You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Das_Schlippo

Is the Fletcher viable in stock configuration?

12 comments in this topic

[BYOB]
Members, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
747 posts
1,976 battles

I'm extremely excited to have purchased the Fletcher on Tuesday.  I've been drooling over this ship since I started playing back in Alpha.  I fell in love with the Fletcher class long ago after visiting the USS Cassin Young at the Charlestown Naval Yard.  I'm usually not one to play a ship in stock configuration if I'm going to hinder my team while doing so.  If I free XP the hull and torpedoes, I will just about exhaust my bank of free XP.  Is the Fletcher competitive in random battles when stock?  The stock torpeedus seem awful, but given that this is a gunboat, does that even matter?

Thanks in advance!

Ugh, I meant to put this in American Destroyers.  Maybe a mod can move it?

• Cool 1

Members
4,833 posts
5,599 battles

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know if a stock Fletcher is competitive. I can speculate though.

I also recently researched and bought Fletcher! It's an excellent boat! But I used free xp to research the torpedoes and B hull. I haven't played a stock ship in nearly two years. Because of that alone, and my short time in her so far, I'd say it's worth it.

On a more analytical level, without the B hull, you have less HP than a Benson(that's not also stock), possibly even with the captain skill SE(not too sure on this one myself). I'd consider that one of Fletcher's biggest advantages over Benson, since Fletcher shares the same concealment, RoF, and number of guns, but loses out on 2kts of speed. The other advantage I'd consider Fletcher having over Benson is her torpedoes. Stock Fletcher uses Benson's upgraded torps. These torps go 55kts. At T9, I wouldn't consider that adequate at all. Fletcher's upgraded torps go 66kts(that's one knot slower than Yuugumo's upgraded torps, and with only 1.5km less range), which is much more viable in my opinion, and one of the reasons why many consider Fletcher as the best high tier torpedo boat in the game.

So again, I"d say it's worth it to use free xp to get the B hull and upgraded torpedoes. I've been having a blast in my Fletcher, even on the losses.

• Cool 2

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,047 posts
10,486 battles

Hey Schlippo!

I really think you can get away with the stock hull, but the upgraded torps really make the Fletcher a performer in my opinion.  So upgrade the torps with fxp and then you will be able to unlock the B hull from game play fairly quickly.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
1,071 posts
4,506 battles

The stock ship is competitive, but it doesn't become a real beast until you research the torpedoes. Avery fun destroyer to play either way.

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
747 posts
1,976 battles
20 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Hey Schlippo!

I really think you can get away with the stock hull, but the upgraded torps really make the Fletcher a performer in my opinion.  So upgrade the torps with fxp and then you will be able to unlock the B hull from game play fairly quickly.

The downer is that the B hull has to be researched before the torpeedus.  ::sad trombone::

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,047 posts
10,486 battles
27 minutes ago, Das_Schlippo said:

The downer is that the B hull has to be researched before the torpeedus.  ::sad trombone::

Doh!  That's what I get for typing in a response from work.....

That being said, the Fletcher is a comfort DD, easy and fun to play - good guns/torps/smoke/maneuver/conceal.  It's a ship you will probably never sell - I just bought perma camo for it and the Gadjah Madah from the camo sale. 

• Funny 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,634 battles

I just played my first game in a stock Fletcher and oh boy is it viable. I put everything into torpedo reload and it was pretty glorious

Spoiler

FZRF0bl.jpg

For the most part I'd say WG has removed most of the really bad stock grinds in the game... there used to be things like 13km range Fuso or 6km torps Mutsuki and those are long gone. If anything, especially for destroyers (because last stand) it's much more of a burden to not have your captain retrained than it is to have a stock ship. Plus stock Fletcher is basically a big Benson and Benson was already seeing T10 every game anyway :Smile_sceptic:

[BYOB]
747 posts
1,976 battles

The Fletcher is confirmed fun for wrecking Asashios.

• Funny 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,190 posts
11,707 battles
On 5/4/2018 at 5:08 PM, Das_Schlippo said:

I'm extremely excited to have purchased the Fletcher on Tuesday.  I've been drooling over this ship since I started playing back in Alpha.  I fell in love with the Fletcher class long ago after visiting the USS Cassin Young at the Charlestown Naval Yard.  I'm usually not one to play a ship in stock configuration if I'm going to hinder my team while doing so.  If I free XP the hull and torpedoes, I will just about exhaust my bank of free XP.  Is the Fletcher competitive in random battles when stock?  The stock torpeedus seem awful, but given that this is a gunboat, does that even matter?

Thanks in advance!

Ugh, I meant to put this in American Destroyers.  Maybe a mod can move it?

It's stats are close to an upgraded Benson.  Is a Benson competitive in T9 games?

1,542 posts
26 battles

She does play quite like a Benson, so I definitely think you can get away with her (then, if you want to upgrade her in the future, you can see the areas you want to update!)

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles

Even at stock, her torpedoes are more devastating the then IJN DDs and will net far more hits.

[WOLF6]
Members
63 posts
3,025 battles

I love playing the Fletcher. But until it’s fully upgraded you just have to adjust your playing style. Spot more. Cap and leave if things get hot. Remember you’re still a destroyer. Take it slow and know the limitations. Any torpedo hit even if it’s not a kill still helps the team. After playing for a while and you decide you really like it put some permo Camo on it for that added bonus. Good luck with it and have fun.