You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jakajan

Action carrier game? How would it work?

30 comments in this topic

[NNC]
Members
1,136 posts
13,596 battles

So I hear carriers are moving away from the RTS format? Part of the problem is there are skills that you need as a CV captain that you don't need in other ships, so they want some of the skill sets to be relateable.

How do you all imagine this happening? Will we be flying our fighters around in a blob, use torpedo indicators, bomb indicators and straffe over targets with gunfire? Once out of ammo, if it is still a thing go back to the CV to re-arm?

I'm trying to picture it. I'm not sure. How do you all think it will work?

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,849 posts
13,067 battles

My guess is you get to lead your squadrons.  Get to jump into the cockpit...or maybe a "behind" the squadron view...and fly bombing and torpedo runs.  Maybe some fighter runs too.  Being able to tab to each squadron will keep things moving.  No boring trips back to the carrier...that can be automated.  

You might still need to drive your CV too...so might need to jump back to avoid attacks.  But, in general, it will be "action mode' all the time.

Edited by Soshi_Sone

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles
1 minute ago, Soshi_Sone said:

My guess is you get to lead your squadrons.  Get to jump into the cockpit...or maybe a "behind" the squadron view...and fly bombing and torpedo runs.  Maybe some fighter runs too.

And I wonder who is guarding my carrier while I am off being a fighter pilot lol.

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
9 minutes ago, Psicopro said:

And I wonder who is guarding my carrier while I am off being a fighter pilot lol.

Don't you worry your pretty lil head about it...this dude will take care of your ship while your off in the wild blue yonder.  Got yurin' back.

Edited by Dr_Dirt

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,840 battles

I think it would be cool to be in the cockpit of a Torpedo Bomber making a run on a battleship with flak all around you. The WW2 equivalent of the Star Wars Death Star Trench run lol. Use the Force Belthorian!!!!!

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,451 posts
8,107 battles

It needs to not change to some even more actiony nonsense. They just need to balance the damn things. Giving us direct control would be the dumbest thing ever. That and I played Warplanes - I don't trust these guys as far as I can throw them to handle that. Especially with just how bad they are handling them now. 

Plus the CV as it is makes more sense to play as an RTS and is a nice change of pace from the usual gameplay.

• Cool 2

[-VT3-]
Members
1,626 posts
3,364 battles

Autodrops if you want to remain in map view.  Manual drops become truly manual; you control the entire squad of planes, WOWP-style, and drop on the target.

• Cool 2

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
2 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

It needs to not change to some even more actiony nonsense. They just need to balance the damn things. Giving us direct control would be the dumbest thing ever. That and I played Warplanes - I don't trust these guys as far as I can throw them to handle that. Especially with just how bad they are handling them now. 

Plus the CV as it is makes more sense to play as an RTS and is a nice change of pace from the usual gameplay.

change is a comin' whether we like it or not.

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
2 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

Autodrops if you want to remain in map view.  Manual drops become truly manual; you control the entire squad of planes, WOWP-style, and drop on the target.

As someone who beta tested WoWP that doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence. That game is garbage.

Also AA would need to be reworked.

Edited by xalmgrey
  • Cool 1

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

I created a thread about what I think the CV changes will look like as well as what I think they wish to include:

[ARP2]
Members
1,244 posts
3,569 battles
1 hour ago, GuntherPrein said:

poorly is my thinking

After the last few years, I have zero confidence in wargaming's ability to handle carrier gameplay.  

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,625 battles
9 minutes ago, Hatework said:

After the last few years, I have zero confidence in wargaming's ability to handle carrier gameplay.  

yep agreed

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
9 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

This would probably be a better way to handle CV gameplay.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/580720/Carrier_Deck/

I'm thinking WoWs CVs should be broken out into a completely different game.  World of Aircraft Carriers -- or whatever.  There is a ton of fodder for making a 'fun and engaging' game centered around aircraft carriers.  

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,814 posts
10,343 battles

Probably somewhere between catapult fighters and secondaries. Click-to-select.

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts
1 hour ago, xalmgrey said:

As someone who beta tested WoWP that doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence. That game is garbage.

Also AA would need to be reworked.

WOWP is a *very* different game now than it was four years ago. Reviews of the 2.0 iteration have been fairly positive. 

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
11 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

WOWP is a *very* different game now than it was four years ago. Reviews of the 2.0 iteration have been fairly positive. 

Is anyone playing it? Last i heard they had a pretty small player base.

[INTEL]
Members
8,588 posts
25,732 battles

Cant wait to see the rework, which will once again demonstrate that CVs do not belong in a naval surface warfare arcade game.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,803 posts
15,265 battles
14 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Reviews of the 2.0 iteration have been fairly positive. 

Not in the CC videos I've seen.

To simplify the UI interface, WoW could (should) make the following changes:

No Fighters: This move removes one third of the planes a CV driver has to worry about, as well as addresses players complaints that revolve around strafe mechanisms and drivers hovering planes over yoloing ships. All ships will now rely on their own AA, as well as the grouped AA of the team, to defend against enemy planes.

No More Manual Drops: Again, this removes much of the perceived gap between vet and noob CV Captains, a gap which is costing WoW money because it is driving noob CV players away. A standardized distance for Autodrops will be established, removing yet another player complaint; that of CVs dropping their torps too close for players to effectively react, bringing CV torps in line with DD torps.

Standardize CV Squadron Loadouts: All CVs in game will now have equal numbers of Dive Bomber squadrons and Torpedo Bomber squadrons per tier for every nation, dealing with another player complaint of CVs of certain nations being more powerful/more flexible with their aircraft squadrons. And, again, this will go far in balancing CVs amongst themselves.

Standardized Numbers of Planes pre Squadron: Another ongoing and unaddressed complaint is that every CV seems to get a different number of planes per squadron; no more. By making every squadron on every CV in the game have the same number of planes balance between CVs of every nation is restored.

Limiting All Planes on Every CV in-game to the Tier of the CV they Fly off of: Another balance issue to quell player complaints, and reduce or eliminate the power creep of AA in the game; now every CV in every match will have planes of it's own tier. Saipan will have tier 7 planes; GZ will carry tier 8 planes; Kaga will carry tier 7 planes; Midway will carry tier 10 planes.

All of these changes would remove the gap between CV players in the game while addressing most of the player complaints of CVs being OP.

• Boring 1

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,036 posts
11,229 battles

World of warplanes = its not going work.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,849 posts
13,067 battles
On 5/4/2018 at 4:46 PM, Psicopro said:

You are only a key stroke away. You don't have to fly the missions.  The planes can engage on their own...just like bot planes.  Obviously, if you are in the cockpit, you will do better than a bot...probably.

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles

Depending on the rework, and how it actually affects CV play, they should introduce fighters being able to strafe ships, set them alight, might cause a detonation, be able to finish of ultra low hp ships, now I know this may seem unpopular to you, but it does give CV players another avenue of attack/damage.