Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

USN Reactivating 2nd Fleet for Atlantic duties

10 comments in this topic

[POP]
Beta Testers
291 posts
10,516 battles

The fleet will be activated on July 1 and initially be staffed by 11 officers and four enlisted personnel, eventually growing to 85 officers, 164 enlisted personnel, and seven civilians, according to a memo announcing the change obtained by US Naval Institute News. So I'm guessing that this is gonna be a small fleet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,348 posts
9,546 battles

Sounds like an administrative change so they can make a desk for an Admiral.

Members
1,788 posts
5,664 battles

No that is the command staff, Once the fleet is active 100 ships can be assigned overnight!!:cap_rambo:

[KNMSU]
Members
3,372 posts
4,003 battles

More of an off-topic thread, I think, or something like that.

I wonder if they regret closing Brunswick NAS now? If the Russians are the "new" enemy, that was really our primary North Atlantic submarine hunting base. 

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,336 posts
3,959 battles
On 5/5/2018 at 2:42 PM, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

More of an off-topic thread, I think, or something like that.

I wonder if they regret closing Brunswick NAS now? If the Russians are the "new" enemy, that was really our primary North Atlantic submarine hunting base. 

To be fair, the Russians were always one of our bitter world rivals.  That and the East in general (Japan first, now China)...

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,576 posts
On 5/5/2018 at 11:09 AM, Raven114 said:

No that is the command staff, Once the fleet is active 100 ships can be assigned overnight!!:cap_rambo:

Ah yes, your mothball fleet. I can't wait to see them become artificial reefs in the first engagement

• Bad 1

[KNMSU]
Members
3,372 posts
4,003 battles
3 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

Ah yes, your mothball fleet. I can't wait to see them become artificial reefs in the first engagement

I'm pretty sure our mothball fleet could still single-handedly sink 95% of the Navies on the planet combined. The disparity between the strength of the USN compared to other so-called first-rate naval powers is immense - and the only nations even worth mentioning as an aside are all our close and deeply reliable allies. The disparity only grows larger when you toss NATO and NATO-friendly countries into the mix.

It's possible to have a debate about army or air force parity involving, say, Russia or China, respectively, but any future naval war where you're not asking the USN to, like, hump a hostile coastline, or something (where an enemy can bring land-based missiles to bear), is pretty much silliness.

[NAVY]
Members
1,009 posts
3,791 battles

@Battlecruiser_NewZealand while the U.S. NDRF, aka mothball fleet, could certainly be reactivated, to count on them to be an effective fighting force against a major, modern naval adversary, although certainly a heroic act, I would consider it to be a futile and last-ditch defensive effort when all other resources were exhausted. In years past, when the NDRF ships were activated, they were mainly done so to serve in a support role.

How would NDRF ships fare in a modern naval battle or conflict? Are there any ships that could hold their own? The one exception would be the Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigates @Chobittsu . Although retired from USN service, a number of Perry's remain active with the Australian, Egyptian, Polish, Spanish, and Turkish navies. Around 22 vessels or so.  However, to my knowledge as far as the USN is concerned, I believe there are only 12 viable ships that could be readied for service. That is certainly not a large enough fleet to take on any of the modern naval powers.

There may be some other ships that are capable, but if so, I am not up-to-date on that info. I do know that there was a proposal to reactivate the USS Kitty Hawk, CV-63, at one time; however, that plan has since been tabled and trashed. Now, her fate appears to be destined for the scrap yards unless enough private funds can be raised to save her as a ship museum.

Sign in to follow this