You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Sea Trials Saturday - The Learning Curve

27 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
900 posts
5,964 battles

Dcbz_ihU8AAdhTh.jpg

Which vessel was the most difficult for you to get qualified on?

British cruisers, particularly the Belfast, were difficult to to play when I first acquired them.

But through trial and error (and more errors) I managed to find the right play style for them.

Which ship gave you the most blood, sweat, and tears?

https://twitter.com/WorldofWarships/status/992780965498925056

#seatrialssaturday

#anchorsaweigh

[SUCIT]
Members
827 posts
3,630 battles

I don't have a problem with any ships in the game, but the hardest to learn and master are for sure UK CLs, followed by IJN DDs.  

The UK CL line is very unforgiving and requires good positioning and situational awareness to actually be utilized properly.  IJN DDs require a good MM spread and people to be oblivious to you for most of the game to have an actual effect on the outcome most games.  They're very feast of famine ships.  

[NGA]
[NGA]
Supertester
183 posts
5,142 battles

The earlier tiered american battleships were the bane of my existance! So slow, so inaccurate, it was horrible up until the new mexico... which was worth it and is currently my favorite ship in the game!

• Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,582 posts
3,751 battles

Not an expert by any means, but I think high tier CVs. Learning to micromanage loads of squads must require alot of experience and learning to pull off successfully. As for my case, would most likely be the Pepsicola the one I had more issues with, but after a break managed to work with it, making it even likeable.

Members
29 posts
259 battles

Thre U.S Cruiser line has a sharp learning curve by the way of Cleveland and Omaha before those ships I could get into a braw with another ship and not get insta deleted. 

[DAY]
Members
1,185 posts
11,759 battles

i have a serious face desk reading this post..... 

seriously? payfast? with so many ships that actually require skill out there,  payfast?

for me i would say atlanta

with horrible concealment and paper armour, any mistake in positioning and you are instantly back in port

but it's super short reach also means you cant be playing her too "safe", unless you want 0 enemy to enter your gun range for the entire match

• Cool 3

[INTEL]
Members
6,664 posts
25,773 battles

Highest learning curve to do well in?

• Atlanta
  • Kidd
  • Akizuki
  • high tier CVs

Alpha Tester
1,071 posts
4,505 battles

The jump from the Colorado to the North Carolina really threw me. I did really well with USN BBs up to that point culminating in a 67% WR with the Colorado. I finished in the North Carolina at 47%. With thirty battles in the Iowa I'm sitting at 40% and it's been collecting dust in my port for several months now. For some reason it was really hard for me to figure out how much lead to give someone and it killed my drive to get to the Montana. After running through the Missouri for 200 some odd battles and maintaining a 55%w WR maybe it's time to revisit that.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,622 battles

I think without a doubt it's CVs :Smile_sceptic:

Surface ship wise... has to be like kiting cruisers. Still can't make heads or tails of them.

Another very frustrating ship... the Turdzumo.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,674 posts
9,071 battles

The steepest learning curve to the point of surpassing EVE's learning curve is CV's. Few are able to even play them simply well let alone excel. A top player in any other ship will usually beat a lesser player in the same ship but not in the steamroll fashion that happens with CV's.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,674 posts
9,071 battles
Just now, pikohan said:

I think without a doubt it's CVs :Smile_sceptic:

Surface ship wise... has to be like kiting cruisers. Still can't make heads or tails of them.

Another very frustrating ship... the Turdzumo.

Great minds on the CV's.

For cruisers you have to dance, never staying on a steady bearing.

The Izumo, I miss making the jump from the Amagi straight to the Yamato, it was far less frustrating.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,973 posts
7,530 battles

RN cruisers have been the line I've had the most trouble with from top to bottom. Each ship in the line is an instant deletion waiting to happen if you aren't 100% on your game, none of them are particularly forgiving. I feel so sorry for anyone whose first line was the RN cruisers.

Members
161 posts
1,304 battles

USN cruisers, including the Cleveland (everyone says it's awesome but I never did well with it). The only thing they have are guns (and shorter range guns at that) with no way to mitigate damage. You're supposed to be sneaky with them but I found that really hard with their short range (and shorter effective range) guns and large detectability.

Members
293 posts
9,509 battles

It would be Huanghe, that is if anyone was actually crazy enough to play it on a regular basis. Most just leave it sitting in port. It's a tier 6 that has no alpha strike ability, 0 armor, slow turret rotation, and an exposed citadel. Compound that with a weak torpedo system that only has 3 torps on a fixed, narrow spread that makes it near impossible to hit anything at ranges beyond point blank. it doesn't have protected matchmaking so it regularly sees tier 8 ships that can mop the floor with huanghe's [edited]. In fact, I don't think there is a single cruiser above tier 5 that huanghe can match up against. Above all its greatest flaw is it relies on the team it is on to do the heavy lifting, damage and spotting wise. If the team as a whole sucks then there is nothing huanghe can do about it. Huanghe gets weaker as the endgame approaches and more ships die off. Contrast that with the Perth that is one of the best endgame ships in the game & you can really see just how difficult the Huanghe is to play...

Only the best of the best can make Huanghe work on a regular basis, as such I nominate Huanghe as the ship with the highest learning curve / skill ceiling in the game...

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles

I'd have to say the Pensacola. It's my least favorite CA and took forever to learn it. Has paper thin armor. The citadel gets penetrated on the bow even! Can't push a flank or you'll be on the ocean floor if a BB even sneezes. I've never heard anyone say they enjoy playing the Pensacola.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,732 posts

Furutaka. IJN cruisers was the first line I went up a couple years ago, and I was loving the Furutaka until I pulled Ocean map again and again and again. Bottom tier matchmaking, 17 km detect, 14 km guns, with no islands never did figure it out, unlocked the Aoba and stopped. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,674 posts
9,071 battles
33 minutes ago, Rpkscout1 said:

I'd have to say the Pensacola. It's my least favorite CA and took forever to learn it. Has paper thin armor. The citadel gets penetrated on the bow even! Can't push a flank or you'll be on the ocean floor if a BB even sneezes. I've never heard anyone say they enjoy playing the Pensacola.

26 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

Furutaka. IJN cruisers was the first line I went up a couple years ago, and I was loving the Furutaka until I pulled Ocean map again and again and again. Bottom tier matchmaking, 17 km detect, 14 km guns, with no islands never did figure it out, unlocked the Aoba and stopped. 

The jump from CL's to CA's is more than a bit of a shock.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,997 battles

Ships:

CV's - entire class you're playing RTS all the time.

Atlanta -you will be fighting CQB and the moment your spotted, will you might as well it the esc key.

Izumo- totally painful.

47 minutes ago, bigalow87 said:

Contrast that with the Perth that is one of the best endgame ships in the game & you can really see just how difficult the Huanghe is to play...

Unless it's your Perth vs 6 red tm ships. lol

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles

Most ships in the game have a higher ceiling than people give them credit for.

As for which learning curve is the steepest, probably mid-tier CAs across the board, particularly Pensacola.

[INTEL]
Members
8,588 posts
25,732 battles

Any ship that requires very smart positional play and tons of patience -- Atlanta, IJN torp boats, Akizuki, Des Moines, the US standard BBs...

Members
293 posts
9,509 battles
7 hours ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Unless it's your Perth vs 6 red tm ships. lol

Damn near got a solo warrior in Perth last week, time expired before my torps hit the last ship.

Anyway, further to my above point, here is one of the quickest buttkickings i have ever received, courtesy of Huanghe. From detection to 1st puff of smoke couldn't have been more than 3 seconds, but this ship doesn't get any second chances...

shot-18_05_05_22_10.17-0433.thumb.jpg.7e6e76566cdaec5eca0eaf209eb94e2d.jpg

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Biggest skill wall for a specific ship? So far for me? Myoko. Aoba and Furutaka were SO much more forgiving. I've had to unlearn a lot of what went into them and I still can't get the dang thing to work half the time. Hopefully I'll get better acquainted and be able to unlock more of her potential further along in the grind.

[RLGN]
Members
8,275 posts
17,307 battles

Anything RN past Emerald. Despite what so many say; I consider every last one of them I've played, (Belfast, Leander, Fiji, and Edinburogh,) to be utter garbage and a complete waste of time.

Anything RU past Budyonny; if a crewman spits or drops a screwdriver, or a seagull takes a dump on one, they just explode.

Des Moines specifically.

The ship I joined the game and wanted to play the most, because of USS Salem...

...I can't use the thing worth a flying flip. I'm never in the right place, I watch her AP shells go into an enemy for jack squat damage, then get citadeled to death in return, (even when angled,) and my damage and W/R in it are pathetic.

Because of my experience with it, it hasn't been out for over a year and a half, and I have little if any desire to aquire further Tier 10 ships.

Thanks to my original reason to start playing being so completely destroyed, I now have no long term 'goals,' in Warships, other than whatever seem worth playing on any given day.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,348 posts
4,275 battles
17 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I feel so sorry for anyone whose first line was the RN cruisers.

*Raises hand*

I did it because of historical interest, but on the basis of my experience, if I had my time again I'd take US destroyers first.

If I were to start a second account on another server, I would free-XP to the Leander - but ONLY because I've already played them all.

The cure for the Emerald in particular is Priority Target, but I'm not sure whether that's making a difference now because of the skill itself or because I've accumulated a lot more experience since I finished grinding her.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,997 battles
11 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Anything RN past Emerald. Despite what so many say; I consider every last one of them I've played, (Belfast, Leander, Fiji, and Edinburogh,) to be utter garbage and a complete waste of time.

Dunno.. Belfast is considered an OP ship by many, I use her primarily for stat padding.

11 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

...I can't use the thing worth a flying flip. I'm never in the right place, I watch her AP shells go into an enemy for jack squat damage, then get citadeled to death in return, (even when angled,) and my damage and W/R in it are pathetic.

I suggest going to YouTube on how to DM or around here.