You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Above average damage, below average EXP gain. Cause for concern?

19 comments in this topic

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles

According to Warships Today I am "very good" in both cruisers and battleships, but my average EXP gain is merely 860. I don't really run premium accounts, or, haven't started running one until recently. Do you think low average EXP is a cause for concern, and indicative of a deficiency in some area of gameplay?

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

Play objectives.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,841 posts
11,537 battles

Sounds like your getting most of that damage from low-value targets. Not all damage is equal.

[SYN]
Members
14,451 posts
10,446 battles

the XP displayed outside the game is affected by Premium time

WG has yet to fix this

Edited by MrDeaf

Members
179 posts
40 battles
13 minutes ago, Zionas said:

According to Warships Today I am "very good" in both cruisers and battleships, but my average EXP gain is merely 860. I don't really run premium accounts, or, haven't started running one until recently. Do you think low average EXP is a cause for concern, and indicative of a deficiency in some area of gameplay?

The deficiency is exactly that the game only deceives to tell you that raw damage is good, while in reality, damage reward is % base on max ship hp, which means, 10k to DD rewards much much more than 10k to BB. Exp reward is also bad when it rewards damage too much in a game where raw damage doesn’t win games at all.

In general, kill DDs and radar ship first wins game, then you go farm BBs when your own DDs can free roam and take everything.

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,036 posts
11,210 battles

Farm dmg in battleships not give you experience, the experience come from % of hp you make in the ships, not the full dmg.

In resume, give more XP make 10k dmg in a 15k hp dd then make 50k dmg in a 100k hp bb.

Also premium accont not affect your base XP.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,088 posts
14,482 battles

Play objectives, nail Destroyers.

31 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

the XP displayed outside the game is affected by Premium time

WG has yet to fix this

Originally at launch, it used to only show BaseXPs as far as stat tracking went, then not long after it added modifiers, inflating things more than they really should have.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
1,149 posts
3,141 battles

Put it this way- a destroyer can carry a tier 10 game with 30k damage, where a battleship can do 150k damage and not help win at all. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,088 posts
14,482 battles
8 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

Put it this way- a destroyer can carry a tier 10 game with 30k damage, where a battleship can do 150k damage and not help win at all. 

Yep.  I can do a mediocre amount of damage with Montana, say 50-60k and still lead the team in XPs because I was smashing Destroyers.

[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,034 battles

Kill 3 dds and check out your damage. Then kill 3 BBs you will see less. Cap and defend bases big bonuses.

Members
567 posts
75 battles
17 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

If you did 150k damage you weren't useless. Other people on the team clearly didn't carry their weight and are the cause of the loss. BBs need to be destroyed, the way they sink is no different than other ships, you have to remove their HPs. If you are doing that damage, that frees up your team mates from having to shoulder that burden. 

Think about it the other way, if you were fortunate to have close enemy DD targets and did most of your damage to them and some cruisers, your team mates away from that action are engaging the BBs and keeping them distracted from deleting you. 

Last thing you want is to ignore a unicum BB player and let him wreak havoc on your team the whole match because you got some irrational belief that doing damage to BBs is less effective/important.

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles

Does a low average EXP again automatically make me, or anyone else, a 'bad' player? I like to consider myself maybe high average to somewhat above average (if the bar for 'average' in this game is even that high to begin with), and I've also seen some players who have a lower K/D ratio, average damage (sometimes quite a big below server average in ships, or overall), but a decent average EXP gain and win rate.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,088 posts
14,482 battles
40 minutes ago, Zionas said:

Does a low average EXP again automatically make me, or anyone else, a 'bad' player? I like to consider myself maybe high average to somewhat above average (if the bar for 'average' in this game is even that high to begin with), and I've also seen some players who have a lower K/D ratio, average damage (sometimes quite a big below server average in ships, or overall), but a decent average EXP gain and win rate.

Keep in mind, as someone said earlier, the stat tracking on XP Avg also takes in modifiers like Premium Account and all that.  High XP is always nice but it is inflated because of Premium Accounts.  Again, WG should undo this stat tracking change as it even is in the WoWS official stats.

My official stats show 1561 average, and on Warships Today it shows 1562.  I can tell you now I'm on perpetual Premium Account, so on top of signal flags, etc, I got Premium inflating it further.

If you're a totally Free player and having tons of Economic Signal Flags is not a reality for you, then your XP Avg will be lower, unless you're just super-spectacular of a player :Smile_Default:

XP Average is one of those few stats that you really have to take with an entire salt shaker.  Things like WR%, Dmg Avg, Ship Kill, K/D Ratio, Survival %... Premium Account isn't going to inflate that, really.

That said, you can still improve it.  As was already mentioned, play the caps and kill, smash DDs.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles
41 minutes ago, Zionas said:

No not at all, but there is always room for improvement, surviving to do more is key to a higher xp gain, that doesn't mean sit in the back and do nothing or snipe from 26 km away, spotting, capping, damage and killing, will get it for you.

Also when I am in a DD at T8 and it's a T10 game, you gain more because your the lower tier, shooting higher tier ships.

In all honesty do not get caught up with other peoples stats, its all [edited], use your own stats, to gauge how your going and improving, or what you need to do to improve.

Edited by CriMiNaL__

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles
54 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Kill 3 dds and check out your damage. Then kill 3 BBs you will see less. Cap and defend bases big bonuses.

True and what's odd, though would be virtually impossible without a proverbial manure ton of player data and processor power to achieve, is that DD dependent, if lets say Battleship "A" takes out Destroyers "1", "2" and "3" solo (don't laugh, my average BB bum has done it so I know those unicums have too - and they were decent DD players upon looking at them after), this in fact changed the entire match.

Yet, my damage output was lower than normal, ergo xp was lower than normal, but considering they focused me and I took them out, thus changing the dynamic of the entire match, I received squat. lol

Not complaining by any means, believe me on that, as I stated, it would be way too many resources to even attempt to implement imho to try to balance that out.

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
4,275 posts
7,847 battles

As long as exp counts premium as a factor, it's unreliable to determine player performance. Damage is also not so reliable as some classes are more damage oriented. Just pay attention to your win rate instead, if you win a lot it means you are having a positive influence in the battle more often than not, that's worth more than both exp or damage.

• Cool 1

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles

I've played pretty much an equal split of cruisers and BBs, with the majority of my battles being Tier 5 while Tier 7 is catching up. I currently average 40,360 damage, with 51.65% win rate (98% solo), 1.46 K/D, 35% survival rate (only played T4/5 cruisers for almost half my total number of battles).

[XBRTC]
Members
1,414 posts
7,427 battles

12 hours ago, Zionas said:

No. It doesn't.

But then, a low K/D ratio also doesn't make you a bad player, either.

These are my stats from Khab, in the current season of ranked battles. 14 battles. I've died in 10 of them, and I've only gotten 6 kills. That means I've got a .6 K/D ratio.

My average damage sucks. It's low, no two ways around it. I'm not getting a lot of kills.

My average XP is pretty good, but then I also have premium time which is... what, 50% boost? So in terms of scoreboard XP it's actually down around 1300 average, most likely, which means middle of the pack in most battles. (I don't run economic flags other than the repair cost one, but even if I did run XP flags I'm pretty sure that they don't count toward this stuff: my average XP after one battle was exactly what it showed the base premium XP for the fight to be, before any modifiers from camo or anything else were added.)

It's the win rate that counts. Now, low damage and middle-of-the-pack XP, you might say I'm just getting carried. But... 93% win rate. That loss was the first one, and the 13 since have been wins. I can't simply be getting carried that many times in a row. I've got to be doing something right. I've got to be good at something.

It's just that, whatever it is, it doesn't get reflected by K/D, damage, or XP.

(in reality, I usually get a cap and maybe an assist or two, and I spend the rest of the battle pissing off the other team and baiting them into chasing me down instead of focusing on the folks who are actually murdering them. it's a contribution, but it doesn't show up nearly as clearly in the stats.)

The only stat that you really need to care about is win rate. The rest of it is vanity and bragging rights.

image.thumb.png.79eb883a3f6fb78f9e0e60ab61afbc29.png

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,176 posts
11,693 battles
15 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Sounds like your getting most of that damage from low-value targets. Not all damage is equal.

This.  You need to do a higher % of damage to the ships you're shooting at, and play objectives more.