You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

52 comments in this topic

[JMMAF]
Members
24 posts

Hello WG,

I have been playing this game for a five months now. I have just over 1,500 matches played.  I have a pretty good split between BB, Cruisers and DD.   I generally find myself just logging off when I am frustrated with this game but increasingly, i find myself no longer enjoying this game.  There are some fundamental problems with the game as you advance in ship tiers that grow to the point that they are bordering on insurmountable without effective team play and or begging the devs for balance changes.

A bit of background, My highest tier ship is a tier 9 FDG German BB. I was enjoying the  German BB line but  its gotten to the point where I feel like its impossible to progress. I am a semi casual player in that I don't have time to find a hardcore clan, and I do mostly random battles because I can play for 20 minutes, and then  walk away if I need to. I am not here to pretend like I am pro, I am not. I have hovered around a 50% win rate. I get the game concepts, and do my job.

Increasingly I am finding myself not wanting to play anymore.  At Top Tiers (8,9,10) there is no room for error and your team all must execute properly for things to work. As a German BB commander my job is to be close to the action as a brawler and not sitting in the back sniping. Basically I am fodder in hopes of playing smart enough and drawing enough attention to myself to hope that my team can burn down the enemy while they focus on me. This does not mean I am charging in guns blazing right through the middle of the map. I play it strategically and use cover etc.  It does not matter though. 

At lower tiers there was a very real sense of rock paper scissors with the ships.  BB > C   C > DD  DD >  BB. As the game progressed its gotten to the point where the only way to win is to lemming around the map with your entire team trying to snipe from distance. There is something fundamentally wrong with the way this game forces players to group up into a swarm and that's the only way to reliably have a shot at winning. This is not fun and frankly its forcing people to start playing certain ships if they want to keep having an effective performance that warrants playing.  

I am sure WG gets grievances like these all the time, but as a paying customer who pays for premiums, buys flags, doubloons and ships,  I (We the paying customers) are the people they should be paying attention to in a free to play game.  We keep the lights on. I am not saying I am 100% correct, but I am guessing there are more people like me (average players who pay) than there are pros here who will most likely show up in this thread and tell me to get better or "git gud."

My specific grievances:

1) Scoring System is broken - There is virtually no incentive to do anything but damage enemy ships.  Credits are so hard to come by in this game that if you do not farm damage on enemy ships you do not get enough XP or credits to make it worth your time. I know recently they said they were going to be fixing this, but more needs to be done. Capturing objectives needs to be worth far more.  Defensive ribbons should be worth far more.  Damage from Scouting should be a significant payout.  Give people who are true team players and not out for themselves only have an effective way to get considerable XP and credits from a match.

2) Cruisers - I started out as one of the worst cruiser players ever. As I have advanced through the cruiser lines from all the countries I have seen just how OP cruisers have become. Cruisers at high tiers have a range that is far too large. historically accurate or not, the fact that cruisers effective range rivals that of BB's is frustrating. Let me point out the C vs BB scenario. At higher tiers most of the cruisers have between 7-12 second reload times (roughly 3-4x faster than a BB).  Many of the cruiser are spamming you with shells from ranges of 14-17k.  You are gonna end up on fire, you are going to be burning and with repair party having a 2 minute cooldown you are not going to be able to stop the fire more than once without taking significant damage. I use all the tricks like waiting until I have 2-3 fires before using it, etc.. Smart cruisers at top tier are generally spamming you from smoke or from behind a landmass so you are entirely reliant upon your team to scout and or CV to provide vision (if you can even shoot back). CV's would have been a good counter to cruiser camping (sitting stationary and just lobbing shells from safety all game) but frankly I only find CV's in about 1 in every 15 matches or so.  Right now cruisers are king and there is no rock paper scissors with them. They are faster than BBs, more mobile and can dodge incoming shells with ease (at range) and can continue to rain down shots at a 3-4 to 1 ratio that are going to burn you to dust.  I try not to gripe without presenting a solution. Perhaps WG should consider a diminishing return on fire damage. After all, there is only so much combustible material on a ship. Maybe code in something that prevents ships from taking more than 1/3 of total HP as fire damage? Consider lowering the range of cruisers main guns and or considering adjusting firing arcs  so they cannot spam with impunity. I will get to Radar when I discuss DD's.

3) DD's - Right now I have no real gripes about them as a ship type. I think WG has done a good job overall of not making these OP.  The only gripe I have in general about destroyer game play is that cruisers with radar have completely hard countered destroyers. As I said early, the lemming train is generally in full effect in random games. So generally once a radar fires off, you have 5-6 ships shooting at you at once and you are going to die, virtually instantly.  Personally i believe the range is too large on radar and the duration is too long.  If WG was to fix either the range or the duration it would at least balance it out a bit.  DD's are essential to the game flow for spotting and capping things.  With not every Cruiser having radar if you get in a matchup where one team has radar and the other team does not, you are at an incredible disadvantage.

4) BB's - I understand this class used to be king and the meta has shifted. I don't want any one class to be able to do what cruisers can do right now which is kill everyone else.  BB's have issues, Fire damage is literally making these impossible to play anymore. Destroyers spamming you from 11k providing vision to the other cruisers who are nestled cozy behind landmasses and lobbing shells is just a broken concept. I can accept the overpens from BB guns on DD and Cruisers, I can accept being slower and less mobile, but what is the redeeming factor? The armor does not matter when you are getting burned.Once you are on fire the other players can retreat to cover while the damage keeps ticking, Rinse and repeat. I routinely score far more with cruisers than I do with BB's. Its not a coincidence. I honestly do not see what the redeeming factor is right now for BB's or what they bring to the game. They have terrible dispersion, long reloads, ships at top tiers are so fast that shots beyond 15k have little chance of effectively striking a DD or Cruiser. Secondaries - These should be far more effective. As a German BB my job is to brawl and get in close.  My secondaries are complete garbage. They are the same size as destroyer main guns in many instances yet lack the accuracy and IMHO (cant prove it) they start fires far less often. if i am expected to get close in and expose my sluggish ship to knife fighting range shouldn't my secondaries at least help balance the engagement vs the torpedoes being fired at me from 5k range. Mind you most Cruisers and all DD's have torps.

5) Cost to Run Ships / Flags - This is a sore subject for me. we all have those games where we go in there and its just a potatofest right from the start.  You can lose 60-100k at tier 9 running a battleship plus flags that you purchased. The cost of ammo too. I have gotten to the point that I only take shots I Feel I can reliably hit.  It is incredibly hard to get credits in this game. I recently purchased the Atago to try and help with this. Its a good ship and I can get over 200k easy most matches, but is it truly the intent that I have to buy a $40 dollar ship in order to keep my tier 9 running?  Lets not forget the camo's.and how those can instantly be wasted if you get in a potatofest.

Ultimately where I am at as a player is close to done. There is absolutely nothing fun about playing top tier games right now. I honestly have tried playing more cautiously and being acutely aware of positioning and it doesnt really matter. The rate of fire and the success of fire has marginalized the game for me to the point of saying why bother. I dont play my Tier 9 anymore except to get the daily experience bonus.  I can accept getting torped if I am sailing in a straight line like a noob, I EXCEPT to get torps if i chase a DD around a corner or charge a smoke screen. Its risk vs reward. There should always be a risk vs reward. Right now there is all reward for spamming cruisers and no risk.  Even if CV's are fixed and more people play them Cruisers are still incredibly strong with the AA suites and frankly, i question whether planes will even slow them down.

Edited by megahugenoob
edited for clarity on people paying
  • Cool 10
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

Members
4,576 posts
6,531 battles

Can you not have fun just playing lower tiers?  I only play up to tier 7. I have a bunch of lower tier ships that I have a hoot playing and repairs and all that are minimal. Lotta fighting in tiers 7 and below. High tiers are just not everyone's thing.  Many seem to become jaded (like you) when they get waaaay up there. But many love high tiers.  People are different. Carry on.

• Cool 4

Members
4,576 posts
6,531 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Get out, then, and good riddance to you.

We need to keep players not troll them. Offer some encouragement! 

• Cool 8

[ARGSY]
Members
6,420 posts
4,302 battles
1 minute ago, dmckay said:

We need to keep players not troll them. Offer some encouragement! 

The point at which OP asserted their rights (privileges? demands for preferential treatment?) as a paying customer was the point at which my tolerance and sympathy ended.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 18

Members
3,490 posts
6,189 battles

There is no reason to play tiers you don't want to....  Play the tiers that are fun for you.  I have a lot of fun at tiers 4-7 - quite a lot.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,876 posts
5,259 battles
15 minutes ago, megahugenoob said:

Hello WG,

I have been playing this game for a five months now. I have just over 1,500 matches played.  I have a pretty good split between BB, Cruisers and DD.   I generally find myself just logging off when I am frustrated with this game but increasingly, i find myself no longer enjoying this game.  There are some fundamental problems with the game as you advance in ship tiers that grow to the point that they are bordering on insurmountable without effective team play and or begging the devs for balance changes.

A bit of background, My highest tier ship is a tier 9 FDG German BB. I was enjoying the  German BB line but  its gotten to the point where I feel like its impossible to progress. I am a semi casual player in that I don't have time to find a hardcore clan, and I do mostly random battles because I can play for 20 minutes, and then  walk away if I need to. I am not here to pretend like I am pro, I am not. I have hovered around a 50% win rate. I get the game concepts, and do my job.

Increasingly I am finding myself not wanting to play anymore.  At Top Tiers (8,9,10) there is no room for error and your team all must execute properly for things to work. As a German BB commander my job is to be close to the action as a brawler and not sitting in the back sniping. Basically I am fodder in hopes of playing smart enough and drawing enough attention to myself to hope that my team can burn down the enemy while they focus on me. This does not mean I am charging in guns blazing right through the middle of the map. I play it strategically and use cover etc.  It does not matter though. 

At lower tiers there was a very real sense of rock paper scissors with the ships.  BB > C   C > DD  DD >  BB. As the game progressed its gotten to the point where the only way to win is to lemming around the map with your entire team trying to snipe from distance. There is something fundamentally wrong with the way this game forces players to group up into a swarm and that's the only way to reliably have a shot at winning. This is not fun and frankly its forcing people to start playing certain ships if they want to keep having an effective performance that warrants playing.  

I am sure WG gets grievances like these all the time, but as a paying customer who pays for premiums, buys flags, doubloons and ships,  I am the person they should be paying attention to in a free to play game.  We keep the lights on. I am not saying I am 100% correct, but I am guessing there are more people like me (average players who pay) than there are pros here who will most likely show up in this thread and tell me to get better or "git gud."

My specific grievances:

1) Scoring System is broken - There is virtually no incentive to do anything but damage enemy ships.  Credits are so hard to come by in this game that if you do not farm damage on enemy ships you do not get enough XP or credits to make it worth your time. I know recently they said they were going to be fixing this, but more needs to be done. Capturing objectives needs to be worth far more.  Defensive ribbons should be worth far more.  Damage from Scouting should be a significant payout.  Give people who are true team players and not out for themselves only have an effective way to get considerable XP and credits from a match.

2) Cruisers - I started out as one of the worst cruiser players ever. As I have advanced through the cruiser lines from all the countries I have seen just how OP cruisers have become. Cruisers at high tiers have a range that is far too large. historically accurate or not, the fact that cruisers effective range rivals that of BB's is frustrating. Let me point out the C vs BB scenario. At higher tiers most of the cruisers have between 7-12 second reload times (roughly 3-4x faster than a BB).  Many of the cruiser are spamming you with shells from ranges of 14-17k.  You are gonna end up on fire, you are going to be burning and with repair party having a 2 minute cooldown you are not going to be able to stop the fire more than once without taking significant damage. I use all the tricks like waiting until I have 2-3 fires before using it, etc.. Smart cruisers at top tier are generally spamming you from smoke or from behind a landmass so you are entirely reliant upon your team to scout and or CV to provide vision (if you can even shoot back). CV's would have been a good counter to cruiser camping (sitting stationary and just lobbing shells from safety all game) but frankly I only find CV's in about 1 in every 15 matches or so.  Right now cruisers are king and there is no rock paper scissors with them. They are faster than BBs, more mobile and can dodge incoming shells with ease (at range) and can continue to rain down shots at a 3-4 to 1 ratio that are going to burn you to dust.  I try not to gripe without presenting a solution. Perhaps WG should consider a diminishing return on fire damage. After all, there is only so much combustible material on a ship. Maybe code in something that prevents ships from taking more than 1/3 of total HP as fire damage? Consider lowering the range of cruisers main guns and or considering adjusting firing arcs  so they cannot spam with impunity. I will get to Radar when I discuss DD's.

3) DD's - Right now I have no real gripes about them as a ship type. I think WG has done a good job overall of not making these OP.  The only gripe I have in general about destroyer game play is that cruisers with radar have completely hard countered destroyers. As I said early, the lemming train is generally in full effect in random games. So generally once a radar fires off, you have 5-6 ships shooting at you at once and you are going to die, virtually instantly.  Personally i believe the range is too large on radar and the duration is too long.  If WG was to fix either the range or the duration it would at least balance it out a bit.  DD's are essential to the game flow for spotting and capping things.  With not every Cruiser having radar if you get in a matchup where one team has radar and the other team does not, you are at an incredible disadvantage.

4) BB's - I understand this class used to be king and the meta has shifted. I don't want any one class to be able to do what cruisers can do right now which is kill everyone else.  BB's have issues, Fire damage is literally making these impossible to play anymore. Destroyers spamming you from 11k providing vision to the other cruisers who are nestled cozy behind landmasses and lobbing shells is just a broken concept. I can accept the overpens from BB guns on DD and Cruisers, I can accept being slower and less mobile, but what is the redeeming factor? The armor does not matter when you are getting burned.Once you are on fire the other players can retreat to cover while the damage keeps ticking, Rinse and repeat. I routinely score far more with cruisers than I do with BB's. Its not a coincidence. I honestly do not see what the redeeming factor is right now for BB's or what they bring to the game. They have terrible dispersion, long reloads, ships at top tiers are so fast that shots beyond 15k have little chance of effectively striking a DD or Cruiser. Secondaries - These should be far more effective. As a German BB my job is to brawl and get in close.  My secondaries are complete garbage. They are the same size as destroyer main guns in many instances yet lack the accuracy and IMHO (cant prove it) they start fires far less often. if i am expected to get close in and expose my sluggish ship to knife fighting range shouldn't my secondaries at least help balance the engagement vs the torpedoes being fired at me from 5k range. Mind you most Cruisers and all DD's have torps.

5) Cost to Run Ships / Flags - This is a sore subject for me. we all have those games where we go in there and its just a potatofest right from the start.  You can lose 60-100k at tier 9 running a battleship plus flags that you purchased. The cost of ammo too. I have gotten to the point that I only take shots I Feel I can reliably hit.  It is incredibly hard to get credits in this game. I recently purchased the Atago to try and help with this. Its a good ship and I can get over 200k easy most matches, but is it truly the intent that I have to buy a $40 dollar ship in order to keep my tier 9 running?  Lets not forget the camo's.and how those can instantly be wasted if you get in a potatofest.

Ultimately where I am at as a player is close to done. There is absolutely nothing fun about playing top tier games right now. I honestly have tried playing more cautiously and being acutely aware of positioning and it doesnt really matter. The rate of fire and the success of fire has marginalized the game for me to the point of saying why bother. I dont play my Tier 9 anymore except to get the daily experience bonus.  I can accept getting torped if I am sailing in a straight line like a noob, I EXCEPT to get torps if i chase a DD around a corner or charge a smoke screen. Its risk vs reward. There should always be a risk vs reward. Right now there is all reward for spamming cruisers and no risk.  Even if CV's are fixed and more people play them Cruisers are still incredibly strong with the AA suites and frankly, i question whether planes will even slow them down.

FdG is terrible.   Either Free XP past it to GK which is awesome, or start another line of BBs.

• Angry 2

[JMMAF]
Members
24 posts
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The point at which OP asserted their rights (privileges? demands for preferential treatment?) as a paying customer was the point at which my tolerance and sympathy ended.

I said they need to be listening to paying customers. We (paying customers) keep the lights on.  While I might have been vocal and posted, how many do you think just said screw it and stopped playing?  If you understood the context of the original post you would see that "I" is referring to paying customers.  I am nobody man. But how many people who spent a few hundred dollars leave before people do start paying attention?

[PSP]
Members
6,342 posts
8,968 battles

I haven't played the game much in the past couple of weeks. It's Spring and I have way too much real-world stuff to do. If you are tired of a game then shelve it and do something else. After a time you might find yourself becoming interested in it again. Or, you may develop a new interest.  Right now I seem to have developed a hankering to play chess, though I'm not very good at it. 

• Cool 2

Members
4,576 posts
6,531 battles
2 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

There is no reason to play tiers you don't want to....  Play the tiers that are fun for you.  I have a lot of fun at tiers 4-7 - quite a lot.

Ya. At least ships are shooting like crazy at each other.  That is fun in my world.  Heck I get a charge out of tier 3. Each to their own however.

[JMMAF]
Members
24 posts
4 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

This is what I have been doing. I have been enjoying the British BB line and the Japanese cruiser line. Both are quite fun at tier 5.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
4,267 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

At least he supports the game, as I see it you're a freeloader. And, yes I spend a fair amount on this game.

• Cool 1

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
854 posts
4,876 battles

Dmckay makes a good point. There is no race to tier 10. Though I guess them making this season tier 10 I guess does put a little pressure. I stopped playing ranked over a year ago and just play what I enjoy. I've been messing around with DDs and cruisers lately and having fun. I even just chuckle now when I see my team roll-over quick.  I am a premium player (I buy it when it's cheap) and I do buy ships that look fun to play. Take a step back and play the tiers you enjoyed.

Members
4,576 posts
6,531 battles
3 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I haven't played the game much in the past couple of weeks. It's Spring and I have way too much real-world stuff to do. If you are tired of a game then shelve it and do something else. After a time you might find yourself becoming interested in it again. Or, you may develop a new interest.  Right now I seem to have developed a hankering to play chess, though I'm not very good at it. 

Chess! Now THAT"S a camp for serious campers....but I used to play chess a lot. I should take it up again. 

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
302 posts
9,878 battles
3 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

FdG is terrible.   Either Free XP past it to GK which is awesome, or start another line of BBs.

I sort of liked the Freddie but the DPM was lacking compared to other BBs of the same rank. The Grover (the below pic is how I think of it for some reason) is great. It can tank like a boss and every hit seems to do impressive damage. Deleted a cruiser earlier with a 57k hit. 

0feb54279a65a8a5319bd63e190e917d--macys-

And the proportions are correct since the Grover can be seen from orbit. 

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,710 battles
20 minutes ago, megahugenoob said:

They do have a point with this one and it's one area WG needs to look at and fix, each class DD,Cruisers,BB and CV each have there on style to playing the game like for DD it's capping, spotting where as BB it's more focused on dealing damage and even CV some matches all you can do for the first half is spot and give AA cover. Scoring needs to be changed to allow for better xp and credits for Ships doing what they we made to do and not just how much damage you can do in a match.

• Cool 2

Members
4,576 posts
6,531 battles
7 minutes ago, Mainerd said:

Dmckay makes a good point. There is no race to tier 10. Though I guess them making this season tier 10 I guess does put a little pressure. I stopped playing ranked over a year ago and just play what I enjoy. I've been messing around with DDs and cruisers lately and having fun. I even just chuckle now when I see my team roll-over quick.  I am a premium player (I buy it when it's cheap) and I do buy ships that look fun to play. Take a step back and play the tiers you enjoyed.

Good point.  Ever since I have played WG tanks and ships I note there are the types (some) that seem to feel the GOAL is to get up to the highest tier.  The goal actually is to have fun. For some I do think it's just an ego trip...."Me play only tier 10.  Me Tarzan!"  You know what I mean. But then there are those who like it up there and that's cool.  Takes all kinds. 

Edited by dmckay

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,876 posts
5,259 battles
Just now, dmckay said:

Good point.  Ever since I have played WG tanks and ships I note there are the types (some) that seem to feel the GOAL is to get up to the highest tier.  The goal actually is to have fun. For some I do think it's just an ego trip...."Me play only tier 10.  Me Tarzan!"  You know what I mean. But then there are those who like it up there and that's cool.  Takes all kinds. 

Year I have several Tier 9s and 10s but I hardly ever play them.   This game is most fun at Tiers 4-8.

• Cool 1

[SUCIT]
Members
846 posts
3,657 battles
18 minutes ago, megahugenoob said:

-snip

Honestly it seems like you have a slight vendetta right now.  

I'll try to address your points logically, and try to give you help as I go through.  

1.  The scoring system was overhauled fairly recently.  Capping now gives tons of XP, spotting and tanking give fair amounts of XP as well.  Damage is what wins games though.  Are there games where you can win without doing damage?  Sure, but those mostly happen in competitive environments.  In randoms, damage is what takes precedence.  It's an answer a lot of people don't like to hear, but its the truth.  If you want to get XP and Credits, change your target priority.  Doing damage to a DD is far more valuable than doing damage to a BB.

2.  Cruisers are in a fairly good place high tier.  Lower tiers are sometimes painful to play, but can get the job done.  A Cruiser can go pop with every salvo you fire.  A cruiser cannot pop you with one of their salvos.  You should be using some sort of concealment and fire when targets are unaware of you.  You're probably playing your GK with a secondary build which is leading to all of your problems with fires, but I'll touch on that later.  

3.  DD's are fine, Radar is not a hard counter.  Radar can cause any DD to take damage, but does not instantly kill it.  By no means is being spotted a death sentence.  

4.  This is where we can begin to talk about your gameplay.  Secondaries are just that, a secondary way of doing damage.  I am not a good KM BB captain, but I like to think I am a very good USN, IJN and UK BB captain.  You should not be using a full secondary build, really ever.  A concealment and fire prevention build will give you FAR more effectiveness and will allow you to live far longer in firefights.  Your job is not to play aggressive and be the sole focus of enemy fire in a BB.  Your job is to push with support of your team.  Running with a concealment build will allow you far more liberties in your positioning that I touched on in point 2.  A fire prevention build will cause you to be far more survivable when you're under focus fire.  Don't show a broadside, angle your armor and only present guns when it's safe.  If you have any questions, want to talk about your specific gameplay or want me to do any demo review, shoot me a DM on the forums.  

5.  This answer is going to piss a lot of people off, but here it is.  This is a F2P game.  Premium time exists as a luxury.  If you want to run high tier ships, without running premium time, you're going to be out screwed.  As it stands, I run premium and never lose credits at any tier.  You can either be a F2P player, and grind your way up the lines, including the credits necessary to advance, or be a P2P player, which will make the grind much easier.  

Your only top tier experience is in a ship many regard as "not so good".  You should probably go back to lower tiers, gain some more experience, and see if there are any more lines you prefer playing.  Every tech tree has at least one sub-par ship in it, and it just happens to be the FDG in the KM BB line.  

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
5,678 posts
18,265 battles

I made the mistake of rushing up the tiers as quickly as I could. Luckily I realized my mistake when I started playing carriers and understood that what I should be grinding is captains and not ships. I have lots of things I don't like about the game, not going into them here, but what I did find joy in was just playing lower tiered ships, usually premiums, and grinding my captains up to 19. I pretty much stopped advancing any ship lines, usually around tier 7-8 I just stop. I unlocked the tier 9 German BB (forget its name), bought it and it sat in port for a long while. I had no desire to play it. I finally sold it off since upper tier game play does not appeal to me at all. I do plan on using my free xp to get a tier 10 ship, probably a USN DD or BB since I have the tier 9's of those. I only want a tier 10 so I can get the yearly award for owning one, it will sit in my port with a one point captain and no modules, rusting away until it settles in the mud in my port. 

To the OP, find something you enjoy playing, it does not matter at what tier, and play. Make a small herd of 19 point captains and reap the benefits of having them. 

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
917 posts
6,144 battles

The best part of that whole msg was "Credits are hard to come by." You're kidding right? I've never bought credits yet somehow, despite buying several ships in the last little while I'm pushing 200 million. 

Yes, there should be better incentive for spotting. Too often you have a DD lay a smoke screen, then go in it and hide where he can't spot anything.

[JMMAF]
Members
24 posts
7 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Honestly it seems like you have a slight vendetta right now.  

I'll try to address your points logically, and try to give you help as I go through.  

1.  The scoring system was overhauled fairly recently.  Capping now gives tons of XP, spotting and tanking give fair amounts of XP as well.  Damage is what wins games though.  Are there games where you can win without doing damage?  Sure, but those mostly happen in competitive environments.  In randoms, damage is what takes precedence.  It's an answer a lot of people don't like to hear, but its the truth.  If you want to get XP and Credits, change your target priority.  Doing damage to a DD is far more valuable than doing damage to a BB.

2.  Cruisers are in a fairly good place high tier.  Lower tiers are sometimes painful to play, but can get the job done.  A Cruiser can go pop with every salvo you fire.  A cruiser cannot pop you with one of their salvos.  You should be using some sort of concealment and fire when targets are unaware of you.  You're probably playing your GK with a secondary build which is leading to all of your problems with fires, but I'll touch on that later.  

3.  DD's are fine, Radar is not a hard counter.  Radar can cause any DD to take damage, but does not instantly kill it.  By no means is being spotted a death sentence.  

4.  This is where we can begin to talk about your gameplay.  Secondaries are just that, a secondary way of doing damage.  I am not a good KM BB captain, but I like to think I am a very good USN, IJN and UK BB captain.  You should not be using a full secondary build, really ever.  A concealment and fire prevention build will give you FAR more effectiveness and will allow you to live far longer in firefights.  Your job is not to play aggressive and be the sole focus of enemy fire in a BB.  Your job is to push with support of your team.  Running with a concealment build will allow you far more liberties in your positioning that I touched on in point 2.  A fire prevention build will cause you to be far more survivable when you're under focus fire.  Don't show a broadside, angle your armor and only present guns when it's safe.  If you have any questions, want to talk about your specific gameplay or want me to do any demo review, shoot me a DM on the forums.  

5.  This answer is going to piss a lot of people off, but here it is.  This is a F2P game.  Premium time exists as a luxury.  If you want to run high tier ships, without running premium time, you're going to be out screwed.  As it stands, I run premium and never lose credits at any tier.  You can either be a F2P player, and grind your way up the lines, including the credits necessary to advance, or be a P2P player, which will make the grind much easier.  

Your only top tier experience is in a ship many regard as "not so good".  You should probably go back to lower tiers, gain some more experience, and see if there are any more lines you prefer playing.  Every tech tree has at least one sub-par ship in it, and it just happens to be the FDG in the KM BB line.  

Thanks for the feedback. i do run a concealment build presently, but I have also invested in my secondaries. My detection on the FDG is like 13.4? (memory) which is not bad for that ship. 

I also have a Tier9 Yugumo that i enjoy playing. I find that I either absolutely crush it in a DD game or get insta gibbed. Most of the time when I get gibbed its my own fault for being overly aggressive.

I will test out some other builds at your suggestion and see if i can find anything more effective. Thank you.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,808 posts
15,336 battles
19 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Get out, then, and good riddance to you.

When you read comments like this, you wonder how anyone could ever say that the player base is anything less than fully supportive.  Thank you for your comments, and for being such a short Richard.

18 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'm pretty sure it ended long before that ... long, long before that!

1 minute ago, TheBlackWind said:

I've never bought credits yet somehow, despite buying several ships in the last little while I'm pushing 200 million.

Yeah, the way to accomplish that is to play the lower tiers, which several players have suggested and which OP states he prefers. I am NOT especially good at this game, play only the ships I enjoy playing, and have managed to rack up over 500 mil in credits. Sorry, buy credits ARE easy! XP now ... that is a horse of a different color.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,888 posts
1,338 battles

Here's the quote I noticed: "BB's have issues, Fire damage is literally making these impossible to play anymore."

This is a L2P issue, not a game issue.  Use your consumables properly, and if you need to spec into fire protection for a bit to weather the storm, do so.  Fire is a counter to BBs, same as torpedoes.  Adapt, and overcome.  Don't expect to fire to go away anytime soon.  I'm a fairly new player, but I've learned how to conquer fire.  You're at high tiers.  You can learn as well.

On the other hand, if you're hating to even log in, go play something you enjoy for a while, and you'll either get pulled back to WoWS, or, it's not for you, and you won't come back.  Only you know the answer.

Members
1,348 posts
506 battles
24 minutes ago, megahugenoob said:

I said they need to be listening to paying customers. We (paying customers) keep the lights on.  While I might have been vocal and posted, how many do you think just said screw it and stopped playing?  If you understood the context of the original post you would see that "I" is referring to paying customers.  I am nobody man. But how many people who spent a few hundred dollars leave before people do start paying attention?

if someone spends a few hundred dollars on this game and leaves.... what difference will it make if they rant about nonsense and leave or if they just leave... and 1500 games..... not nearly enough to stop having fun... you ran up the tiers far too fast as it is... so of course you won't have fun if you are not doing that good at it... at 1500 yous should be at about 6 MAX with skills to match... MAYBE it is time to get down to tier four and start getting all that skill it will learn ya....
I have spent roughly 500 in the few years I ave been here.... almost always have fun at any tier... even with this acct..... but going past ships too fast is not going to get you anything but frustrated because learning a ship line takes patience, practice and knowledge about the ship and the next one... which will teach you how to play the next one... also coming here to ASK for advice instead of screaming  I DESERVE... will get you more points..

YOUTUBE will make you a better player too... $$$$ will not

Members
1,348 posts
506 battles

also you are far better in cruisers than BBs.... maybe try going that way for a while...