You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aurora_7

When aluminum beats steel....

30 comments in this topic

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
149 posts
2,120 battles

I hate planes. I absolutely hate them.

Many a time when I'm happily pounding cruisers and battleships in my Myogi at a distance (and I just love the effect of a well placed AP round on a destroyer) I'm suddenly surrounded by a swarm of torpedoes -sometimes on two sides. 

Now I can identify with how Chuichi Nagumo must have felt at Midway.

When tens of thousand of tons gets taken out by flimsy kites. -it ain't right.

Damn aluminum flies.

Curse you flat top guys. 

Edited by Aurora_7
venting more
  • Funny 4

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,966 battles
38 minutes ago, Aurora_7 said:

Many a time when I'm happily pounding cruisers and battleships in my Myogi at a distance (and I just love the effect of a well placed AP round on a destroyer) I'm suddenly surrounded by a swarm of torpedoes -sometimes on two sides. 

[edited] aluminum flies.

Curse you flat top guys. 

Lol this is why I make sure my Battleships in particular are well eqquiped with AA skills, Signal Flags, Catapult Fighters, And sometimes even AA equipment. Because I use CVs as well as have healthy respect for them, so if a CV even considers coming close their planes will be falling from the sky...

[YORHA]
Members
3,325 posts
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol this is why I make sure my Battleships in particular are well eqquiped with AA skills, Signal Flags, Catapult Fighters, And sometimes even AA equipment. Because I use CVs as well as have healthy respect for them, so if a CV even considers coming close their planes will be falling from the sky...

HIs top tier BB so far is Myogi, with Turenne and Kawachi as the only others. And no amount of flags or camo is going to improve the AA on those.  If you get into a match with 2 seal clubbing CVs on the red side you are dead.

Edited by JCC45

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
149 posts
2,120 battles

I us my Furutaka a lot more and it has some AA that's knocked down a fighter or two -plus a seaplane fighter that's saved my neck from a torpedo plan more than once. 

With the BB, I try to stick around cruisers for AA help. 

[HRDP]
Members
2,716 posts
8,278 battles
1 minute ago, Aurora_7 said:

I us my Furutaka a lot more and it has some AA that's knocked down a fighter or two -plus a seaplane fighter that's saved my neck from a torpedo plan more than once. 

With the BB, I try to stick around cruisers for AA help. 

there are cruisers with AA at T4?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

The Orion battleship is the best AA at T4.

It displaces the Hermelin as top of the AA capability below tier 5.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,191 battles
39 minutes ago, ryuukei8569 said:

there are cruisers with AA at T4?

Yes ... Yes there are!

23 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

The Orion battleship is the best AA at T4.

I have a cruiser that is laughing at you, and this statement! And it's a tier 4.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles
33 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Yes ... Yes there are!

I have a cruiser that is laughing at you, and this statement! And it's a tier 4.

Is it called “Yübari” by any chance?

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,966 battles
2 hours ago, JCC45 said:

HIs top tier BB so far is Myogi, with Turenne and Kawachi as the only others. And no amount of flags or camo is going to improve the AA on those.  If you get into a match with 2 seal clubbing CVs on the red side you are dead.

Yeah you definately would need Basic Fire Training and Advanced Fire Training to give the AA some teeth.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles
3 hours ago, Aurora_7 said:

Damn aluminum flies.

Curse you flat top guys. 

BB were considered the most powerful ships of their time, but time changes and the CV emerged, naval combat between BB showed a hit rate of only 2 - 3 %, planes were more effective, but your right curse those guys 

2 hours ago, JCC45 said:

HIs top tier BB so far is Myogi, with Turenne and Kawachi as the only other

And yes he stated that he was using a Myogi, there is no need to attempt to ship shame him on what he has, this isn't a complaint thread like so many others.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,244 posts
1,822 battles
3 hours ago, Aurora_7 said:

Damn aluminum flies.

Curse you flat top guys. 

Myogi actually has fairly decent AA at Tier IV, but it is a long ship that doesn't turn very well.  Best bet, islands allowing, when you are being attacked by torpedo bombers is to turn into the attack as soon as you realize it is happening.  Cutting throttle to 1/2 can help as well.

Don't get suckered into using your damage control to put out fires started by the dive bombers.  Hold onto it until the torpedo bombers have done their thing.  Fire damage is 100% repairable, flooding damage not so much (10% IIRC) and flooding does more damage.

[YORHA]
Members
3,325 posts
9 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

And yes he stated that he was using a Myogi, there is no need to attempt to ship shame him on what he has, this isn't a complaint thread like so many others.

Ship shaming?    SHIP SHAMING?    WHAT IN THE EVER LOVIN' HELL IS  SHIP SHAMING???

My point (which obviously went whizzing way over your head) is that, at that tier, with those ships, decent AA is non-existent.  And if your desperate need to be the smartest guy in the room could have just abated for a few seconds you might have noticed the part where I said the if any of those ships are under a  focused attack by someone in a CV that knows what they are doing there is nothing anyone can do to defend yourself.

Ship shaming. 

Honest to God I have heard it all now.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles

11 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Myogi actually has fairly decent AA at Tier IV, but it is a long ship that doesn't turn very well.  Best bet, islands allowing, when you are being attacked by torpedo bombers is to turn into the attack as soon as you realize it is happening.  Cutting throttle to 1/2 can help as well.

I don't see where it has any AA, it doesn't even have an AA rating, and an Asashio with 2 AA guns gets a 9, 

8 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

Ship shaming?    SHIP SHAMING?    WHAT IN THE EVER LOVIN' HELL IS  SHIP SHAMING???

I was waiting for the correct time to use my new phrase, TY for your input much appreciated, you dirty ship shamer LOL

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,244 posts
1,822 battles
5 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I don't see where it has any AA, it doesn't even have an AA rating, and an Asashio with 2 AA guns gets a 9, 

Which hull are you looking at?  I hated Myogi and it caused me to quite the game for quite a while, but I recall being happy with two aspects of it, the AA on the final hull and the speed.  Well, the hit point pool was good too.

Wiki says C hull has 6/8 AA guns.  Doesn't give the AA rating though.

Edited by Helstrem
Add Wiki info

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles
3 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Which hull are you looking at?  I hated Myogi and it caused me to quite the game for quite a while, but I recall being happy with two aspects of it, the AA on the final hull and the speed.  Well, the hit point pool was good too.

Yep I see it on the c hull, a lot of players were able to play those ships without ever seeing a CV when they did a restart on everyone, so AA was never a concern.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,244 posts
1,822 battles
1 minute ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Yep I see it on the c hull, a lot of players were able to play those ships without ever seeing a CV when they did a restart on everyone, so AA was never a concern.

That wasn't my experience.  Because Tier IV CVs are easy to get you see a lot of them, with drastic swings in the player's capability.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles
1 minute ago, Helstrem said:

That wasn't my experience.  Because Tier IV CVs are easy to get you see a lot of them, with drastic swings in the player's capability.

You had to go through the Myogi to get to the CV first, so we were lucky in that sense.  But that is what I did, so I was one of those people who took advantage of the Arkansas beta BB, that has absolutely no AA at all.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

The best the Hermelin can do is 35 - and that's using it's dual purpose main guns (same as the top hull Gneisenau AA).

I stand by my statement.

AA_Orion.jpg

AA_Yubari.jpg

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,244 posts
1,822 battles
2 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

You had to go through the Myogi to get to the CV first, so we were lucky in that sense.  But that is what I did, so I was one of those people who took advantage of the Arkansas beta BB, that has absolutely no AA at all.

Yes, I dislike being targeted heavily by CVs while using Arkansas Beta.  It is fairly agile though so unless you are facing a seal clubber you can often mitigate a lot of the damage.

1 minute ago, AVR_Project said:

The best the Hermelin can do is 35 - and that's using it's dual purpose main guns (same as the top hull Gneisenau AA).

I stand by my statement.

Sure.  That is quite good.  It can't actually see any airplanes, not ever, even fail divisioned.

You are technically correct, the best kind of correct.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

And to be sure...   Orion versus Hosho..   I could possibly taken on two.

AA_Orion1.jpg

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,835 posts
1,327 battles
4 hours ago, JCC45 said:

Yeah, Myogi has some of the worst AA at that tier (any tier, really).  Unless your buddy with Texas is steaming with you...

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,244 posts
1,822 battles

Returning to this thread reminded me of this picture, which I once saw described as 70,000 tons of steel fighting for its life against a couple of hundred tons of aluminium.

yamato_art_02.jpg.45b4bf151a303aa8eab0a8ba3c0182c3.jpg

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,191 battles
3 hours ago, GabeTheDespot said:

Is it called “Yübari” by any chance?

Of course it is.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,835 posts
1,327 battles
5 hours ago, Aurora_7 said:

Sure.  Ask Musashi, Yamato, Arizona, Oklahoma, California, Tennessee, West Virginia, Nevada, Prince of Wales, Repulse what sunk them.   There's more, but I can't think of them atm.

• Funny 1

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles
3 hours ago, mavfin87 said:

Sure.  Ask Musashi, Yamato, Arizona, Oklahoma, California, Tennessee, West Virginia, Nevada, Prince of Wales, Repulse what sunk them.   There's more, but I can't think of them atm.

How about Roma?

EDIT: and Tirpitz?

Edited by GabeTheDespot
  • Cool 1