Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sweetsie

Standard battle stratagies....

9 comments in this topic

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles

So, I am of the mindset that it is better to protect our base and use cover early and wait for the enemy to expose themselves or make mistakes by getting bored and over aggressive. I typically start a game with "push and perish or protect and profit" Or "pretend we have a keg of beer at our base, would you really leave it?" Simply trying to convey a message to stay close....

yet, inevitably, 4 ships rush to the west edge of the map and three rush to the eastern edge.....die and scream at me for doing nothing, camping, or bychyng. 

How do most of you play standard battles? Sometimes I feel like I am taking crazy pills watching BB's run to the edge of the map, it's like running a sweep to the short side of the field, I'll never understand it.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,606 battles

The strategy for Standard Battle is patience. The strategy for dealing with idiots... well, that's a different story.

[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,050 battles
1 hour ago, Sweetsie said:

So, I am of the mindset that it is better to protect our base and use cover early and wait for the enemy to expose themselves or make mistakes by getting bored and over aggressive. I typically start a game with "push and perish or protect and profit" Or "pretend we have a keg of beer at our base, would you really leave it?" Simply trying to convey a message to stay close....

yet, inevitably, 4 ships rush to the west edge of the map and three rush to the eastern edge.....die and scream at me for doing nothing, camping, or bychyng. 

How do most of you play standard battles? Sometimes I feel like I am taking crazy pills watching BB's run to the edge of the map, it's like running a sweep to the short side of the field, I'll never understand it.

Like you, I too think staying together and protect the base concentrate fire on encroaching ships will work just about every time. To get the team to do this, is most of the battle. Mostly it is sticking together and concentrating fire. You of course have to be somewhere that you can shoot at what the team is concentrating on.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SALVO]
Members
17,056 posts
17,716 battles
1 hour ago, Sweetsie said:

Sweetsie, I find this camp and protect strategy for Standard to be boring as hell.  And at the very least, I find it dumb because if you're too close to your base, you leave yourself with nowhere to fall back to.  I think that it's better to push out from the base at least until you make contact with the enemy before turning defensive.  That way, at least you've left yourself with some room in which to fall back.

Honestly though, I wish that WG could come up with a way to make this strategy obsolete.  I've tried thinking of ideas, but have yet to come up with one that I couldn't find the flaws in.

Members
1,019 posts
13,047 battles

Well now if both teams followed your strategy of waiting for the red team to attack the home base there would be no battle. At what point do the teams move forward to engage.

[TDRB]
Members
1,099 posts
4,193 battles

The old adage is "no battle plan survives after the 1st contact with the enemy." This is said of military units well trained and with a chain of command. We have a group of individuals placed randomly on a team with no leader.  IMO this is the main cause for all the salt we see in game & on this forum.

Battle strategy depends on the ability of your team and that is an unknown commodity.

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles
35 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Sweetsie, I find this camp and protect strategy for Standard to be boring as hell.  And at the very least, I find it dumb because if you're too close to your base, you leave yourself with nowhere to fall back to.  I think that it's better to push out from the base at least until you make contact with the enemy before turning defensive.  That way, at least you've left yourself with some room in which to fall back.

Honestly though, I wish that WG could come up with a way to make this strategy obsolete.  I've tried thinking of ideas, but have yet to come up with one that I couldn't find the flaws in.

I'm not saying I enjoy it, that's for sure. and I also don't mean to stay way back and defend, I simply mean to not rush straight at the enemy or to the edges of the map. Maybe if the caps moved slowly towards each other during the match....

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles
10 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

The old adage is "no battle plan survives after the 1st contact with the enemy." This is said of military units well trained and with a chain of command. We have a group of individuals placed randomly on a team with no leader.  IMO this is the main cause for all the salt we see in game & on this forum.

Battle strategy depends on the ability of your team and that is an unknown commodity.

Certainly agree with all you said.....just don't get the ones that put themselves in such a position that they can't defend or even attack the end up 4-5 squares from each base...

[TDRB]
Members
1,099 posts
4,193 battles

Certainly agree with all you said.....just don't get the ones that put themselves in such a position that they can't defend or even attack the end up 4-5 squares from each base...

It does get frustrating when you loose a battle because poor judgment on the part of some player.

Sign in to follow this