You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Seagrizzly

Khab, Ranked and not Losing a star.

13 comments in this topic

[SC]
Alpha Tester
127 posts
5,448 battles

Hey guys, just wanted to ask you guys driving those Khab's how you do it, almost every match that I am in there with them they all seem to be at the top of the scoreboard.  They just cruise around all match racking up damage grab a few caps and bang top of the scoreboard.  

I just came from a match where I was in a BB, did 130k damage, got 1 cap, 5 defense, close quarters achievement, high caliber, and 2 kills but a khab that got no kills and confederate beat me out by over 100 points.  I get that my match is not amazing but what am I missing, do dd's get some sort of special bonus, or well that bb in general?  I play my yueyang and even when I do 100 k damage with many kills and multiple caps I am in the middle of the pack?  Is there a chart somewhere we can look up what gets you the most points for ranked scoring?

Members
1,936 posts

Ive been wary of trying Khaba since accuracy and gunnery at high levels makes hitting them not that difficult, and potential damage doesn't seem to do much for XP.

Otoh my 150k avg damage Montana is sub 50% right now so....

Edited by why_u_heff_to_be_mad

[ZR]
WoWS Wiki Editor
564 posts
4,789 battles

No, playing Khab will just drive the higher ranked people crazy.

• Cool 1

[XBRTC]
Members
1,396 posts
7,411 battles
10 minutes ago, mrmariokartguy said:

No, playing Khab will just drive the higher ranked people crazy.

I know. That's why I do it. :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,955 battles
19 minutes ago, Seagrizzly said:

Hey guys, just wanted to ask you guys driving those Khab's how you do it, almost every match that I am in there with them they all seem to be at the top of the scoreboard.  They just cruise around all match racking up damage grab a few caps and bang top of the scoreboard.  

I just came from a match where I was in a BB, did 130k damage, got 1 cap, 5 defense, close quarters achievement, high caliber, and 2 kills but a khab that got no kills and confederate beat me out by over 100 points.  I get that my match is not amazing but what am I missing, do dd's get some sort of special bonus, or well that bb in general?  I play my yueyang and even when I do 100 k damage with many kills and multiple caps I am in the middle of the pack?  Is there a chart somewhere we can look up what gets you the most points for ranked scoring?

It also has to do with spotting. Potential damage and actual damage spotted. That's added into the XP. Also from what ships did he get the damage/XP from. DD HP's are more valuable than other ship types since they don't have heal normally. CA's and BB's are health sponges and they don't count as much. Same thing for Frags. DD Frags are much more valuable. Thus the reason for focus firing on DD's.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles
32 minutes ago, Seagrizzly said:

They just cruise around all match racking up damage grab a few caps and bang top of the scoreboard. 

Unless they are the only DD on your team, in which case you are in for a wild ride.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,396 posts
7,411 battles
36 minutes ago, Seagrizzly said:

I think that right there actually answers your question, though.

The Khab did over 20% damage to at least 6 ships.

[SC]
Alpha Tester
127 posts
5,448 battles

I guess I just feel like the saving a star thing sucks, and at tier 10 its even worse because you can run off farm damage and hide.  I feel like they should take that away and make more "safe ranks" because people are more fighting to not losing a star than win the match.  I am even guilty of it because why wouldn't you.  If you have done well in the match why would I want to sacrifice and possibly get killed in a close match when I can run farm damage until time or cap points run out.  I played ranked back when there was no save a star and it was so long ago I kind of forgot how it went and when they added it in I was stoked because that was about the time I was grinding the Fiji and I was top tier most matches I would say 8 out of 10 and I went up very fast but with the changes to spotting damage and such not playing a DD is where its at and a damage farming DD is the best way to go hands down.  Even the post above about people playing the khabs to piss people off is a sign that there is a balance issue.

Anyways just was wondering how it all works and if the khab truly has a benefit over the other ships and it seems in a capable drive it can do more damage than even caps and kills can cover.  

So in that match there was 4 dds 2 ca's and a bb so lets say that was 400k (not sure thats close but that many dd's I would say it is) available damage, I did 130k so that leaves say 270 and if he got 30% (well over requirement for confederate) of that that gets him around 80k damage  well below my 130, then I got 2 kills and one cap.  Of course we don't know how many caps he got but I am assuming 2 maybe 3 at best.  So he had a good game but to beat me by 100 base XP and others were close to us so I am sure they did things like cap and damage and such.  I was just trying to fathom how it all works so that I can farm more xp rather than helping my team win.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,396 posts
7,411 battles
28 minutes ago, Seagrizzly said:

I guess I just feel like the saving a star thing sucks, and at tier 10 its even worse because you can run off farm damage and hide.  I feel like they should take that away and make more "safe ranks" because people are more fighting to not losing a star than win the match.  I am even guilty of it because why wouldn't you.  If you have done well in the match why would I want to sacrifice and possibly get killed in a close match when I can run farm damage until time or cap points run out.  I played ranked back when there was no save a star and it was so long ago I kind of forgot how it went and when they added it in I was stoked because that was about the time I was grinding the Fiji and I was top tier most matches I would say 8 out of 10 and I went up very fast but with the changes to spotting damage and such not playing a DD is where its at and a damage farming DD is the best way to go hands down.  Even the post above about people playing the khabs to piss people off is a sign that there is a balance issue.

Anyways just was wondering how it all works and if the khab truly has a benefit over the other ships and it seems in a capable drive it can do more damage than even caps and kills can cover.  

So in that match there was 4 dds 2 ca's and a bb so lets say that was 400k (not sure thats close but that many dd's I would say it is) available damage, I did 130k so that leaves say 270 and if he got 30% (well over requirement for confederate) of that that gets him around 80k damage  well below my 130, then I got 2 kills and one cap.  Of course we don't know how many caps he got but I am assuming 2 maybe 3 at best.  So he had a good game but to beat me by 100 base XP and others were close to us so I am sure they did things like cap and damage and such.  I was just trying to fathom how it all works so that I can farm more xp rather than helping my team win.

It's 30% of each of the ships damaged.

So, it could be 30% each for the DD's and a cruiser, and then he's got confederate. High Caliber is the one that's all the team damage. And remember: XP for damage is based on the percentage of damage that you do to the target ship, plus a kicker if you get the kill, and I think it's modified up or down based on relative tier. (not relevant in ranked, obviously.)

Below are screenshots from one of my battles last night. I was top on the team, even though I didn't think I necessarily got as much done as I'd have liked.

I did almost all the damage to the Republique (84%) so I got most of the XP out of him. I did most of the damage to the Gearing (79.5%), and got the kill as well, so I got most of the XP plus the kicker for him. I'm not sure if there's any impact on XP (other than the damage) for the individual ribbons for flooding, fire, incapacitations, etc. I had 2 solo caps, plus a cap assist. I didn't have a tremendous amount of spotting damage (16,554) but I did okay on potential damage (just over a million DPM that the enemy wasted on me). Not sure how much of an impact any of that has.

(I'm not sure how it calculated the spotting damage, actually, because I'm only credited with spotting 1 warship and that had to have been the Gearing. There was nobody else in spotting range of him, so I was certainly the one that detected him, and I'm fairly certain nobody did 16,554 damage to him on top of my 15,438, because the math simply doesn't work on that, and nobody shot at him while I was killing him anyway.)

This was enough to put me on top of the team, and by quite a comfortable margin. Hope this helps you figure something out.

Now, I will offer you a word of caution on taking the Khab into ranked battles if you're not used to it. I've got almost 500 battles in her, between random and clan battles, and there are times in Ranked where I've still felt very much out of my depth. This is not a ship you can just jump into for the first time and go kick some tail in. It does not play like any other DD in the game. If you're going to get the most out of it, you're going to spend most of your time balancing, barefoot, on a razor blade. It is a high-stress ship to drive, but can have an impact on the team's success or failure that far outweighs the amount of damage you do, but the turn rate is so sluggish that you have to read every situation perfectly and react instantly or you're going to find yourself reduced to a notch on someone's headboard with a smug cruiser putting its pants back on and telling you there's some money on the dresser.

image.thumb.png.2db4dfea3eb0128dd4f7d3fe3580e444.png

image.thumb.png.9b8183337369a6dee4904de8653ebe9d.png

image.thumb.png.1052a032735ead1ebb54d3de621b8594.png

• Cool 1

[SC]
Alpha Tester
127 posts
5,448 battles

Hey thanks for the info on this, I see you did decent damage but also got those 2 solo caps and the assist so I assume that was way better than that hindi that got some sort of battle bonus.  I guess my point of this whole deal is the Khab might be the easiest ranked boat to farm with because the change of you getting caps be it alone or with friends is high due to her speed, the guns and damage from fire are also very good and she is super hard to hit for the DPM she can put out without getting herself into trouble.  Its not so much of a rant post as to pointing out that there might be some good advantage to running her in ranked and I would love to see numbers on the guys that are doing well and what boats they are playing.  

I see a lot of people stuck at rank 10 these days and I am in that boat myself.  I win a few games and then lose a bunch, also the best luck I have had so far is in my yueyang, but my henri seems useless, my zao is good and is similar to the khab but harder to disengage and has a citadel.  

Also as a side note I bought the Kiev back and my first match out in randoms I have 4 kills, 145k damage, confederate and 3 cap points and got like 12000xp so they are darn good boats.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,396 posts
7,411 battles
33 minutes ago, Seagrizzly said:

Hey thanks for the info on this, I see you did decent damage but also got those 2 solo caps and the assist so I assume that was way better than that hindi that got some sort of battle bonus. 

I don't recall for positive, but I think that was the Hindy that got the rest of the Republique, and it was first blood.

This was fought on Sleeping Giant, and we started in the south. I went straight for C, shima went to the east side of A. Rest of the team (I think) went around the west side of A. Once I finished capping C, I went to A and that's where the assisted in cap came from, shared with the Shima. In general, I do NOT like to go in there with Khab due to the turning radius issues and how quickly she bleeds speed in a turn. I bounced back out the east side and the Shima and I headed for B, which was empty by this point. I went left instead of straight to B to torp the republique and screw him up as much as possible, then handed him over to the hindy and capped B. (finished before shima could get there) shima went south for the kurfurst, but wound up back in the middle channel. I'd gotten a sniff of the gearing off to the east side of the map and went looking for him. (RPF is a wonderful thing when you're hunting a DD that can outspot you by almost double the range!) Killed him, headed back for C which had been capped by red, but the game was over before I could get there.

I guess my point of this whole deal is the Khab might be the easiest ranked boat to farm with

Whoa now, don't go getting all crazy on me here. This is NOT the case. You do NOT want to take Khab into any battle with actual consequences unless you're very comfortable running her first. She is VERY finicky and you need to really have a solid understanding of how she plays before you try this.

because the change of you getting caps be it alone or with friends is high due to her speed, the guns and damage from fire are also very good and she is super hard to hit for the DPM she can put out without getting herself into trouble. 

Wow. No. Nooooo!!!!

The chance of your friends getting caps while you support them is high. The chance of you getting caps is very very very low unless your enemy has been dumb and left them undefended, or unless it's the gimme cap at the beginning of the battle! High speed makes you difficult to hit... but you MUST keep in a very, very narrow bandwidth when it comes to range. Closer than 10k and your speed won't really matter. (unless you're murdering a battleship at <2k, then their turrets usually can't rotate fast enough to hit you, but that's almost always suicide anyway.)

She does NOT turn well. You will get yourself into trouble when there's an island anywhere within 5k of you. You are almost guarandamnteed to run around on it, even if it's the tiniest pinprick in an otherwise open sea, because you cannot turn.

You do NOT want to fight it out in a cap unless you have ZERO choice or if it's an ambush, or if you're just going to blow straight through it without stopping. She's fast, but she bleeds speed ridiculously quickly. Speed is life, and you get in a fight in a cap and there's a red cruiser nearby, and you're gonna get ... well, you're going to get used, and it won't be pretty.

High DPM... but it is SUPER easy to get yourself into trouble with her, and it's frequently going to be the kind of trouble you can NOT get out of again.

Support your friends capping, but don't try to take a cap that's defended. Bully the reds out of it and open the way for your friends.

Its not so much of a rant post as to pointing out that there might be some good advantage to running her in ranked and I would love to see numbers on the guys that are doing well and what boats they are playing.  

The advantage to running it in ranked is that there are relatively few people that know how to play her effectively. Because so few play her effectively, there are (correspondingly) fewer people who know how to counter her effectively. I'm pretty sure I'm going to see that advantage going away at rank 5.

On the other hand... there's a lot of people taking Khab into ranked who have not put in the time to learn their ship and git gud at it. The strategy with them is to ignore them until they run aground, then blap them because it will take them forever to get free and back up to speed.

Use Matchmaking Monitor in ranked (the most up-to-date version will show you stats from ranked season 9), and you'll get a pretty quick picture of things when you see a guy driving a Khab who's rank 9 but has 63 battles with 30 percent win rate, compared to a guy at rank 6 with 15 battles and a 90+ percent win rate.

I see a lot of people stuck at rank 10 these days and I am in that boat myself.  I win a few games and then lose a bunch, also the best luck I have had so far is in my yueyang, but my henri seems useless, my zao is good and is similar to the khab but harder to disengage and has a citadel.  

Khab is hard to disengage if you overextended. If you didn't overextend... don't disengage, unless you're moving to a different map position for some reason (new cap needed, your support needed somewhere, etc)

Also as a side note I bought the Kiev back and my first match out in randoms I have 4 kills, 145k damage, confederate and 3 cap points and got like 12000xp so they are darn good boats.

Try Khab out. It's fun... but it's DEFINITELY an acquired skill, and it needs practice.

[SC]
Alpha Tester
127 posts
5,448 battles

Thanks for the tips and info, had 3 more matches in my Kiev and all of them have been about the same, amazing boat.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,824 posts
9,575 battles
On 5/5/2018 at 3:12 PM, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

I know. That's why I do it. :cap_haloween:

Same. That's my plan when/if I make it to Rank 10.