You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_cthulhu_

Submarine Watch - Update

718 comments in this topic

[SIMP]
Members
832 posts
8,401 battles

OK so - WoWs has stated there will be no Submarines... but evidence keeps piling up that they are working on them

For example

Modeled Submarine in port

Sub Captains given as part of ARP

WOT Blitz there is submarine hidden in the water on Mirage map.  - Thanks Admiral_Thrawn

And now -

In the British Navy at the Beginning and End of World War II page a HUD submarine icon

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/confederate-1/

Thoughts / Conspiracy Theories?

Edited by _cthulhu_
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 5

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,346 posts
9,513 battles

Yes please!

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[ONAVY]
Members
766 posts
6,284 battles

Subs...subs....subs....this will get the haters skin crawling lol....it will be a nice surprise and good link...seems pretty obvious from the link they will be added. When your green you grow when your ripe you rot....only thing certain is change...we have nothing to fear but fear itself.....submarines are your friends...I come in peace.

"Submarines also proved their effectiveness and took an important position in the navy’s composition" ...from the article...nice to see they are acknowledged.

Edited by C_D
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[HINON]
Members
9,013 posts

They like to joke about it. This is nothing new.

aMcgJqx.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,821 battles

I have no issue with Subs in the game, I think it would be fun to hunt them in DD's with depth charges. However, if they are going to put them in making them as realistic as possible. 5 to 7 knots submerged 17 knots on the surface. I think it would be hilarious watching all the people cry about how their subs can't do anything in the game and need to be buffed to the level of modern nuclear submarines. Their only real option is to sit somewhere and wait for ships to pass by and that is not going to be a popular form of gameplay.

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1

Members
52 posts
2,607 battles

As long as ships have sonar, depth charges, and carrier aircraft can drop bombs or depth charges, I'm ok with it. 

Might scare players enough that they have to work together for a change. 

• Cool 1

[ONAVY]
Members
766 posts
6,284 battles
12 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I have no issue with Subs in the game, I think it would be fun to hunt them in DD's with depth charges. However, if they are going to put them in making them as realistic as possible. 5 to 7 knots submerged 17 knots on the surface. I think it would be hilarious watching all the people cry about how their subs can't do anything in the game and need to be buffed to the level of modern nuclear submarines. Their only real option is to sit somewhere and wait for ships to pass by and that is not going to be a popular form of gameplay.

I think if they add them in a way that if they are submerged they can not count twords capturing a cap, but perhaps prevent the surface ships from capturing it either since it has an enemy with in it, making it necessary to kill the sub to cap the point, or have to rely on killed ship points...sure could add some new dimensions to the battle...also the game match time perhaps may need to be increased to 15- 20 minutes?...sub captains are used to waiting in lay for prey....btw...the CD stands for Creeping Death. :) 

Edited by C_D
  • Bad 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,195 posts
8,940 battles
27 minutes ago, _cthulhu_ said:

OK so - WoWs has stated there will be no Submarines... but evidence keeps piling up that they are working on them

For example

Modeled Submarine in port

Sub Captains given as part of ARP

And now -

In the British Navy at the Beginning and End of World War II page a HUD submarine icon

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/confederate-1/

Thoughts / Conspiracy Theories?

WOT Blitz there is submarine hidden in the water on Mirage map.

• Cool 2

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,821 battles
1 minute ago, C_D said:

I think if they add them in a way that if they are submerged they can not count twords capturing a cap, but perhaps prevent the surface ships from capturing it either since it has an enemy with in it, making it necessary to kill the sub to cap the point, or have to rely on killed ship points...sure could add some new dimensions to the battle...also the game match time perhaps may need to be increased to 15- 20 minutes?...sub captains are used to waiting in lay for prey.

What most people who want subs don't understand is that Submarines played almost NO role in Naval Combat. Submarines were a strategic weapon, not a tactical one. Statistically speaking ships that maintained 15 knots cruising speed were at almost no risk to enemy submarines. Subs preyed on slow-moving merchant ships and any warships they sunk was pure luck.

• Cool 3

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,346 posts
9,513 battles
5 minutes ago, CorvetteKaptain67 said:

As long as ships have sonar, depth charges, and carrier aircraft can drop bombs or depth charges, I'm ok with it. 

Might scare players enough that they have to work together for a change. 

Yeah, could be a lot of fun. Sub play will be interesting but so will sub hunting.

• Cool 2
  • Angry 1

[ONAVY]
Members
766 posts
6,284 battles
1 minute ago, Belthorian said:

What most people who want subs don't understand is that Submarines played almost NO role in Naval Combat. Submarines were a strategic weapon, not a tactical one. Statistically speaking ships that maintained 15 knots cruising speed were at almost no risk to enemy submarines. Subs preyed on slow-moving merchant ships and any warships they sunk was pure luck.

Remember...this is Arcade style not a simulation....comon Space Battles....hello mcfly.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,346 posts
9,513 battles
1 minute ago, Belthorian said:

They did more than battleships. 

• Funny 1

Members
52 posts
2,607 battles
3 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wasp_(CV-7)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Yorktown_(CV-5)

[SBS]
Members
2,457 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, paradat said:

Yeah, could be a lot of fun. Sub play will be interesting but so will sub hunting.

I can see subs added to PvE where the players hunt them.  That could be fun.

• Cool 1

Members
3,562 posts
6,867 battles
9 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

Subs preyed on slow-moving merchant ships and any warships they sunk was pure luck.

But manned torpedoes are another matter.

Torpedo.jpg.a4e1d97fca190da72c569139b7cab710.jpg

• Cool 2

[R-F]
Members
752 posts
6,366 battles
5 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ships_sunk_by_submarines

Many, many true warships on the lists.  It's true that a lot of them were sunk while attempting to transit from one location to another rather than in a pitched naval battle... but then, how many pitched naval gunnery actions as depicted in World of Warships actually took place in WWI and II?  Only a handful.

• Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
314 posts
4,531 battles
22 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

They could spawn much further up or in the caps themselves forcing DD's and CL's to hunt them , but that would increase game length , while I think WG wants to shorten them . I can't see them in random , and definitely not in ranked or clan battles but they'd be fun in operations .

• Cool 1

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,821 battles
1 minute ago, paradat said:

They did more than battleships. 

From a strategic standpoint yes, from a tactical standpoint no.

Members
2,494 posts
5,479 battles

As some have said - this is a arcady game with sprinkled in limited reality.  The idea is to meld the two for some playful fun.   As for capping - sure why not have SUBs cap..it would be more fun!  As always ships would have depth charges in so many time intervals as well. A addition would be a seaplane option with one torpedo/or bomb for the captain to manually aim and fire. How about that?  ALL the possibilities! 

sub-icon.png

Edited by dionkraft
  • Cool 1

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
11 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

But manned torpedoes are another matter.

Torpedo.jpg.a4e1d97fca190da72c569139b7cab710.jpg

looks like a fun job...

"Daddy, What did you do in the Great World War Two"

"I was a torpedo driver son."

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,346 posts
9,513 battles
7 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

From a strategic standpoint yes, from a tactical standpoint no.

Well actually both.

Yes submarines in all theaters had devastating effects on shipping (Strategic) but they also sunk more warships than battleships did (Tactical)

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts
38 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

And why not? Campers would absolutely adore the opportunity to poke along undetected, heading for choke points, lobbing torps then dropping a few hundred feet down... To counter the potential of no damage the sub's torpedoes would likely get a damage boost. 

[F1RE]
Members
20 posts

YES!!!!  Give me Submarines; you have nothing to worry about!   It’s of no important's that was a STS2/SS on the USS Sturgeon(SSN 637). Translation:   Sonarman 2nd Class, Submarine Qualified!

The fact I am so nerdy; I still have my Sonar Whizzy Wheel and TD/Angle Range finder, Still remember those “angle on the bow” short cuts for lead. 

Yes, not big deal, I mean in Navy war games, where my sub used ships as chew toys, it only took a couple hours to kill all the surfrace ships.    You guys will fine.  (Hope they belived that, hehehe!)

Twidget  ==  What you call people that work with electronics in the Navy. 

Gray   ==  Hidden in the shadows, like Sub's. 

Edited by Twidget_Gray