD seems rather generous.  You'd need to hit with almost every shell, given that most tier 10 DDs have around 20k HP or more.

Members
1,327 posts
501 battles
2 hours ago, SireneRacker said:

Since she has the ballistics to hit DDs, she is doing well against them, however

in case you do not know, IFHE has no impact at all on the damage dealing itself. IFHE affects your raw penetration value, nothing more, nothing less.

The way HE works when facing armor is the following:

When the shell hits the armor it will never bounce, and the fuse will always detonate (so you can set fires regardless of what happens next) and with it the fire chance gets applied and the dice thrown on that. In the next step, the game takes the raw armor thickness (regardless of angling, HE doesn't care about the angle) and sees if it is either thinner than the HE penetration of the shell or not. If the armor is thinner, your shell will score a normal penetration or a citadel hit depending on what it hit. If the armor was too thick, no shell damage will occur.

HE penetration is in general 1/6th of the caliber, with the exception being all German guns that are 128mm or larger and all British Tech Tree Battleships and the Duke of York. Those exceptions have 1/4th.

On the example of the Moskva it looks like that:

220mm / 6 = 36.666mm which we round up to 37mm. Your HE will now penetrate anything up to 36mm. If you add IFHE the 36.666 will be multiplied with 1.3, so it becomes 47.666mm or in other words anything up to 47mm.

Since no Destroyer has a plating that is in between 37mm and 47mm, IFHE on the Moskva will have zero benefit when it comes to hunting DDs.

which is why I said IIRC..... and I did not

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Okay guys - MUCH appreciated, to all parties! I'm not lazy with the math and such but often am not sure exactly how to apply it. Have a great weekend!