Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Chaos_EN2

VE Day - My WWII Hero

16 comments in this topic

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles

While we on World of Warships are remembering VE Day, Soviet Victory Day, the Battle of Coral Sea, I thought I would post about my WW2 Hero.

My Father - today 05/05 is his birthday and he was born in the year 1908 (he passed in 2000 at the age of 92), He joined the US Army Signal Corp during the 1920s, but then when Pearl Harbor was attacked he joined back up as Corporal so at 33 yrs old and was known as the old guy and was with the 8th Army Air Corp, as a Carpenter.

He never told us kids much about the war or about his service, just a story once in awhile. But he was always my hero, I do remember some of his stories from painting nose art on planes, to being being brought into an officers club by some of the pilots, He would said that the Brits would say that the Yanks "Were over paid, Over Sexed, and Over here", to him having to stand guard duty at one of the concentration camps when the made the Germans clean them up - this affected him a lot He hated it when anyone said The Holocaust did not happen, he also told me that he never hated the Germans (his Grandmother was German), but he hated the Nazis. 

He was a member of the VFW and American Legion so I grew up in those clubs as a kid, and so when I joined the USN in 1978 he was very proud of me and when I came home from Boot Camp he took me (in uniform) to each of those clubs to show off his "boy", to his buddies. And he wrote me, while I was in Europe for the first time and told me to careful if I saw women that looked like him not to "date" them they might be my sister!!:Smile_facepalm:

So Happy Birthday Poppie, you are missed. Thank you and your Generation for saving the World, and for teaching me everything right from wrong to why to hold a door for a Lady.

Dad.jpg

Edited by Chaos_EN2
  • Cool 9

1,266 posts
13 battles

Always thankful for the services our military provides.  Wishing your dad a very special happy birthday and may he rest in peace. Thank you for taking the time to share this with us today.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
2 hours ago, Jazzyblaster said:

Always thankful for the services our military provides.  Wishing your dad a very special happy birthday and may he rest in peace. Thank you for taking the time to share this with us today.

Thank you, I wish you could of met him, he was someone to talk too he saw/lived some much of history.

• Cool 1

1,266 posts
13 battles
18 hours ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Thank you, I wish you could of met him, he was someone to talk too he saw/lived some much of history.

No problem, and it would have been an absolute honor to meet him. :)

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
31 minutes ago, WolfofWarship said:

That's really beautiful @Chaos_EN2. Sounds like he was an awesome guy o7 I shall raise a glass in his memory

Well Wolf, he was a great guy. He was always my hero.

Still is. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles

Hey @WolfofWarship and @Jazzyblaster here is what the year was like when my Dad was born. He was 20 yrs older the my Mother, two years younger than my Mom's Mother, and I had a half Brother who was two years younger than my Mom. He was 52 yrs when I was born, and my sister came 2 yrs later.

THE YEAR 1908

This will boggle your mind, I know it did mine!  
The year is 1908. 
One hundred years ago. 
What a difference a century makes! 
Here are some statistics for the Year 1908 :

The average life expectancy was 47 years.

Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles Of paved roads.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower

The average wage in 1908 was 22 cents per hour.

The average worker made between $200 and $400 per year

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year, 
A dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

More than 95 percent of all births took place at HOME .

Ninety percent of all doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION!

Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which

Were condemned in the press AND the government as 'substandard. '

Sugar cost four cents a pound.

Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.

Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used

Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

Five leading causes of death were:

1. Pneumonia and influenza 
2. Tuberculosis 
3. Diarrhea 
4. Heart disease 
5. Stroke

The American flag had 45 stars.

The population of Las Vegas , Nevada, was only 30!!!!

Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and ice tea Hadn't been invented yet.

There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write.

Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores. Back then pharmacists said, 'Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind,regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health.' ( Shocking? DUH! )

Eighteen percent of households had at least One full-time servant or domestic help.

• Cool 1

1,542 posts
26 battles
34 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Hey @WolfofWarship and @Jazzyblaster here is what the year was like when my Dad was born. He was 20 yrs older the my Mother, two years younger than my Mom's Mother, and I had a half Brother who was two years younger than my Mom. He was 52 yrs when I was born, and my sister came 2 yrs later.

THE YEAR 1908

The year is 1908. 
One hundred years ago. 

A dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

2. Tuberculosis 
3. Diarrhea 
4. Heart disease 
5. Stroke

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores. Back then pharmacists said, 'Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind,regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health.' ( Shocking? DUH! )

Eighteen percent of households had at least One full-time servant or domestic help.

That's insane. I always admire the previous generations for their adaptability. Someone shows me something slightly new now and I'm baffled but my grandfather just rolled with it 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
1 hour ago, WolfofWarship said:

grandfather just rolled with it 

Amen to that, that Generation was something. 

1,266 posts
13 battles
2 hours ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

THE YEAR 1908

The year is 1908. 
One hundred years ago. 

2. Tuberculosis 
3. Diarrhea 
4. Heart disease 
5. Stroke

Wow, my mind is boggled indeed. I couldn't imagine a working wage of 22 cents an hour. With how high the living cost is nowadays, I don't think we'd survive. Also, I had a friend who was born to a 58 year old mom and a 60 year old dad. Sadly, her dad passed away a few years back after we graduated. It was my first time meeting someone whose parents were past 50 years of age. They always shared so many great stories with us about the old days.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
36 minutes ago, Jazzyblaster said:

Wow, my mind is boggled indeed. I couldn't imagine a working wage of 22 cents an hour. With how high the living cost is nowadays, I don't think we'd survive. Also, I had a friend who was born to a 58 year old mom and a 60 year old dad. Sadly, her dad passed away a few years back after we graduated. It was my first time meeting someone whose parents were past 50 years of age. They always shared so many great stories with us about the old days.

Yeah I know, my Dad could remember Horses and Mules still be used in my hometown, and his Grandfather (My Great) was a Civil War Veteran! Dad and his Brother got in trouble for playing with the Rifle (unloaded) while they were kids, that Great Granddad used in that bloody conflict.

So my Grandma made my Grandpa give to the local museum, I always have wondered what type it was, and how much it would be worth today. Museum did not have a record of it, but the curator told a lot of records (shortly before WW1) had been lost. 

[PVE]
Members
5,660 posts
18,248 battles
43 minutes ago, Jazzyblaster said:

LOL @ mind boggling. It is called inflation, even I can remember bread being 10 cents a loaf. A penny used to have real value now you see them littering the parking lots because there is no perceived value in them. Government programs and giveaways have destroyed our currency, it is slavery. Remember that money is a measure of human labor's worth, that is it. 

1,266 posts
13 battles
8 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

LOL @ mind boggling. It is called inflation, even I can remember bread being 10 cents a loaf. A penny used to have real value now you see them littering the parking lots because there is no perceived value in them. Government programs and giveaways have destroyed our currency, it is slavery. Remember that money is a measure of human labor's worth, that is it. 

I am aware of what inflation is haha,  it's just a bit shocking and eye opening to see how low in cost everything was back in those days. I can see why my grandmother says she'd go back to those days when food was cheaper and life was simpler.

1,266 posts
13 battles
10 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Yeah I know, my Dad could remember Horses and Mules still be used in my hometown, and his Grandfather (My Great) was a Civil War Veteran! Dad and his Brother got in trouble for playing with the Rifle (unloaded) while they were kids, that Great Granddad used in that bloody conflict.

So my Grandma made my Grandpa give to the local museum, I always have wondered what type it was, and how much it would be worth today. Museum did not have a record of it, but the curator told a lot of records (shortly before WW1) had been lost. 

That's amazing! I wonder how much it was worth? A pretty penny I bet. I wish that I could ask my grandmother about my family history, but sadly she was raised by her grandmother and she never thought to ask about it. My grandfather (on my dad's side) is still alive but has alzheimer's disease, so you'd have to catch him on a good day. You have an amazing family history @Chaos_EN2 and I appreciate you sharing your stories with us. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
Just now, Jazzyblaster said:

You have an amazing family history @Chaos_EN2 and I appreciate you sharing your stories with us. 

NP, I was lucky in that way with my Father's side of the Family, the old Family Album had a lot of the History in it. Mom's side not as much, it was not a good life for my Mother. All I know about her side is Irish with a little French, while my Dad's Family I have traced to it's Scottish Roots with some German (Granddad's mother was German, but his Father was Scottish), along with my Grandma's who's family was also Scottish.

I just remember something while typing this, something my Dad and both my Aunts told me, because of my Great Grandmother, my Dad had a German middle name. When the US joined the Allies in WW1, they took Dad down the courthouse and changed his German middle name to the English version. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles

Well I decided to add two more of my heroes to this post. My Uncle and my Brother, my Uncle was a US Army Veteran of WWII and during the Battle of Anzio, he was badly burned in a attack, and had suffer skin grafts the rest of his life.

My Brother was a Korean War USAF Veteran, I do not know much of his service record. I have some of his pictures from his off duty time, which LOL:cap_haloween: I cannot post here.  

IMG_1257.JPG

IMG_1256.JPG

Sign in to follow this