You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KGBNinja

How to Gneisenau?

8 comments in this topic

Members
22 posts
469 battles

Just got it, any tips? I get the feeling it plays alot different than the Bayern

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,316 battles

You gotta get in close and brawl people, but at the same time avoid letting yourself get kited or overextended. Use your secondaries against destroyers, guns against cruisers, torpedoes against battleships and manoeuvrability to avoid damage. At the same time, you don't want to push so hard that you end up brawling against people you can't beat (particularly higher tier BBs that can overmatch your bow).

Honestly, my main recommendation for now would be to stick to tier 6 for a few hundred more battles. If you enjoy it, by all means play a few higher tier battles, but don't expect to do particularly well. Being familiar with the ships around you is a surprisingly big advantage, and mistakes tend to be punished more heavily at higher tiers, which can be frustrating and will hinder your learning of the game mechanics.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,237 posts
4,803 battles

You have a Scharnhorst with Tirpitz guns.. anything beyond 10km is a crap shoot if they hit they'll hurt though...

I use a full secondary build with AR forget CE your a bar brawler play agressive bow on to them and torp at point blank. Try to position yourself so you can quickly do a 180 and torp them again.. DDs are your HE and secondaries favorite snack just remember you have a slow reload so make the first salvo count and cut before they torp you...

Alpha Tester
1,071 posts
4,505 battles

Put front towards enemy and play aggressively. It's tanks pretty well as long as you stay at good angles and don't overextend into a crossfire (you don't have to go full speed and be the first one there every time). It excels at supporting caps and bullying cruisers and destroyers thanks to its secondaries. What captain skills and modules are you running? The Gneisenau is the Bismarck Lite and what you learn it it will carry over to the next tier. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,217 battles

I gneisenaued with free EXP. Not very helpful, I know but GOD I couldn't get to grips with that ship and it was one I really wanted to love.

[ODIN]
[ODIN]
Members
456 posts
13,323 battles

Accept that you'll get the majority of your damage in the mid to late game. Your guns are just inaccurate at long ranges and charging in too soon makes you easy to focus or torpedo bait.  Take your time, take shots you can while supporting your friendlies but don't get upset when your dispersion screws you. Mid to late game, you judge when it's best, charge in and put all your damage causing assets and speed to use.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,327 posts
6,609 battles

Don‘t expect your guns to be accurate, or to dish out a lot of damage in a single salvo. If they do, be happy and grateful. If they don‘t, then don‘t be disappointed.

1,542 posts
26 battles

She's a quick boat that can really keep up with the cruisers. She can brawl but best to keep an eye on your sides- always face head on to the enemy. She can zip in and blitz with the best of them but doesn't have a great deal of armor so be careful to avoid getting into too much trouble