Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

What's the deal with Minsk?

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
1,571 posts
9,998 battles

I haven't played my Gnevney much but this week's mission requires tier 6+ RU ship. I don't have many.

I never finished grinding to the next tier because from what I can tell Minsk is a real downgrade from Gnevny. You get a reload time that is 0.3/sec faster that's it but the turret traverse time increases from 19.1 to a whopping 30 seconds! Better yet the guns do the exact same damage as Gnevny guns.

A measly 0.3 range increase. So in exchange for BB slow turret we get a DD that is 3 knots faster?  Is there something here I'm missing or is it worth burning 100k free xp to jump to Kiev? 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
266
[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

Leningrad is a ton of fun.  Slow turret traverse but decent workable torps.  So if your used to USN and High Tier Pan Asian traverse speeds your in for a rude shock.  

I thought Leningrad was supposed to be about the same as Minsk for gun stats.  But than I never had to play the Minsk as I had mostly completed my Ruskie DDs well before the last split.

Kiev is a ton of fun...but sounds like thats still a tier away for you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
315
[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,608 battles

its not that bad for all you do in Russian DD meta is drive fast and shoot most cant hit you at 12 km so keep your guns in one direction hit y and shoot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
896
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,617 battles

Minsk has five guns to Gnevny's four. It also has four tubes per torpedo launcher to Gnevny's three. It's also a few knots faster, has a bit more HP, etc.

The turret traverse on both is the same abysmal 30s... you probably have modules or captain skills on your Gnevny such that it seems less.

 

EDIT: 2000 posts!

(or 2000 trolls maybe :Smile_trollface:)

Edited by pikohan
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
34 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I haven't played my Gnevney much but this week's mission requires tier 6+ RU ship. I don't have many.

I never finished grinding to the next tier because from what I can tell Minsk is a real downgrade from Gnevny. You get a reload time that is 0.3/sec faster that's it but the turret traverse time increases from 19.1 to a whopping 30 seconds! Better yet the guns do the exact same damage as Gnevny guns.

A measly 0.3 range increase. So in exchange for BB slow turret we get a DD that is 3 knots faster?  Is there something here I'm missing or is it worth burning 100k free xp to jump to Kiev? 
 

 

With upgrades it must have better stats no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
266
[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
7 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

With upgrades it must have better stats no?

yeah -- you can run the cap'n turret traverse skill as well as the module.  Brings it down to almost light cruiser traverse rate -- at least for my Leningrad.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,571 posts
9,998 battles
4 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

yeah -- you can run the cap'n turret traverse skill as well as the module.  Brings it down to almost light cruiser traverse rate -- at least for my Leningrad.  

So there is traverse speed equipment mod you can get?  That would really help.
I also noticed you do get one extra gun which is helpful.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,571 posts
9,998 battles
16 minutes ago, pikohan said:

Minsk has five guns to Gnevny's four. It also has four tubes per torpedo launcher to Gnevny's three. It's also a few knots faster, has a bit more HP, etc.

The turret traverse on both is the same abysmal 30s... you probably have modules or captain skills on your Gnevny such that it seems less.

 

EDIT: 2000 posts!

(or 2000 trolls maybe :Smile_trollface:)

Gnevney traverse speed is 19  not 30

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
896
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,617 battles
5 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Gnevney traverse speed is 19  not 30

 

I don't have the game in front of me at the moment, so can't verify for sure, but Wiki doesn't think so: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gnevny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
266
[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
13 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

So there is traverse speed equipment mod you can get?  That would really help.
I also noticed you do get one extra gun which is helpful.

 

yeah -- a slot 3 option.  you lose a little on RoF. 

sorry -- its a slot 3 option on Leningrad.  I'm just assuming Minsk has it as well(?)

Edited by Dr_Dirt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
106
[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,733 battles
10 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Gnevney traverse speed is 19  not 30

The 19.1 seconds you are seeing on Gnevy is because you are using EM and MBM 2, reducing it from 30 seconds to 19.1 seconds. Minsk will be the same, from 30 seconds to 19.1 seconds.

5 minutes ago, pikohan said:

 

I don't have the game in front of me at the moment, so can't verify for sure, but Wiki doesn't think so: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gnevny

The wiki is showing base turret turn. He is comparing base turret turn to the modified turn after captain skills and upgrades that are on his ship already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
896
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,617 battles
4 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

The wiki is showing base turret turn. He is comparing base turret turn to the modified turn after captain skills and upgrades that are on his ship already.

 

Yeah, that's what I said originally :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
266
[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

when youre dodging and weaving try to remember to turn the ship in the direction that decreases relative turret traverse speed.  otherwise it really turns up the aggravation associated with keeping your guns on target.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
106
[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,733 battles
4 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

when youre dodging and weaving try to remember to turn the ship in the direction that decreases relative turret traverse speed.  otherwise it really turns up the aggravation associated with keeping your guns on target.    

If he uses EM and MBM 2 on the Minsk, just like he does on his Gnevy, turret turn won't be an issue at 19.1 seconds, even when knife fighting. I know because I have the same on Gnevy, Fushun, Anshan, and Minsk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
266
[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

I prefer a little standoff distance with my Ruskie DDs.  Take advantage of those uber flat trajectory guns.  Makes it tougher for those lofty arcs on USN and Pan Asians to find you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
106
[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,733 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Dirt said:

Leningrad is a ton of fun.  Slow turret traverse but decent workable torps.  So if your used to USN and High Tier Pan Asian traverse speeds your in for a rude shock.  

I thought Leningrad was supposed to be about the same as Minsk for gun stats.  But than I never had to play the Minsk as I had mostly completed my Ruskie DDs well before the last split.

Kiev is a ton of fun...but sounds like thats still a tier away for you.  

As for Leningrad versus Minsk, the gun differences are these:

Turret turn
Minsk: 30 seconds base, 19.1 seconds minimum
Leningrad: 27.69 seconds base, 18 seconds minimum

Gun range:
Minsk: 12.2 km base (assuming fully upraded), 14.64 km maximum
Leningrad: 11.56 km base, 13.9 km maximum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
106
[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,733 battles
3 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

I prefer a little standoff distance with my Ruskie DDs.  Take advantage of those uber flat trajectory guns.  Makes it tougher for those lofty arcs on USN and Pan Asians to find you.  

That's what everyone is taught to do. Learn to play the ships a little better and you will smash USN and Pan Asian DDs in knife fights as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
266
[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

"learn to play the ships a little better" --- now that's some wisdom.  Thanks brah!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
405
[XBRTC]
Members
1,419 posts
7,445 battles
1 hour ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I haven't played my Gnevney much but this week's mission requires tier 6+ RU ship. I don't have many.

... you've got Gnevny, that's T6

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
106
[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,733 battles
5 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

"learn to play the ships a little better" --- now that's some wisdom.  Thanks brah!

I can't teach you how to do that in one forum post. And a good number of times, people don't actually try it when simply posted on the forum. If you actually want to, I will do so over voice to go over upgrades, captain skills, playstyle, tactics, strategies, and also to try it out in training room, etc. Russian destroyers actually have the the highest skill floor for destroyers, while most think they have a very low skill floor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,571 posts
9,998 battles
16 hours ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

... you've got Gnevny, that's T6

 

yeah, I took her out of storage, wiped off the dust and started playing her again and realized why I haven't used it in so long. Cause I really suck with Gnevny.   I always die quick even if I don't rush caps. I'm OK with US DDs and good with IJN  but the RU DDs I don't know what I'm doing wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,571 posts
9,998 battles
17 hours ago, pikohan said:

 

Yeah, that's what I said originally :Smile_teethhappy:

Thanks for the info :-)  I didn't realize the mod and Captain skill brought it down that much.  That's good to know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
405
[XBRTC]
Members
1,419 posts
7,445 battles
40 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

yeah, I took her out of storage, wiped off the dust and started playing her again and realized why I haven't used it in so long. Cause I really suck with Gnevny.   I always die quick even if I don't rush caps. I'm OK with US DDs and good with IJN  but the RU DDs I don't know what I'm doing wrong. 

 

RU DDs are an entirely different mindset from the rest of them.

I struggled through the line to Khab before the split, and then put like 30 battles into Khab. I sucked with it. I hated it. But I was OCD about not leaving the line incomplete. I just couldn't really make them work, though, not in any way that was fun to play.

This spring, though, when Clan Battles came back around? I was struggling to find my place in what to drive, and I'd seen a video of someone taking out a Khab and just being a complete and total jerk with it. Bullying DDs. Citadeling CL/CA's. Burning down BBs. I watched how they were doing it, re-spec'd one of my 19 point russian captains, and watched a lot more how-to-Khab videos, then took it out for a ride.

Haven't looked back since. When I went back to Khab, I was at about 30% WR. Now I'm at 57% with almost 200 battles since I started playing her again.

Basically what I'm getting at is that these things play VERY differently from what you're used to. Stealth is not your friend. If you're invisible, you're not doing your job. If you're invisible, then you're not pissing off the red team. When the red team is pissed, even unspotted ships will take a shot at you, opening themselves up to much justice from your team. You might not be able to turn that well, but your speed will help you avoid getting hit too many times, if you can keep the enemy in the mid-ranges.

Take the target acquisition system and RPF. Chase DDs--even unspotted ones--out of caps. Spot their torps early and have epic torpedobeats. Even if you don't beat all of them, you can take a punch or two, especially when you get to Khab.

Your guns will let you do terrible, terrible things to cruisers who try to come to the rescue of DDs that you're bullying. Your guns will let you do worse things to BBs, even. Russian 130mm AP can do truly fearsome damage to any flat surface. You don't get the DOT effect of fire, so your overall damage numbers will be a bit lower but pen damage doesn't get repaired as easily as fire, so it can be more of a help to your team as far as getting the win. It's situational, and you get a feel for it over time.

Getting shot at is very, very important. It's one of the best things that you can do for your team. A Shimakaze might be able to take some enemy DPM out of the game every few minutes, but if you're being enough of an anus and pissing off the enemy badly enough, you can take out all of their DPM for a bit, allowing the rest of your team freedom to push up and get kills. When they're shooting at you, they're not shooting at your team, and so long as you stay in the 10-13 range you're almost invulnerable to return fire.

What else. Hm. 

Look for youtube videos, basically. Find ones where people are screaming about OP russian DDs, and then watch how the DD player is doing it. (Obviously not the person complaining. It's the DD player who was good in that scenario. ;) ) 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×