You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

So How Important Are Upgraded Planes, Hull, Etc. Anyways? What To Get First?

18 comments in this topic

[STW-M]
Members
2,079 posts
5,879 battles

So I've only played 11 battles in Taiho so far, but I'm wondering if I really should continue sabotaging my stats and possibly my randoms teammates by playing with stock flight control and bomber modules (both TBs and DBs).

I already got the fighters, thanks to the previous +200% xp weekend, but I just went and lost 9 games in a row with Taiho. While stock CVs in general suffer greatly from not having the proper planes and other modules, I'd like to know just how big of an impact is it truly making?

Is it a case of stock like North Carolina (much better if you get the upgraded hull but still manageable even if you don't) or Shokaku (tier 6 torpedo bombers planes facing tier 8-10 AA = hell—that was literally the only CV module I've grinded out in co-op so far; all other CVs and their modules were done in randoms)?

Are tier 9 bombers really that much better than tier 8?

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles

when it comes to what to upgrade planes are the best way to go you get better stats and will hit harder, the hull you can leave till later unless it makes i big change i.e more planes otherwise have a look and i think the only thing that changes really is you HP. For loadouts that one is personal choice to what you want, but always get the planes even if you have to free XP them, do the ones that best fit the CV for Taiho i would get fighters and TB right away as those two will make the biggest impact in the game, then DB and last hull.

Its impotent to get the upgrades as they make your planes and CV stronger and faster and you won't lose planes as quick and always get the one's that will help your CV the most i.e fighters and TB for IJN CV. The tier 9 TB yes you get faster speed and more HP the DB you give up speed for more HP so im not sure on that one.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Cool 2

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,479 posts
4,069 battles

What worked for me was skipping to Flight Control 3 (FC3) for the extra fighter squadron. I focused on spotting and air supremacy. This is more comfortable for me because I'm not worried as much about having my bombers flying around idly. Using my fighters defensively often meant I engaged the enemy carrier's fighters within friendly AA bubbles, which helped a lot when facing Essex's. Most of the time, I went for bomber strikes after dealing with the enemy's bombers and fighters. This also gives time for the enemy team to disperse, and for friendlies to knock out some of the AA on the enemy's ships. After FC3, I upgraded my fighters for locking out the enemy's aircraft more easily. Then I upgraded my torpedo and dive bombers to make my strikes more effective with the bomber-focused FC2. I upgraded the hull last because it has no impact on hanger capacity.

TLDR: FC3 → Fighters → TB → DB → FC2 → Hull (B). Play for spotting and air supremacy first. Upgrade bombers, then get FC2 for striking.

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles
20 minutes ago, Panbun said:

What worked for me was skipping to Flight Control 3 (FC3) for the extra fighter squadron. I focused on spotting and air supremacy. This is more comfortable for me because I'm not worried as much about having my bombers flying around idly. Using my fighters defensively often meant I engaged the enemy carrier's fighters within friendly AA bubbles, which helped a lot when facing Essex's. Most of the time, I went for bomber strikes after dealing with the enemy's bombers and fighters. This also gives time for the enemy team to disperse, and for friendlies to knock out some of the AA on the enemy's ships. After FC3, I upgraded my fighters for locking out the enemy's aircraft more easily. Then I upgraded my torpedo and dive bombers to make my strikes more effective with the bomber-focused FC2. I upgraded the hull last because it has no impact on hanger capacity.

TLDR: FC3 → Fighters → TB → DB → FC2 → Hull (B). Play for spotting and air supremacy first. Upgrade bombers, then get FC2 for striking.

I would also like to add that your teams will often be very happy if they take notice of the fact that you are shredding incoming bombers before they can drop their bombs or torpedoes. Does take some practice to to make it feel like you are everywhere protecting them and still find time to use your own bombers as well.

Sadly I have to wait to get my IX or X CV until I can get some of the various special Captain XP flags.. Since Transferring Captains from 1 CV to the other can be painful during the retraining process. Then again you can always recruit a level 1 captain and simply use a ton of Elite Captain XP to level them up. Level 15 Captain is what is needed to cover all the basics needed for a high tier CV. 

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
512 posts
4,338 battles
31 minutes ago, Panbun said:

Curious, why get FC2 after you get FC3, why not just skip it entirely?

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,479 posts
4,069 battles
19 minutes ago, MasterDiggs said:

Curious, why get FC2 after you get FC3, why not just skip it entirely?

That works too. If you prefer FC3’s playstyle, skipping FC2 is a fine option.

[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,975 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I would also like to add that your teams will often be very happy if they take notice of the fact that you are shredding incoming bombers before they can drop their bombs or torpedoes. Does take some practice to to make it feel like you are everywhere protecting them and still find time to use your own bombers as well.

Sadly I have to wait to get my IX or X CV until I can get some of the various special Captain XP flags.. Since Transferring Captains from 1 CV to the other can be painful during the retraining process. Then again you can always recruit a level 1 captain and simply use a ton of Elite Captain XP to level them up. Level 15 Captain is what is needed to cover all the basics needed for a high tier CV. 

ASE + TA + TAE + AS + Dogfighting + ?

I'm guessing either AFT/MAA or CE.

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,036 posts
11,229 battles

Hull (+ hangar) > formation (in case of ijn) > fighters (better chance to fight) > torpedo bombers (your main dmg) > drop bombers (your second dmg).

But the better recomendation is not use the free xp to change for the next ship, but use it to upgrade the next ship.

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles
54 minutes ago, Flashtirade said:

ASE + TA + TAE + AS + Dogfighting + ?

I'm guessing either AFT/MAA or CE.

Yeah CE is important as well as all the Aircraft Skills ( except Catapult Fighter of course). I like having my  having CV harder to detect, and my planes to be more powerful as well as more in a squadron than enemy has.

[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,975 battles
9 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah CE is important as well as all the Aircraft Skills ( except Catapult Fighter of course). I like having my  having CV harder to detect, and my planes to be more powerful as well as more in a squadron than enemy has.

I personally follow Fara's advice when it comes to carrier detection in that I don't want it to be too small, such that I don't have ample time to react to a DD flank. The ridiculous detection of USN CVs has saved me on occasion, but IJN detection distance with just the module (around 12km or slightly less) seems to be the sweet spot.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles
6 minutes ago, Flashtirade said:

I personally follow Fara's advice when it comes to carrier detection in that I don't want it to be too small, such that I don't have ample time to react to a DD flank. The ridiculous detection of USN CVs has saved me on occasion, but IJN detection distance with just the module (around 12km or slightly less) seems to be the sweet spot.

That is an interesting idea, but might be dependent on which tier of CV you are using since some of the lower tiered CVs if you get spotted you are very likely dead. Some low tier maps if you get spotted you get shelled to death quickly as a CV, but your idea might work higher up.

• Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,975 battles
11 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

That is an interesting idea, but might be dependent on which tier of CV you are using since some of the lower tiered CVs if you get spotted you are very likely dead. Some low tier maps if you get spotted you get shelled to death quickly as a CV, but your idea might work higher up.

The advice mainly applies to T7+ carriers, mainly due to USN CVs atrocious detection starting at that tier.

As for your second point, I personally think that positioning rather than detection is a bigger factor in being spotted in lower tier games, due to how small the maps are. An extra kilometer is rarely going to save my bacon from a DD flank on a map like Strait. Perhaps the Bogue would be a good candidate.

But for lower tier CVs I'd rather spec for AA, especially the T5 ones. Zuihou gets a sizeable punch with MAA, and specced Bogue has like the 3rd highest AA out of all T5 ships.

360 posts
194 battles

I'd like to say thank you for all the input so far, and to the OP for asking the question. I'm just about to hit T6 in both carrier lines and it's always good to have some idea of what becomes important for the future.

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles
4 hours ago, HyenaHiena said:

Hull (+ hangar) > formation (in case of ijn) > fighters (better chance to fight) > torpedo bombers (your main dmg) > drop bombers (your second dmg).

But the better recomendation is not use the free xp to change for the next ship, but use it to upgrade the next ship.

Why the Hull first i know some give you more planes in hanger but others just give you some HP?

[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,975 battles
2 hours ago, ausanimal said:

Why the Hull first i know some give you more planes in hanger but others just give you some HP?

If the hull gives you extra planes, which is specific to USN CVs only for some reason, then the upgraded hull is mandatory to get competitive hangar capacity. IJN CVs can put off hull upgrades for later.

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles
15 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

^ this

just seemed strange doing that first for Taiho 

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,036 posts
11,229 battles
6 minutes ago, ausanimal said:

just seemed strange doing that first for Taiho 

well thats more for usn (cause hangar incrase). in taiho case just put the hull in the last upgrade.