Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
southside721

Next Warship Advice

14 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
2,545 battles

So I've got a mess of XP and am trying to decide what ship to get next.  For the US, I have the BB Iowa and am wondering if the Montana is worth it.   Seems like a fatter slower Iowa albeit with better guns.  I also have the DD Fletcher but haven't been really thrilled with that, so I probably won't go for the Gearing yet.

For Germany I have the Bismarck (as well as the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau) but again the F. Der Grobe seems like a bigger slower Bismarck. 

With the UK, I have the KG V but heard the Monarch blows so I haven't advanced there.  I also have the Fiji (and did have the Edinburgh but sold it, I liked the Fiji better) and have heard good things about the Neptune so I'm considering that.

Or I could go into something new, the US or Japanese cruiser lines, I'd love the Des Moines but heard the grind to get there sucks until you get to the New Orleans.

Any thoughts?  I'm leaning Neptune but does anyone have any of these ships and can say yea or nay? 

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles

Maybe wait till the USN CA line split and see what comments come back about those, have you done anything with DD at all?

[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,579 battles
3 minutes ago, southside721 said:

So I've got a mess of XP and am trying to decide what ship to get next.  For the US, I have the BB Iowa and am wondering if the Montana is worth it.   Seems like a fatter slower Iowa albeit with better guns.  I also have the DD Fletcher but haven't been really thrilled with that, so I probably won't go for the Gearing yet.

For Germany I have the Bismarck (as well as the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau) but again the F. Der Grobe seems like a bigger slower Bismarck. 

With the UK, I have the KG V but heard the Monarch blows so I haven't advanced there.  I also have the Fiji (and did have the Edinburgh but sold it, I liked the Fiji better) and have heard good things about the Neptune so I'm considering that.

Or I could go into something new, the US or Japanese cruiser lines, I'd love the Des Moines but heard the grind to get there sucks until you get to the New Orleans.

Any thoughts?  I'm leaning Neptune but does anyone have any of these ships and can say yea or nay? 

Depending on how much XP you are actually talking about getting the New Orleans before the split (likely the end of the month) would get you the baltimore which is a much better ship and likely to be the same situation after the split too.  US cruisers are fine except for the Pensacola and New Orleans.  With that being said they are a very different style starting at the Pensacola so it is definitely advised to try grinding them if you can deal with it.  The lessons you learn will be valuable if you do learn them.

Japanese cruisers all play basically the same and are fine but not particularly influential.  Until t9 they also have really bad range, so they don't up tier well.

Unsure why you think Neptune will be a vast difference to Edinburgh.  Why did you dislike Edi more than Fiji?  Is that really going to be solved by going up a tier? 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,874 posts
5,259 battles
4 hours ago, southside721 said:

Montana is decent if you want a big, slow tier 10 BB.

FdG sucks, but GK is pretty good if you free xp to it.

Dont go past KGV in the British line.

US cruiser line was disappointing.

Have you considers French BBs?

Otherwise go with your Neptune.

Members
6 posts
2,545 battles
13 hours ago, mrh308 said:

Depending on how much XP you are actually talking about getting the New Orleans before the split (likely the end of the month) would get you the baltimore which is a much better ship and likely to be the same situation after the split too.  US cruisers are fine except for the Pensacola and New Orleans.  With that being said they are a very different style starting at the Pensacola so it is definitely advised to try grinding them if you can deal with it.  The lessons you learn will be valuable if you do learn them.

Japanese cruisers all play basically the same and are fine but not particularly influential.  Until t9 they also have really bad range, so they don't up tier well.

Unsure why you think Neptune will be a vast difference to Edinburgh.  Why did you dislike Edi more than Fiji?  Is that really going to be solved by going up a tier? 

Thanks, what is the split you're referring to?

I thought the Edinburgh was slower and just overall not as fast with the guns, etc.  I've asked a few people in battles who've had Neptune and they all liked it a lot better than Edinburgh.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
1 minute ago, southside721 said:

The USN cruiser split, light and heavy cruisers, here is a link to the T10 CL

Not sure when they're going to be released but we are seeing them getting tested in game atm, so it shouldn't be to long now.

[NAVY]
Members
1,009 posts
3,791 battles
3 minutes ago, southside721 said:

I thought the Edinburgh was slower and just overall not as fast with the guns, etc.  I've asked a few people in battles who've had Neptune and they all liked it a lot better than Edinburgh.

@mrh308 is talking about the upcoming U.S. cruiser line split. It is still being worked on and we don't know when it will happen, but several of the ships are on the test server already; so, the split is happening sooner than later.

The U.S. cruiser line will be split into a main "heavy" cruiser line and have a light cruiser line branch after the tier 5 Omaha starting at tier 6. The current tier 6 Cleveland is supposed to be moving up to tier 8 and the Dallas will be the new light cruiser at tier 6. The Pensacola, currently tier 7 on the US cruiser tech tree, will move down one spot on the main line to tier 6. Here is more on the upcoming U.S. cruiser line split from CC, NoZoupForYOu.

[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,579 battles
5 hours ago, southside721 said:

The other guys covered it pretty well.  The two ships you should try to own to get the most for the least is Cleveland and New Orleans.  With just those 2 you will get the heavy cruisers from t6-8 and the t8 light cruiser.

Fair enough.  Edi is basically the same as the Fiji on maneuverability and guns, but at a higher tier.  Its advantage is concealment through the t8 module and the option to run radar.  Neptune will be better if the guns are your main complaint.

[BSL]
Members
740 posts
14,567 battles
16 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

Dont go past KGV in the British line.

Conq is a fine BB as is GK and the frog boat.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,438 posts
21 hours ago, southside721 said:

I don’t have Iowa or Montana but I have heard really good things about them, my clan likes them and they seem to do really well in randoms and ranked. I’d say it’s worth it.

I have the kurf and the conq and I can say, emphatically, they are lots of fun and definitely worth it. Also, i liked the monarch though I know it is not without faults.

i loved Fiji, hated Edinburg, liked Neptune and enjoy (but seriously suck in it) Minotaur.

i have the zao. It’s fantastic. No gimmicks. Just really good guns, decent torps and really scoots around the map.

i didn’t mind the Indy. I thought the New Orleans was alright. I really like Baltimore. It just clicks with me I guess. I’m hoping Des Moines is worth it and not (for me) another Neptune to Minotaur disappointment.

german cruiser line is pretty solid tier 7 up. Gotta be careful with  citadels at 7 but after that they are tough and lethal.

us dd line is still fun

russian cruisers aren’t bad. Pretty one dimensional but guns are accurate.

Japanese B.B. line is pretty good. I skipped izumo. Yamato is worth it just for the sound the guns make.

Edited by thebigblue

[NG-NL]
Members
5,030 posts
8,269 battles
22 hours ago, southside721 said:

Montana is only a bit slower than Iowa, but same guns. Her accuracy is one of the best in-game next to Yamato. If you're good at judging when to tank, push, and aiming your MB, you'll like Montana. She's not agile though, I speak from running steering gear module on mine.

Freddy is a pain to do well in. Secondary build isn't as viable in high tier campfest, so I swapped mine out for survival/AA mix. Hear GK is a true beast, but haven't gotten there yet.

Monarch eats regular pens by the ton if shows broadside, but she's very stealthy. My only complaint is her limited MB range makes uptiering a little tricky--but angled, she is pretty durable.

I'm only up to Pensacola. US cruiser line is more for mid- and close-range duels where their AP shines. High tier campfest means they have to spend a lot of time behind cover w/ radar available, especially without torpedoes, they cannot brawl other nations' cruisers too well.

I'm up the Zao. Aoba, Ibuki, and Zao are the best IJN cruisers at their tiers. Myoko struggles with her MB rotation, and all IJN cruisers have an easy-to-hit citadel. On other hand, they stealth very well, have powerful HE shells (I've done as much as 12K in a single HE salvo), and if survive to latter half of match, they can be very frustrating for enemy team.

Neptune is excellent. Play per the campfest meta and you'll enjoy her.

Members
6 posts
2,545 battles
4 hours ago, mrh308 said:

The other guys covered it pretty well.  The two ships you should try to own to get the most for the least is Cleveland and New Orleans.  With just those 2 you will get the heavy cruisers from t6-8 and the t8 light cruiser.

Fair enough.  Edi is basically the same as the Fiji on maneuverability and guns, but at a higher tier.  Its advantage is concealment through the t8 module and the option to run radar.  Neptune will be better if the guns are your main complaint.

Ok great, thanks everyone for the clips and input, I hadn't seen that about the split but I don't pay as much attention to the news.  With my points I can research several USN cruisers so I think I'll jump into that line for now, especially since it seems advantageous with the split coming.  So just so I understand, say I get the Tier VI Cleveland now, she jumps to the VIII Light cruiser, does the ship stay the same or will there be new upgrades/modules to research, etc?  Or, does just the fact that she's out of the "full" tech tree and will be fighting more light cruisers be the advantage?

Trying to decide which cruisers to keep and which to immediately sell for coin.  i.e. the Pensacola, if she drops from a VII to a VI maybe she won't be such a clunker...

Thanks again for the tips on the other ships too everyone.

[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,579 battles
2 hours ago, southside721 said:

Ok great, thanks everyone for the clips and input, I hadn't seen that about the split but I don't pay as much attention to the news.  With my points I can research several USN cruisers so I think I'll jump into that line for now, especially since it seems advantageous with the split coming.  So just so I understand, say I get the Tier VI Cleveland now, she jumps to the VIII Light cruiser, does the ship stay the same or will there be new upgrades/modules to research, etc?  Or, does just the fact that she's out of the "full" tech tree and will be fighting more light cruisers be the advantage?

Trying to decide which cruisers to keep and which to immediately sell for coin.  i.e. the Pensacola, if she drops from a VII to a VI maybe she won't be such a clunker...

Thanks again for the tips on the other ships too everyone.

The two that you need to keep to get the maximum per ship is Cleveland and New Orleans.  You will get 4 ships for owning 2.  Any additional ships will just be extra silver for no extra reward unless you can get to the tier 9.  Then you would have 5 for owning 3.  To be clear you do need to have these ships in your port, not just unlocked to get the full benefits.  Unlocking them will keep the same tier unlocked but you won't get the free extra ships without owning them.

The ships are still being tested but the Cleveland is going to be basically the same ship, but with some slight buffs, access to radar, and the concealment module ships get at tier 8.  Its hard to say if it will really be an advantage or not.  Generally the things I've heard is that the heavy cruisers are solid and the light cruisers still need work.  Everything can potentially change though it is unlikely too much will.  The big deal with the Cleveland is you get a tier 8 for tier 6 silver and xp if you have it in port at the time of the split.  No guarantee it will be great, though it should at the very least have good AA and be a dominant DD killer with its radar and rate of fire.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,876 posts
1,338 battles
4 hours ago, thebigblue said:

i didn’t mind the Indy. I thought the New Orleans was alright. I really like Baltimore. It just clicks with me I guess. I’m hoping Des Moines is worth it and not (for me) another Neptune to Minotaur disappointment.

Seems like the USN cruisers (and older BBs) are either good or trash to people.  Not much in between.  

Sign in to follow this