Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
n00bot

Ranked Player Balance

9 comments in this topic

[PLPT]
Members
642 posts
6,904 battles

Supposedly, the ranked mode matchmaker takes into account player skill, but I still experienced this nightmare game against 4 MIA's coordinating on TeamSpeak plus Notser.

shot-18_05.02_00_51.47-0179.thumb.jpg.a77be75347c7692c3605af1efca731e4.jpg

(Crov... is also MIA I'm told)

I'm very flattered that WG thinks I'm good enough to counterbalance five unicums on the other team, but OMGRLY?

When I sent the screenshot to support, saying that the matchmaking clearly did not balance player skill, here was their (form) response:

If you want to ensure you are playing with/against players of roughly equal skill, you may want to try the Ranked Battles whenever they are available, which uses the player skill as part of the matchmaking algorithm.

Wow.  Thanks for not even reading the ticket I sent, which specifically questioned player skill balance in Ranked.  I already knew you didn't care.

Does anyone else get the impression that Ranked has better player skill balance than Randoms?  Seems utterly broken to me.  The MM could have easily mixed players better in the above example.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[BIAS]
Members
3,159 posts
9,299 battles

It does not sort players by skill, it randomly sorts players on to teams from the same bracket you are playing in. So a player in premier league isn't playing against players from 3rd league. Beyond that it's random

Notice how everyone is from rank 5-10? That's the skill group. 

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 2

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
6,083 battles

The solution is to become skilled enough that the other team is afraid to see YOU. 

Things like clan dropping are random, and will balance out over time. If 4 MIA players queue at the same time they are more likely to be some combination of 3v1 or 2v2 than to get lucky and be on one team. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[HINON]
Members
9,059 posts

Is that balanced out by them having Notser? I mean if he's stuck on an island he's a sitting duck. :cap_haloween:

• Funny 2

[ZR]
WoWS Wiki Editor
566 posts
4,806 battles

Higher up clans make up a fairly large part of the higher ranked brackets. This may happen from time to time, even without people syncdropping. 

• Cool 1

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

Luck of the draw.

What gave you the impression we ever had a skill-based matchmaker??  The only "skill" considered in ranked is making it to that bracket.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[KENT]
Members
54 posts
366 battles

Well, I want to share my opinion here.

Syncdrop in ranked is just awful. I don't know a lot about NA, but in some pretty nice clans on CIS you'll be kicked together with your friends as soon as anyone find out you've syncdropped. I hope these MIA players met each other because RNGesus wanted it, not because they wanted it.

Talking about ranked, it's fairly okay to play against unicums in team of not that good players. You still have chances to win, but it's possible only when you work as a team, not as a star savers. And even if you lose, you shouldn't be disappointed. You should think about mistakes and learn something to be better in the next battle. Changing the ships can also be a good idea. Improvise, adapt, overcome :D

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,860 posts
13,076 battles
13 minutes ago, mrmariokartguy said:

Higher up clans make up a fairly large part of the higher ranked brackets. This may happen from time to time, even without people syncdropping. 

Although I'm one data point, my experience seems to support that concept.  I started at 19.  Most of the high skilled players started at, or were running, 15 to 10.  I ran 19 to 15 in straight games...then got stuck in 15 land for three days.  I suspect a lot of the skilled players soon made it to 10, and then I shot from 15 to 10 in 9 straight games.  I will be running 10 this weekend, and suspect I'll be cannon fodder with slow going until the top dogs get into the 5 to 1 range.

Sign in to follow this