You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Military Appreciation Month - #ThinkVet

18 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
896 posts
5,928 battles

May is traditionally Military Appreciation Month and is a time to remember and thank service members for their time and devotion to their country.

image.jpeg

Take the time to thank and honor those that are currently serving, have served, and have made the ultimate sacrifice.

Our portal page has information on making donations to organizations Wargaming has partnered with as well as a current event sharing photos of veterans using #ThinkVet

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/saluting-their-service

#militaryappreciationmonth

#ThinkVet

#anchorsaweigh

#semperfidelis

• Cool 4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,615 posts
9,014 battles

I don't Tweet, heck I barely text.

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles

Does this mean that special Military Appreciation Month Flag will be returning?

[XBRTC]
Members
1,414 posts
7,427 battles
56 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Does this mean that special Military Appreciation Month Flag will be returning?

Sadly, no. They've already said that one was a mistake to have included in the first place, and they will not be giving away any more flags like that.

[ANKER]
Members
29 posts
7,615 battles

Have had the pleasure of being able to have conversations with Tuskegee airmen and one of the officers responsible for the US space program growing up.  Take the time to visit some of the old military vfw's and listen to some stories if you guys ever get a chance. 

I have been blessed to have some great conversations with some awesome men and women while volunteering across the world, and it really brightens up their day when they get a chance to talk.

Oct will be 14 years since i enlisted, did 2 years in iraq during enduring freedom and new dawn, have taken part in hurricane Katrina, Haiti disaster and of course the recent hurricane. 

Thanks to all those vets who have given so much 

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,615 posts
9,014 battles
6 minutes ago, e6600 said:

Have had the pleasure of being able to have conversations with Tuskegee airmen and one of the officers responsible for the US space program growing up.  Take the time to visit some of the old military vfw's and listen to some stories if you guys ever get a chance. 

I have been blessed to have some great conversations with some awesome men and women while volunteering across the world, and it really brightens up their day when they get a chance to talk.

Oct will be 14 years since i enlisted, did 2 years in iraq during enduring freedom and new dawn, have taken part in hurricane Katrina, Haiti disaster and of course the recent hurricane. 

Thanks to all those vets who have given so much 

The statue of Joe Gomer at the Duluth, MN airport.

12020991.jpg

• Cool 2

[PSP]
Members
6,250 posts
8,888 battles

It's nice to see the military being appreciated for what they do for the country again. When I was in during the 70s, the response I generally got from people my age when I told them I was in the Army was "Are you crazy?" When I used the GI Bill to get two college degrees and graduate debt free a lot of those same people didn't think I was so crazy after all.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,538 posts
7,540 battles

Had the opportunity a few years ago to meet Bill Watkinson, a USS Yorktown CV-10 Hellcat pilot.  What an amazing and courageous man.

He turned 95 last year, and celebrated on the boat.

05-170123_BillWatkinson_95th_005.thumb.jpg.d48ab9bcbd0bebb3678ae4cf71427e63.jpg

• Cool 1

1,266 posts
13 battles
On 5/5/2018 at 10:02 AM, OtterWolf said:

Had the opportunity a few years ago to meet Bill Watkinson, a USS Yorktown CV-10 Hellcat pilot.  What an amazing and courageous man.

05-170123_BillWatkinson_95th_005.thumb.jpg.d48ab9bcbd0bebb3678ae4cf71427e63.jpg

What an honor that must have been. I will always be thankful for our vets and the sacrifices they all endured for our country. 

[SF-A]
Beta Testers
302 posts
9,887 battles

As an old (73) Navy vet, I was proud to serve, and I salute all those who have. Thanks for your service. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
17 hours ago, CaptnAndy said:

As an old (73) Navy vet, I was proud to serve, and I salute all those who have. Thanks for your service. 

Well as fellow Navy Vet, I want to thank you for your service, along all of those who have served. No matter what nation.:Smile_honoring:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
On 5/5/2018 at 10:02 AM, OtterWolf said:

Yeah Otter you was lucky, that whole generation was special, it really was the generation that saved the world.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,538 posts
7,540 battles
7 hours ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Yeah Otter you was lucky, that whole generation was special, it really was the generation that saved the world.

Lucky indeed, I almost wasn't here... My Dad survived Pearl Harbor aboard the USS Oklahoma, and then one year later, survived the sinking of the USS Northampton during the Guadalcanal operation.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,831 battles
7 minutes ago, OtterWolf said:

Lucky indeed, I almost wasn't here... My Dad survived Pearl Harbor aboard the USS Oklahoma, and then one year later, survived the sinking of the USS Northampton during the Guadalcanal operation.

lol damn, your Dad should have played the lotto right after the war, he might have won it five or six times.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,538 posts
7,540 battles
1 minute ago, Belthorian said:

lol damn, your Dad should have played the lotto right after the war, he might have won it five or six times.

Ha!, he didn't get the chance, after the Northampton sank, he was assigned to a Fletcher-class destroyer, the USS Bell... I think he used up all of his luck just staying on that Tin Can for four years...

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
24 minutes ago, OtterWolf said:

With my Pop it was the 8th Army Air Corp., he was not a Air Crew but he saw the boys when they came back or if they did not. He did not go into details much (I think he did not want us kids to know stuff like that), when I joined the USN he told me a bit more. He saw B-17s come back shot full of holes, with most all of the crew dead and the blood having to be washed out of the planes.

Like I said your Dad, my Dad, and Bill Watkinson are part of the generation that saved the world.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,831 battles
36 minutes ago, OtterWolf said:

Ha!, he didn't get the chance, after the Northampton sank, he was assigned to a Fletcher-class destroyer, the USS Bell... I think he used up all of his luck just staying on that Tin Can for four years...

LOL that's hilarious, I love your screen name. Who doesn't love Otters and Wolves right!!!!!

• Cool 1

[ICE9]
Members
814 posts

At my house, every month is Military Appreciation Month. Bravo Zulu, vets.

#anchorsaweigh

#heartofoak