Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BenAubrey

Why ALL the EPICENTER scenarios today??????

31 comments in this topic

[GTF]
Members
76 posts
4,947 battles

I hate them..most others in the scenario  hate them according to chat.....yet over 50 per cent of the random battles today so far are epi center....where you go round and round.....sigh

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles

And like every other person who claims to "hate" epicenter, you don't explain why.  I'm personally sick and tired of all the reasonless whining and kvetching about epicenter.  It's every bit as good as domination or standard.  And yet, all the whiners continue to complain without a single respectable reason or any reason at all!!!  

Members
4,547 posts
6,456 battles
18 minutes ago, BenAubrey said:

I hate them..most others in the scenario  hate them according to chat.....yet over 50 per cent of the random battles today so far are epi center....where you go round and round.....sigh

Hate?  Why?

Members
4,821 posts
5,596 battles
7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

And like every other person who claims to "hate" epicenter, you don't explain why.  I'm personally sick and tired of all the reasonless whining and kvetching about epicenter.  It's every bit as good as domination or standard.  And yet, all the whiners continue to complain without a single respectable reason or any reason at all!!!  

I just dislike the fact that despite Epicenter being in the game for well over 6 months(or has it been a year already?), and existing at both mid and high tiers, it seems that nobody has learned how to play it.

Other than that, I think it's a good game mode. It breaks up the meta on the maps it appears on in a good way, and adds variety to the game, so it's not always domination or variant of domination. Epicenter is certainly leagues better than standard battle, in my opinion.

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,828 battles

One day 8/9 random battles were epicenter trident. I like the map, but not that much.

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
21 minutes ago, BenAubrey said:

hopefully the server gets that epi center map c*@p out of its system before I get home from the gulag and fire up my shipixels.    

[RLGN]
Members
8,246 posts
17,255 battles
22 minutes ago, Crucis said:

10 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

I just dislike the fact that despite Epicenter being in the game for well over 6 months(or has it been a year already?), and existing at both mid and high tiers, it seems that nobody has learned how to play it.

Other than that, I think it's a good game mode. It breaks up the meta on the maps it appears on in a good way, and adds variety to the game, so it's not always domination or variant of domination. Epicenter is certainly leagues better than standard battle, in my opinion.

Used to hate Epi, but slowly grew to like it; Especially on Big Race and Trident, (not so much, even after the changes, on Tears of the Cruisers.)

Trident especially has a place where each side can lock down the center, from good cover, and force the other side to come pry them out.

10 minutes ago, c3shooter said:

One day 8/9 random battles were epicenter trident. I like the map, but not that much.

Actually my #1 fav Epi map.

Kinda wish they’d put Epicenter on Strait; I can only imagine the campfests or brawls that might inspire.

[GTF]
Members
76 posts
4,947 battles
31 minutes ago, Crucis said:

LOL..you can be sick and tired all you like......I'm not whining...I am stating a fact.....four of the last six random battles for me were epicenter...and most people in the game chat don't like the scenario.

As for reasons... 1. You go round and round..... 2.  Most battles I have been in are one sided.....we win with 8 or 9 ships floating...they win with 8 or 9 ships floating  3. Two of the six epicenters....we had five destroyers and two aircraft carriers a side...going round and round...joy joy....

I enjoy the standards and dominations....they look and feel realistic to me......just did my first ranked last night and won with my DD..it was a blast.enough reasons?

Edited by BenAubrey

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
17 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

The thing is that Epicenter is NOT hard to play!  Not difficult in the least!  Work the middle ring, and work around the edges of the outer rings.

I love that Epicenter adds variety to the game. 

I don't mind Standard, though a gripe that I have with it is that more recently teams have started doing nothing more than camp around their base without the slightest bit of aggression.  And that's boring.  I've tried to brain storm ideas to force more aggressive play, but it's not easy because thus far, every idea I've had ends up with one team gaining an advantage of even a single ship sunk would allow them to just fall back on defensive camping.

5 minutes ago, BenAubrey said:

LOL..you can be sick and tired all you like......I'm not whining...I am stating a fact.....four of the last six random battles for me were epicenter...and most people in the game chat don't like the scenario.

As for reasons... 1. You go round and round..... 2.  Most battles I have been in are one sided.....we win with 8 or 9 ships floating...they win with 8 or 9 ships floating  3. Two of the six epicenters....we had five destroyers and two battleships a side...going round and round...joy joy....

I enjoy the standards and dominations....they look and feel realistic to me......just did my first ranked last night and won with my DD..it was a blast. enough reasons?

Second para:  None of those reasons mean a damned thing.  Most battles in every mode are one sided.  And so what if you do round and round.  Standard mode currently is full of teams doing little more than base camping.  And's one hell of a lot more boring than working around the edges of an epicenter ring.  At least if you're going around and around, you're MOVING and fighting a dynamic battle, which is always more enjoyable than a static battle of base campers.

Frankly, Epicenter is no more and no less realistic than any other battle mode.

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
9 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Used to hate Epi, but slowly grew to like it; Especially on Big Race and Trident, (not so much, even after the changes, on Tears of the Cruisers.)

Trident especially has a place where each side can lock down the center, from good cover, and force the other side to come pry them out.

Actually my #1 fav Epi map.

Kinda wish they’d put Epicenter on Strait; I can only imagine the campfests or brawls that might inspire.

Actually, Prophet, I enjoy the updated Tears-Epi map.  The changes, which were along the lines I suggested (whether they used my ideas or came up with them on their own), worked out pretty much the way I envisioned them.  Game play is a LOT more dynamic because of the locations of the spawns relative to the island formations on the map.

I think that Tears is now a good map, regardless of the battle mode, because the islands are useful without encouraging a totally static meta and the map encourages more dynamic game play.

[GTF]
Members
76 posts
4,947 battles
6 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The thing is that Epicenter is NOT hard to play!  Not difficult in the least!  Work the middle ring, and work around the edges of the outer rings.

I love that Epicenter adds variety to the game. 

I don't mind Standard, though a gripe that I have with it is that more recently teams have started doing nothing more than camp around their base without the slightest bit of aggression.  And that's boring.  I've tried to brain storm ideas to force more aggressive play, but it's not easy because thus far, every idea I've had ends up with one team gaining an advantage of even a single ship sunk would allow them to just fall back on defensive camping.

Second para:  None of those reasons mean a damned thing.  Most battles in every mode are one sided.  And so what if you do round and round.  Standard mode currently is full of teams doing little more than base camping.  And's one hell of a lot more boring than working around the edges of an epicenter ring.  At least if you're going around and around, you're MOVING and fighting a dynamic battle, which is always more enjoyable than a static battle of base campers.

Frankly, Epicenter is no more and no less realistic than any other battle mode.

LOL...you ask for reasons....I guess mine are not to your liking "ADMIRAL"......and I categorically disagree that most battles are unbalanced...in my limited experience compared to you......most battles come down to three or four ships on a side......so keep being sick and tired of others daring to disagree with you....I am goin back to playin....hopefully just not alot of epicenters :)

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
4 minutes ago, BenAubrey said:

LOL...you ask for reasons....I guess mine are not to your liking "ADMIRAL"......and I categorically disagree that most battles are unbalanced...in my limited experience compared to you......most battles come down to three or four ships on a side......so keep being sick and tired of others daring to disagree with you....I am goin back to playin....hopefully just not alot of epicenters :)

And I appreciated that you attempted to give reasons.  But don't expect me to think that the reasons are good ones.

As for "most battles", I'm sorry, but my much longer experience does say that most battles tend to be won by wide margins.  The close ones are fairly rare, which is a shame, but it's just the way it is.  It's called the snowballing effect.  When a team gets a lead (in ships sunk), the chances that they'll increase the lead increase.  And the chances that the lead increases grow greater with every additional ship sunk.  And as the lead grows, it becomes increasingly more difficult for the trailing team to make up ground and even up the ships sunk totals.  It's the same way in World of Tanks.  If you want to keep a game close, it's imperative for a team that finds itself down a ship, to sink an enemy ship ASAP, preferably by finishing off a badly wounded enemy before it can escape into cover or concealment.  And if this can be done, you might see a close battle.  

Regardless, enjoy your battles, but I hope that you see more epicenter maps so that you can learn how to play them more effectively and better help your teams win on them.

See ya on the high seas.  

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,828 battles
47 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Wish they’d put Epicenter on Strait; I can only imagine the campfests or brawls that might inspire.

I am frankly sick of strait. I have an abismal wr on it, but i love variety so i give this a thumbs up!

Beta Testers
271 posts
10,664 battles

While I am not a huge fan of epicenter, I wouldn't use the word "hate". :)

For me, it is a subconscious feeling of going the "wrong way" in game mode development. I am a minority opinion holder that the arbitrary circles of buoys should have been beta placeholders, and eliminated long ago. It is not a question of arcade v sim, it is an issue of basic naval tactics, and having an immersive "reason" to cap something. 

This game type is even more unrealistic and arbitrary from a tactical point of view.

Doesn't stop me from playing. I don't rage-quit or whine, I adapt and deal with it, while hoping for the future.  :) The base attack mission is closer to what I thought random would be the week after the wipe, so patience will be required.

Epicenter is more challenging for me, as I very rarely stop(only as capping DD) or reverse or hide behind rocks. Just won't play World Of Wet Tanks. Ships don't stop, they don't go backwards and they certainly don't hide behind a rock during a 20 minute engagement.  :) "Metas", stats, and whatever "unicum" means is irrelevant to me personally. I just want to sail a ship. There is only one stat that matters to me. My karma is currently at 85. I HELP people.  :) Screw it if I die.

Epicenter leaves options for every ships type unless you are the solo DD. You can find a way to make it work. I have faith in you.

Members
4,821 posts
5,596 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

That actually might make that map tolerable to play, lol. I dislike some maps, but I really only hate one, and it's Strait.

[RLGN]
Members
8,246 posts
17,255 battles
25 minutes ago, c3shooter said:

I am frankly sick of strait. I have an abismal wr on it, but i love variety so i give this a thumbs up!

2 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

That actually might make that map tolerable to play, lol. I dislike some maps, but I really only hate one, and it's Strait.

Used to hate it myself, until I got a lot more games under my belt.

I’ll admit use of the map cap be repetitive, but as a matter of curiosity; what seems to give the two if you the most trouble on Strait?

Members
4,821 posts
5,596 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Actually, Prophet, I enjoy the updated Tears-Epi map.  The changes, which were along the lines I suggested (whether they used my ideas or came up with them on their own), worked out pretty much the way I envisioned them.  Game play is a LOT more dynamic because of the locations of the spawns relative to the island formations on the map.

My only criticism of the new layout for Tears is the large island on the south side in the center ring. It favors the southern spawning team just a bit too much, and it's difficult for the northern team to uproot destroyers and other ships that sit behind that island until the end game, when the game has been decided.(as in, the best way to uproot anyone there, is to crush a flank and move in on them from the north or south, but by then, the battle is decided due to the likely hood that any ships behind that island are one of only a few left alive)

If the island on the opposite side were enlarged a bit, or if that smaller island to the north were moved to the opposite side and the large island turned 90º, then I think it might make it a bit more fair.

Other than that one thing, I also really like the updated Tears of the Desert map. It plays much better than the old version.

17 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Used to hate it myself, until I got a lot more games under my belt.

I’ll admit use of the map cap be repetitive, but as a matter of curiosity; what seems to give the two if you the most trouble on Strait?

I don't have trouble with Strait. I understand how to play the map myself. My teammates on the other hand, just don't seem to ever understand the best courses of action for that map.(such as, BBs heading North/South of A/C instead of towards B, making it near impossible for them to get in range to assist B and A/C once that flank has been won)

What I don't like about it are mainly the spawns and how quickly it causes collapses, giving one side such an advantage in numbers that it's near impossible to pull victory from the jaws of defeat. The spawn layout also makes it impossible to support your flank without first demolishing the enemy in front of you. I like localized battles, but Strait takes it to a whole new level. And the way the islands cut off the teams makes it hard to regroup if it's needed, or for Standard Battle, where the best strategy is to group up at the base and let the enemy team come to you(which the islands do a good job of, forcing the enemies to come at you one by one or in small groups).

I think Strait would play much better with North/South spawns, instead of East/West split spawns. That, or have each team spawn like in the ranked version, one Northeast, the other Southwest. Basically anything to eliminate the split spawns. WG has already done that for Hotspot(known as the premier shiptier map in OBT because of split team spawns) and Tears of the Desert(also infamous for it's bad split team spawns, in the former version), now it's Strait's turn.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
32 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

I don't have trouble with Strait. I understand how to play the map myself. My teammates on the other hand, just don't seem to ever understand the best courses of action for that map.(such as, BBs heading North/South of A/C instead of towards B, making it near impossible for them to get in range to assist B and A/C once that flank has been won)

What I don't like about it are mainly the spawns and how quickly it causes collapses, giving one side such an advantage in numbers that it's near impossible to pull victory from the jaws of defeat. The spawn layout also makes it impossible to support your flank without first demolishing the enemy in front of you. I like localized battles, but Strait takes it to a whole new level. And the way the islands cut off the teams makes it hard to regroup if it's needed, or for Standard Battle, where the best strategy is to group up at the base and let the enemy team come to you(which the islands do a good job of, forcing the enemies to come at you one by one or in small groups).

I think Strait would play much better with North/South spawns, instead of East/West split spawns. That, or have each team spawn like in the ranked version, one Northeast, the other Southwest. Basically anything to eliminate the split spawns. WG has already done that for Hotspot(known as the premier shiptier map in OBT because of split team spawns) and Tears of the Desert(also infamous for it's bad split team spawns, in the former version), now it's Strait's turn.

Ghost, what I'd like to see done with Strait is to move the spawns to the NE and SW, with all ships for each team in those locations.  That way, you can choose to head N/S up the channel near your spawn, or head E/W to cover the central channel or beyond to engage any enemies trying to move up the farthest channel from your spawn.  This would seem to make the map a lot more interesting, and do away with the annoying behavior where N spawning ships run south (or visa versa) and really screw over their team, by abandoning team mates from where they spawned, as well as taking themselves out of the fight for the 2-3 minutes it takes to get to the other side of the map.

[RLGN]
Members
8,246 posts
17,255 battles
43 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

What I don't like about it are mainly the spawns and how quickly it causes collapses, giving one side such an advantage in numbers that it's near impossible to pull victory from the jaws of defeat. The spawn layout also makes it impossible to support your flank without first demolishing the enemy in front of you. I like localized battles, but Strait takes it to a whole new level.

For me, the split battle on Strait is what it’s all about; you win or lose based on the two local battles, and what’s left afterwards.

My biggest complaint is about the potatoes trying to takes B cap too early, who get focused from both sides, and die before the game’s five minutes old.

Second biggest is similar to yours; teams that win a flank then just stay there, apparently with no idea they should perhaps go help the other side, until the Reds get it back together and the game is lost.

10 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Ghost, what I'd like to see done with Strait is to move the spawns to the NE and SW, with all ships for each team in those locations.  That way, you can choose to head N/S up the channel near your spawn, or head E/W to cover the central channel or beyond to engage any enemies trying to move up the farthest channel from your spawn.  This would seem to make the map a lot more interesting, and do away with the annoying behavior where N spawning ships run south (or visa versa) and really screw over their team, by abandoning team mates from where they spawned, as well as taking themselves out of the fight for the 2-3 minutes it takes to get to the other side of the map.

That would kind of make it like 2B in reverse. The central channel is open, and the flanks are choked and restricted.

Even in Standard mode; where doing so actually makes more sense; I’ve seen more teams lose on Strait ‘trying to join up,’ than I’ve ever seen win.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
21 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

That would kind of make it like 2B in reverse. The central channel is open, and the flanks are choked and restricted.

Even in Standard mode; where doing so actually makes more sense; I’ve seen more teams lose on Strait ‘trying to join up,’ than I’ve ever seen win.

Not sure what you mean by this, Prophet.

Honestly, I don't think that Strait is that great a map.  The split spawns promote the atrocious and greatly annoying behavior of teams trying to join up and abandoning any who don't follow them, pretty much guaranteeing a loss.  In standard mode, I've even seen the occasional team where the ships that spawned on the side near their cap would abandon that side to try to join up with the guys on the other side, effectively abandoning their base!!!  And those battles tend to end VERY quickly because the enemy will just cap you out in no time flat.

I'm not sure if placing the spawns as I suggest would help, but it couldn't get any worse.

[RLGN]
Members
8,246 posts
17,255 battles
16 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Not sure what you mean by this, Prophet.

Honestly, I don't think that Strait is that great a map.

Two Brothers is the opposite of Strait. Open flanks and a restricted central channel.

Maybe I’ve grown used to it? (Played it to death with Langley, Bogue etc in Co-op.) A map with issues, but it has a few gems (crumbs?) that can be used to advantage.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,728 posts
3 hours ago, Crucis said:

I hate epicenter because it forces me into a specific play style. I don't like a game forcing me so I loathe this mode. 

It's not that I can't play it but it's like WG saying "we want you to play this way and only this way." And your team gets really salty if you don't do what they want you to more than a normal game. When I get epicenter it is always my last game of the day because I get frustrated and walk away from the game. I have other game options that are fun, epicenter is not fun

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
7 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Two Brothers is the opposite of Strait. Open flanks and a restricted central channel.

Maybe I’ve grown used to it? (Played it to death with Langley, Bogue etc in Co-op.) A map with issues, but it has a few gems (crumbs?) that can be used to advantage.

Ohhhh..... "2B" = Two Brothers.  Gotcha.  I see what you meant by the flanks and central channel comment now.

My problem with Strait is the atrocious behavior caused by the split spawns.  Put each team in either the NE or SW (or NW and SE) and tweak the domination mode cap positions, and I think that things would get much better.

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
3 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

I hate epicenter because it forces me into a specific play style. I don't like a game forcing me so I loathe this mode. 

It's not that I can't play it but it's like WG saying "we want you to play this way and only this way." And your team gets really salty if you don't do what they want you to more than a normal game. When I get epicenter it is always my last game of the day because I get frustrated and walk away from the game. I have other game options that are fun, epicenter is not fun

Domination mode does the exact same thing.  And I hate domination mode, for the most part.

And frankly, if you're that wound up about Epicenter, maybe you should be playing a different game.  IMO, it's just not a big deal.  It's a different mode.  And variety is a good thing.  We shouldn't be  stuck playing nothing but that crappy domination mode.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,728 posts
49 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Domination mode does the exact same thing.  And I hate domination mode, for the most part.

And frankly, if you're that wound up about Epicenter, maybe you should be playing a different game.  IMO, it's just not a big deal.  It's a different mode.  And variety is a good thing.  We shouldn't be  stuck playing nothing but that crappy domination mode.

You asked for a reason, you got a reason. Epicenter apparently winds up a lot of people by the reactions. Nothing wrong with that. 

Sign in to follow this