You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
XpliCT_

A Discussion About Mods

63 comments in this topic

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,617 battles

So I've seen a number of different topics come out about mods recently.  With WG saying they will be putting more mods into the base game, I can't keep quiet.  I believe that while 95% of mods have no effect on gameplay, there is a small percentage that shouldn't be allowed.  I'm of course referencing the "Stop-Go" mod, the angling mod, and the "X marks the spot" mod.  These are three mods which accomplish nothing other than making the game easier to play.  

Now you could argue that making games easier to play is a good thing.  I believe it is not.  Take a game like Rocket League.  Many of you probably haven't played it, nor have some of you even heard of it.  It's basically rocket powered car soccer.  It is exactly as goofy as it sounds.  I started playing Rocket League the day it released, and was pretty good.  I wasn't a pro player or anything of the sort, but I was in the top MMR bracket and could hold my own against basically everyone.  Comparing my gameplay from then, to my gameplay now, it's absurd how much the game and skill cap has changed.  New mechanics were invented, new strategies, and most of all better decision making.  None of this was accomplished through any mods.  This was all driven by competition between top players.  It has turned the game from a small studio project into a major eSport.  

Tying this into WoWs, I do not think this game will ever be a major eSport.  I do not think that very much mechanical skill is necessary.  I do however think that there is a definite gap in skill due to player perception and attentiveness.  When you give players all the tools to make the game easier, it accomplishes nothing other than dumbing down your game.  All of the information these mods present can be deduced in some way in game, it just takes skill and perception to be able to figure it out.  This gap is what lets better players continue to be better, while giving something for worse players to strive for.  Everyone, from the largest potato to the best unicum can still learn things about this game.  When you start spoon feeding the information to the average player, you remove the incentive to learn.  

Just my $.02, I realize some people will disagree with my sentiments, but hope we can at least have a discussion about this.  

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

Members
9,962 posts

This game will never be an esport because of who plays it, not because of mods.....

Get used to the fact that the game has serious retention problems, and only a few players actually bother to "get gud".

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,617 battles
1 minute ago, AspiringCodger said:

What's the "Stop-Go" mod?

It puts a little green or red light over the top of the ship to let you know if it's moving forward or backward.  

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
Just now, AspiringCodger said:

Think it tells you whether the ship is moving forwards/backwards/stopped. Helps when they're slow moving at an angle and the smoke from the stack can't be discerned.

Members
9,962 posts

It shows a light above the ship, showing whether the ship is moving forward, stopped or moving back.

[DENY]
Members
220 posts
6,755 battles

Running Light mod, shows whether a ship is stopped, or moving forward or backward. 

Better information can be obtained by hitting 3 and aiming torpedoes, as this will also give you speed.

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
3 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

So I've seen a number of different topics come out about mods recently.  With WG saying they will be putting more mods into the base game, I can't keep quiet.  I believe that while 95% of mods have no effect on gameplay, there is a small percentage that shouldn't be allowed.  I'm of course referencing the "Stop-Go" mod, the angling mod, and the "X marks the spot" mod.  These are three mods which accomplish nothing other than making the game easier to play.  

Tying this into WoWs, I do not think this game will ever be a major eSport.  I do not think that very much mechanical skill is necessary.  I do however think that there is a definite gap in skill due to player perception and attentiveness.  When you give players all the tools to make the game easier, it accomplishes nothing other than dumbing down your game.  All of the information these mods present can be deduced in some way in game, it just takes skill and perception to be able to figure it out.  This gap is what lets better players continue to be better, while giving something for worse players to strive for.  Everyone, from the largest potato to the best unicum can still learn things about this game.  When you start spoon feeding the information to the average player, you remove the incentive to learn.  

Just my $.02, I realize some people will disagree with my sentiments, but hope we can at least have a discussion about this.  

1. I don't give ten flying bleeps if this game ever becomes a "sport" for couch potato nerds!!!  Seriously. 

2. I've never seen (to my knowledge) this "Stop-Go" (presumably otherwise known as the stoplight) mod.  But if it is what I think it is, I have no problem with it.  Why?  Because not everyone's eyes are good enough to differentiate smoke stack visual differences, particularly at long ranges.  (It might help if it were possible to zoom in more.)  Furthermore, any ship that has torpedoes has an advantage over those that don't because all anyone has to do is hit the '3' key and they have instant speed information on any spotted enemy ship.  IMO, all ships should have access to this information, whether they have torp launchers or not.  And, IIRC, even WG has said that there are some issues with the rendering of smoke stack smoke at range, so it seems to me that some sort of clearly visible information in this regard is a good thing.

3. The angling mod:  I think I've seen this one, and I have not a single problem with this in the game.  Related topic, I think that the game needs one of those spider web-y like reticles as a dynamic reticle.  I haven't used static reticles since the game went live, because the dynamic ONE (and only one) is soooo much better.

4. The X marks the spot mod.  I absolutely support this in the client.  Why?  Because it's REALISTIC.  First off, there's no reason that, say, an Atlanta shouldn't be able to continue to shoot over the island they were shooting over a second before while they had target lock, but currently can't.  Naval ships aim for map locations whenever they would be conducting shore bombardment!  There's no reason whatsoever that they couldn't do the same thing at sea.  To me, this mod is of limited utility anyways.  

A. Can shoot over terrain without a target lock that you currently can't,

B. Can shoot at the last known spot an enemy ship was spotted. 

The enemy only has to move from that position where he was last spotted to be fairly safe from this sort of aimed fire.  if anything, this mod would punish players who are lazy about their positioning, particularly those using smoke.

In short, I disagree with every one of these items.  I'm all for banning mods that are truly wrong, but I don't see these as cheating at all.  I don't give a damn whether a game becomes a bleeping couch potato "sport".  I only care about it being a fun online game for regular people to play.

• Cool 6
  • Bad 3

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
3 minutes ago, AspiringCodger said:

its for people that cant figure out what a smokestack is telling them.  

Edited by Dr_Dirt
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2
  • Angry 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,405 posts
3,875 battles
24 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Tying this into WoWs, I do not think this game will ever be a major eSport.

World of Warships was never E-Sport material, and incorporating mods like Navigator or Running Lights are not going to change that.

4 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

It's for when the game refuses to render the smoke from the smokestack, actually. A well known and documented, widespread bug as old as the game itself.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,837 posts
1,327 battles
2 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

My understanding is that there's a known bug with smoke rendering at longer ranges.  I don't have it on my computer, but I could see it happening with higher latency, or slower computers.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,728 posts

I don't have problems adding mods to the game in general.

I don't have any problems with the stop go mod in specific. As a DD player I can and do use my torpedo aim assist to see what the enemy is doing. That guy behind the island, is he turning, speeding up, angling, I can't see him but my handy aim assist tells me all sorts of information.

These mods level the field a bit

[DOG]
Members
432 posts
5,756 battles
16 minutes ago, Crucis said:

4. The X marks the spot mod.  I absolutely support this in the client.  Why?  Because it's REALISTIC.  First off, there's no reason that, say, an Atlanta shouldn't be able to continue to shoot over the island they were shooting over a second before while they had target lock, but currently can't.  Naval ships aim for map locations whenever they would be conducting shore bombardment!  There's no reason whatsoever that they couldn't do the same thing at sea.  To me, this mod is of limited utility anyways.  

A. Can shoot over terrain without a target lock that you currently can't,

B. Can shoot at the last known spot an enemy ship was spotted. 

Ahh.  I've wondered about this.  On numerous occasions I've been firing at a ship which suddenly ducks behind an island.  I fire my guns again, estimating where the target would be now, and suddenly my gun arcs go from rainbows to lasers, smacking the island instead of going over it, even though I haven't adjusted the elevation for my aiming..  So it's not just my imagination.  And this mod let's you blind fire where you estimate a target would be?  That sounds like a good thing.

Edited by zubalkabir

[WAG]
Members
393 posts
7,510 battles
19 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

Once I have set the superstructure of my target on fire the smokestack smoke is usually obscured by the smoke from the fire.

• Bad 1

[WAG]
Members
393 posts
7,510 battles

I gave up on mods simply because it was too much of a pain to keep them updated. While I liked some, I don't feel they gave that much of an edge.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,563 posts
3,751 battles

....And the one mod, coloured tracers that needs to be in the game as an option gets ignored. I'm tired of trying to squint at pixels to see if my shots are landing.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,227 battles
1 minute ago, DustRhino said:

I gave up on mods simply because it was too much of a pain to keep them updated. While I liked some, I don't feel they gave that much of an edge.

Yeh true... i usually have like 20 mods installed so its pretty hard sometimes to keep it all updated

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,227 battles
2 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

....And the one mod, coloured tracers that needs to be in the game as an option gets ignored. I'm tired of trying to squint at pixels to see if my shots are landing.

Yeh. Some maps where your facing the sun, you lost track of ap shells immediately. Dunno where they go till the splash or hit enemy ship ribbon

Edited by JessieTheKitty

[TSPC]
Beta Testers
1,109 posts
10,253 battles
43 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

It puts a little green or red light over the top of the ship to let you know if it's moving forward or backward.  

can't you already see this from looking at the smoke? or the bow wave if end on

• Bad 3

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
12 minutes ago, RobertViktor68 said:

can't you already see this from looking at the smoke? or the bow wave if end on

No, as a matter of fact, people can't.  The devs have, I think, already said that there's some sort of rendering issue with smoke at longer ranges.  And that doesn't address the fact that some players' vision just isn't that good and have a difficult time seeing the smoke.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[TSPC]
Beta Testers
1,109 posts
10,253 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

No, as a matter of fact, people can't.  The devs have, I think, already said that there's some sort of rendering issue with smoke at longer ranges.  And that doesn't address the fact that some players' vision just isn't that good and have a difficult time seeing the smoke.

well, I can..... and who fights at long range?  I dont shoot at anything over 15k

• Bad 3

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,096 posts
12,657 battles

You guys ignored the main reason the devs said the X-mod is considered okay: the information is already being shown on your screen, just in a less understandable form.

It's right here.

1rFyTqt.png

All the mod does is draw an X on your minimap, in the direction your camera line is facing, at that distance.

It does NOT allow you to blind fire over islands if the targeting cursor isn't already locked to a target behind that island, just as you can't currently. If you try, your guns will try to target the island itself, just as they always have.

• Cool 2

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,617 battles
8 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

You guys ignored the main reason the devs said the X-mod is considered okay: the information is already being shown on your screen, just in a less understandable form.

It's right here.

1rFyTqt.png

All the mod does is draw an X on your minimap, in the direction your camera line is facing, at that distance.

It does NOT allow you to blind fire over islands if the targeting cursor isn't already locked to a target behind that island, just as you can't currently. If you try, your guns will try to target the island itself, just as they always have.

And this is exactly my problem with it.  It just spoon feeds the information to players who don't care to learn it.  Making the game easier does not make the game better imo.  

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,227 battles
10 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

It's right here.

1rFyTqt.png

no they said they where going to implement a way of firing with the mini map. therefore. firing over islands.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,405 posts
3,875 battles
13 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

And this is exactly my problem with it.  It just spoon feeds the information to players who don't care to learn it.  Making the game easier does not make the game better imo.  

So according to your logic, a power drill spoonfeeds the ability to drive screws, and invalidates the skills of people who mastered screwdrivers?

Does a pneumatic nail gun spoonfeed the ability to drive nails and people should just get more skilled with a hammer?

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2