Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

How to defeat a KIdd with a Benson

15 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,925 battles

In Random, I know how..get help from a friendly cruiser.  In Ranked, when there's only 7 on 7, I've found myself one-on-one with a Kidd in a Benson twice tonight (both ended badly for me).  Anyone out there have any tricks that I can try?  Kiting helps, but when I turn to try and launch torps, I'm a goner.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,342 posts
14,891 battles

When in a Benson in ranked, you need to have an exit strategy.  There are some ships you will not beat 1:1, all other things being equal.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,672 battles

don't fight 1 on 1 that's is it because more than likely he has backup other than that unless he is bad he should beat you in a 1 on 1 gunfight it has a heal so can tank some.

Its not impossible but you better be a lot better than him if u try 1 on 1 a better tactic is to employ RL skill and scout passively until you get a gud idea where DD are and inform teammates so they can be ready instant you spot them

Members
1,753 posts
9,938 battles

Team work or timing.

Bait him into an ambush zone with your team, or if he has smoke on cool down and you have smoke bait a fight where a team mate can spot him.  Proceed to farm him.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,421 posts
12,065 battles

Are the kids guns really that good? I obviously haven't played it enough.

Members
1,753 posts
9,938 battles
13 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Fletcher guns at T8.

So yeah esp inside 7km.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

[PROJX]
Members
976 posts
15,795 battles
22 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The Kidd’s guns are like the Fletcher’s but the real problem w/ dueling a Kidd is it has a substantially larger health pool due to its heals.  I usually try to kite away since that maximizes my strengths while making it harder for the Kidd ( w/ similar guns, if you kite away, you have a shot distance advantage over the chasing ship plus the Benson can use 3 guns in the rear more easily while maneuvering whereas the Kidd has to slow and show more side to get his rear turrets to shoot you).

Another tactic is to get the Kidd within spotting range when firing of a friendly, then pop your smoke after he starts shooting.   If he continues to pursue, this should give you a number of salvoes where he’ll be visible to cut down his health pool to even the odds a bit.  The best solution is to have teammates who are ready to shoot him as soon as you spot him.

Edited by hangglide42
  • Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,262 posts
8,900 battles

Play Akizuki instead...:fish_cute_2:

[TFLT]
Members
148 posts
9,153 battles

The only way to beat a Kidd head to head with a Benson (assuming no support and both are at 100% HP) is really good luck. You're fighting Fletcher guns on a ship that can heal most of the damage you will put on him.  If you find yourself pushing into a Cap pt and discover you're alone there with a Kidd, just blow smoke and run. Best case scenario you will pull him onto friendly guns that were on their way. It's just an unfavorable match up. Especially up close inside of 7 or 8k. Just not worth it. Figure out another way to get it done (spot him and let some cruisers soften him up first etc). 

That said if you encounter a Kidd that has 1/4 HP or less than half that you saw DCP or just blow a heal and you're healthy...sure. Secure that. 

I enjoy playing both and do quite a bit. In Benson...one of my favorite ships, I just give a Kidd a wide berth. I try to avoid fair fights...or worse, losing fights ala Kidd. Gl o7

[SYN]
Members
14,468 posts
10,488 battles
On 5/5/2018 at 1:15 AM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Fletcher guns at T8.

So yeah esp inside 7km.

They have the same RoF and mostly the same firing arcs as Benson.

The platform as a whole, Kidd just has more HP and more than likely a 19pt captain packing BFT giving a further edge on HP trading ability.

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

Kidd is specifically designed to fight other DDs 1 on 1 (as well as shoot down planes). You won't win a gunfight against one in a Benson unless you have backup. On the other hand, Benson has significantly stronger torpedo striking power.

So as others have said, the only way your Benson can win unsupported against that Kidd is if that Kidd is really really bad.

Members
710 posts
4,602 battles

I agree with others on this one so if you are looking for a different answer than use your team or the old scoot and shoot (kite) sorry. The reason why Kidd is favored is the health advantage. Either wait for him to smoke and sit and use torps or use your team. Personally the Lo Yang feels more of a threat to me when I am in a Kidd. The Lo Yang can push me out of caps.

Beta Testers
220 posts

You defeat a Kidd by flooding and sinking more BB than he does.

• Cool 1

Members
244 posts
On 5/4/2018 at 9:00 PM, KonigstigerVII said:

Bait him into the rest of your team's fire.

This is the only way for a Benson to win vs. a Kidd that has heal on standby given comparably matched captains when starting the knife fight with comparable HP.

Sign in to follow this