Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ArgosRising

Pan-Asian: To Radar or not to Radar?

11 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
242 posts
642 battles

So, this is probably a stupid question. (I am full of those.)

But when one gets to the Hsienyang-Yueyang in the Pan-Asian line and gets access to radar, is there really any case to make to sacrificing smoke for it? 

 

I ask this because I love to be a cap bully, and most of all I love killing Destroyers. Obviously the DWT aren't any good against DDs in cap, but the guns should be enough to take care of business on that side. The reason I ask is because I would love to move into a cap, spot a DD and kill it even if it's hiding in smoke. Now the german DDs have hydro, but they get out-spotted by everything, so I feel like you're always sacrificing health to get into a position to attack this way. With the Radar you might be able to engage a destroyer, bait smoke and then radar them for a kill secure. So I am just curious, is radar a viable option (even for surprise utility value?) or is it just asking to die early? 

I am especially interested in hearing from anyone who's had a fair bit of experience in both.

 

Thanks!

o7 Argos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
599
[ARRGG]
Members
4,731 posts
7,569 battles

I’ve gone down the PanAsian line and one thing becomes readily apparent, because of your Deepwater Torps your at a disadvantage in fighting other DDs you do have one of the lowest Detections  but this is somewhat negated by Radar 

I try and cap with anothe DD or leave myself an escape route,it’s not the best capper

ive tried Rada with limited success and went back to smoke, the Radar did not work that well in a DD knife fight it did however perform exceptionally well if you got good support from your teammates this however is so inconsistent I’m sticking with smoke

what the Pan Asian line excels at because of its low detection and it’s deep water Torps is sneaking up the backside and sending them Torps at enemy’s   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,936 posts

I'm not a good dd player but I watch the best DD players on streams and they seem to take radar over smoke.

 

At high tiers sitting in smoke is like a big "PLEASE SEND 15 HIGH SPEED TORPS HERE",  and your team no longer benefits nearly as much from smoke firing, plus radar and hydro

At best smoke seems to be like a squid ink cloud to disengage or for late game BB farming after enemy DDs are gone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
380
[DAY]
Members
1,178 posts
11,705 battles

ask Binx_Lucky

i remember him climbing to rank 1 last season with a radar hsienyang, and he did that with fairly good win rate

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
242 posts
642 battles
6 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

this however is so inconsistent

This is what I wondered about. Amazing when it works, but probably few and far between when you want Radar over Smoke.

 

3 minutes ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

I'm not a good dd player but I watch the best DD players on streams and they seem to take radar over smoke.

 

At high tiers sitting in smoke is like a big "PLEASE SEND 15 HIGH SPEED TORPS HERE",  and your team no longer benefits nearly as much from smoke firing, plus radar and hydro

Very interesting perspective. Do you have names for some of these streamers so that I might check them out? 

 

2 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

ask Binx_Lucky

i remember him climbing to rank 1 last season with a radar hsienyang, and he did that with fairly good win rate

@Binx_Lucky apparently I am supposed to summon you :fish_book:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,149 posts
3,141 battles

Solo, I'd go with smoke. If you're in a division (especially with other dds) I'd go radar. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
242 posts
642 battles
2 minutes ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

Flambass, hes actually streaming now in Yueyang (radar) and Gearing in ranked

Okay, cool. I'll check out his stream of it when I get home. Thanks. 

 

2 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

Solo, I'd go with smoke. If you're in a division (especially with other dds) I'd go radar. 

I was kinda thinking this might be the case. Will need coordination to really get the value out of radar, and can't rely on randoms for that generally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
135
[ODIN]
[ODIN]
Members
456 posts
13,323 battles

This is more theory than anything but I would say it depends o  how you want to play. Leading the way or finishing the fight.

 

I'm basing this off the German destroyers. If I want to contest a cap I'll lead in and use my hydro to spot threats and my smoke to conceal myself and any team mates behind me. 

However, If I feel like killing destroyers I follow a friendly destroyer in. I give a considerable distance and wait for him to encounter the enemy destroyer. They'll begin to knife fight and both pop smoke, at least a large portion of the time. Once that smoke is up I move in with the hydro to spot and finish the weakened enemy. With two smoke clouds down you have a really good chance of passing between them unnoticed and delivering a killing blow. Yes, it sort "uses" your friendly as bait but I consider that the closest you can get to team play at times. With the gun performance of the Pan Asians being similar or the same to the Americans, if say this is a viable strategy. You may also get to cap as well using the enemy smoke to conceal yourself, depending on the situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,836 posts
10,762 battles

Fighting other DDs is not my game. My DDs are torp boats mostly but I also cap as much as possible. And that's why I have radar with YueYang. Why? Cuz it's the perfect tool to scare other DDs off the cap. 

I am also used to TRB Kagero and Yugumo so surviving without smoke is not that big of a deal.

The key of using radar in random and ranked is just like CB: do not try to kill the spotted DDs yourself. Let your team do the work. It's not as coordinated as in CB or a div. But with careful planning, you can still allow your team to put a big hurt on them. And even if not, they will still get the F out of your way in a hurry. Still a win.

Edited by chewonit
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
242 posts
642 battles
4 minutes ago, Spieges said:

However, If I feel like killing destroyers I follow a friendly destroyer in. I give a considerable distance and wait for him to encounter the enemy destroyer. They'll begin to knife fight and both pop smoke, at least a large portion of the time. Once that smoke is up I move in with the hydro to spot and finish the weakened enemy. With two smoke clouds down you have a really good chance of passing between them unnoticed and delivering a killing blow. Yes, it sort "uses" your friendly as bait but I consider that the closest you can get to team play at times. With the gun performance of the Pan Asians being similar or the same to the Americans, if say this is a viable strategy. You may also get to cap as well using the enemy smoke to conceal yourself, depending on the situation. 

I've always been a very "lead the charge" kind of guy.. but this is an interesting angle I hadn't even considered before. :cap_yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×